First long journey in my zs ev Trophy long range

Hi, I am easily coming to a 220 miles plus on a motorway with all the heaters, music, lights, etc ON all the time, given I don't drive faster than 50-55 mph. Same model, long range battery
I'm not sure it's normal behaviour to drive at 55mph on a motorway....

I'm just back from a 350 mile round trip, going I averaged 3.2 mls/kWh which would give me a total range of 218 miles full to absolutely empty. Coming back the traffic was a bit heavier and I averaged 3.6mls/kwh. Exact same route but going the other way, that would get you 245 miles.

In reality though you tend to start looking for a charger at with 20% remaining, if I was doing a 200 mile trip I'd stick it on charge for 15 minutes somewhere to be on the safe side, it's likely you'd need to stop after driving for that long anyway.

200 mile one way trip this week with the heater on most of the way and radio and other devices would I have any problem not to run out of juice
Wowa, My ZS 2022 long range 256 charge did 200 miles today from Bath to Broadstairs, with 50 miles left. Drove in eco 65 mile per hour . Didn’t have heating on , did have to de mist every now and then. Can’t say if I used heater, maybe would just have made it,

I'm not sure it's normal behaviour to drive at 55mph on a motorway....

I'm just back from a 350 mile round trip, going I averaged 3.2 mls/kWh which would give me a total range of 218 miles full to absolutely empty. Coming back the traffic was a bit heavier and I averaged 3.6mls/kwh. Exact same route but going the other way, that would get you 245 miles.

In reality though you tend to start looking for a charger at with 20% remaining, if I was doing a 200 mile trip I'd stick it on charge for 15 minutes somewhere to be on the safe side, it's likely you'd need to stop after driving for that long anyway.
Why judging and naming is so popular here? Indeed , it is rather normal to drive at 55 mph for the trucks , so why not my EV if it brings me + 60 miles of range!

Why judging and naming is so popular here? Indeed , it is rather normal to drive at 55 mph for the trucks , so why not my EV if it brings me + 60 miles of range!
I'm not 'judging' or 'naming' anyone. I'm pointing out that most people buying these cars will expect to be driving them at a little more that 55mph on a motorway, with the heating on.

If it works for you, great, but I doubt many will be doing it, nor should they be expected to to get an acceptable range.

Obviously you CAN travel without the wife and exceed 300 miles on a charge, however I would suggest that mine requires a few comforts whilst travelling in -4 an thus get around 180 in this cold snap!

Congrats on planning the road trip. Could be tight but start off and adjust speed, consumption accordingly if you look like running low on juice.

No harm in a quick charge on the way if convenient. Sometimes we overthink these things. Just enjoy the trip and if u need a charge, or cuppa, just stop n charge at same time.

Happy road tripping.

200 mile one way trip this week with the heater on most of the way and radio and other devices would I have any problem not to run out of juice
This time of the year I doubt it would do the entire journey on one charge. We've just done 2x200 mile trips, Exeter to near Manchester & return, starting with 100% charge (281 miles). Cruise control was set to 60 mph. On both occasions we stopped for lunch about 2/3 of the distance as charge had already dropped to less than 40 - 50%. It took just 20 minutes to get back up to 80% each time. Looking at the charge left when we got home again today, I reckon that without recharging en-route the car would have come to a stop about 5 miles before we reached home. Far better to charge up en route at a time you'd have taken a break anyway, rather than wondering for the last few miles whether or not you're going to make it.

That's because UK trucks are limited to 55mph on the motorway.... They legally cannot go any faster.

Different HGV companies limit to different speeds some only 52mph some 58mph (down to fuel saving?) but legal limit is 60mph

I believe larger trucks have limiters set to 60mph.
I do a 225 mile one way trip in my Mk1 regularly. It takes just over 4 hours driving and I stop once at about 135 miles for a recharge and lunch. You have to be careful about the rapid charge limit of 80% which means the second leg must be much shorter than the first. I do not use heater except for short periods, heated seats are better. I'm afraid the old days of blasting down the motorway at 80mph have gone with an EV. Great care must be taken! However, I'm sure the LR version will make life much easier.
 A

I rarely find lorries managing 60 on the motorway.
Most seem to be limited at around 56/57mph.

That could be down to the accuracy of the limiters, and/or the person setting them!
Every mph below saves fuel!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom