First public charging - nervous?

Those screenshots look good - I might try that app.
It'd be great if it all worked easier in real time. ...
WattsUp doesn't work with AA or Carplay but if you use the navigation by clicking on the Just Go button on the first screen it displays the nearest chargers as you proceed on your journey across a scrolling banner at the bottom of the screen.
I have never needed to use that as I have already selected an area/chargers to aim for on the other screen. When inputting a 'new journey' one of the options other than putting in a destination is 'nearest charger'. If you choose that it brings up a list of all chargers nearby with their supplier and availability. Click on it and it plans a route to it for you.
It's a pretty nifty app which many don't seem to be aware of.
It doesn't have access to live status for all chargers, but enough including Instavolt, Osprey, Gridserve, and others to make it very worthwhile.

Hi Brian, have you had any issues with chargeplace Scotland fast chargers? Only the 7kw or less work for mine. I've used faster chargers with Genie and Evolt.

I've got a ChargePlace Scotland fast charger only five minutes walk from my house and I've never had an issue with it. This evening I got home with only 19% charge, dropped the car off at the charger on my way, walked the last 400 yards, got the kettle on and the central heating going, then walked back to stop the charge just before the overstay fine would start to kick in.

The car was by then (54 minutes and 30 seconds later) at 85% charge. Now I only have to top it off on the granny charger and it will be ready for anything tomorrow brings.

I should say that the trip I just returned from was my own maiden voyage, having had the car for less than a month.

I arranged to stay with friends in Yorkshire for a couple of days. I drove A701-M74-M6-A65 to Halifax. I looked up all the relevant chargers on the way, and made a list of the distances involved. Because the journey was a lot less than twice the practical range of the car, I had multiple options. I charged at Southwaite services, successfully, getting enough to take me to my destination. After charging I thought the charger was refusing to release my car, but realised that I had been so slow it thought it had a new customer! I re-presented my card then aborted the charge, and the car was released. I checked the chargers at Killington Lake and they were working, but didn't stop. I have that pegged as a good stop in future though - decent restaurant!

I also checked Kirkby Lonsdale and decided to charge again there so that I would arrive with decent range remaining in case I had problems with the public type 2 chargers outside my friend's house. However these chargers proved to be OK, because I had taken the precaution of downloading the app they needed on to my phone a few days before setting off (the motorway and Kirkby Londsdale ones all took my debit card).

On the way back I was getting more confident and decided to go as far as Gretna before stopping. Pro tip. Do not leave the motorway at the Gretna exit and drive through the town, the service station is north of the town and the exit for it was after I ended up back on the M74, slightly confused. It has four Gridserve connectors and 12 AppleGreen connectors (plus some Tesla-only).

I had a lot of trouble with the AppleGreen charger I parked at, although other people were charging happily at them. Twice or three times I got "the car did something unexpected" and charging didn't start. This charger took a £30 pre-authorisation fee from me each time, so I'm going to have to see how I get that back, as I didn't get a single electron from them.

I moved the car to a Gridserve charger and all seemed to go swimmingly. Gridserve did not require a pre-authorisation fee either. However, once the car was up to 67% charging stopped, and the charger had acquired a big "out of order" sign on its screen. I had to use the app to get the car to let go of the charging cable, but that was OK. I had enough charge to get home after that, so it was no problem. (I began to wonder if my car was jinxing the things, but it has just worked perfectly on the ChargePlace Scotland charger at the end of my own road, so I think not.)

In the interests of research I drove into Annandale Water and Abington as well (going home via the A702). Annandale Water has only two Gridserve connectors as far as I could see, but one was in use and the other was free. It's a nicer stop than Gretna. There was a lot of digging and activity going on next to the chargers and I wonder if the dreaded AppleGreen is installing a bank of the things there too. Abington had no less than 16 of these AppleGreen connectors, plus some Gridserve ones as well - four I think.

A few observations.

All of these charge points were situated handily close to the service station food courts. However none had any shelter from the elements or, as far as I could see, lighting. Fine on a sunny day in May, not so much fun at night or in the rain I don't imagine. A roof with lighting (like a petrol forecourt) would make one hell of a lot of difference and would make lone female EV drivers feel safer. (Actually the sun was sometimes a problem as regards seeing charger or phone screens.)

On the southbound leg I didn't see a single sign pointing drivers to the EV charging area. Take a good guess, really. On the northbound leg there were signs, best at Gretna, although they weren't very large. Half the reason for all this was to find out where the chargers were at these service stations so that come Christmas I would be able to find them in the dark. The answer seems to be, they're usually at the end of the car park nearest the food court entrance.

I'm realising that EV charging is likely to be pretty unpleasant in the rain. I'm used to driving in ordinary clothes, knowing that petrol forecourts will have roofs, and even if there is a gap between the roof and the shop area, it's only a quick sprint. With an EV one is going to have to be prepared to get out of the car and do everything necessary to get it connected to the charger and charging underway in the pouring rain with no shelter, then walk maybe 50 yards to the shelter of the food court. I'm going to look at some sort of waterproof coat and think about what shoes I should be wearing if the weather isn't fine.

Last edited:
I should say that the trip I just returned from was my own maiden voyage, having had the car for less than a month.

I arranged to stay with friends in Yorkshire for a couple of days. I drove A701-M74-M6-A65 to Halifax. I looked up all the relevant chargers on the way, and made a list of the distances involved. Because the journey was a lot less than twice the practical range of the car, I had multiple options. I charged at Southwaite services, successfully, getting enough to take me to my destination. After charging I thought the charger was refusing to release my car, but realised that I had been so slow it thought it had a new customer! I re-presented my card then aborted the charge, and the car waas released. I checked the chargers at Killington Lake and they were working, but didn't stop. I have that pegged as a good stop in future though - decent restaurant!

I also checked Kirkby Lonsdale and decided to charge again there so that I would arrive with decent range remaining in case I had problems with the public type 2 chargers outside my friend's house. However these chargers proved to be OK, because I had taken the precaution of downloading the app they needed on to my phone a few days before setting off (the motorway and Kirkby Londsdale ones all took my debit card).

On the way back I was getting more confident and decided to go as far as Gretna before stopping. Pro tip. Do not leave the motorway at the Gretna exit and drive through the town, the service station is north of the town and the exit for it was after I ended up back on the M74, slightly confused. It has four Gridserve connectors and 12 AppleGreen connectors (plus some Tesla-only).

I had a lot of trouble with the AppleGreen charger I parked at, although other people were charging happily at them. Twice or three times I got "the car did something unexpected" and charging didn't start. This charger took a £30 pre-authorisation fee from me each time, so I'm going to have to see how I get that back, as I didn't get a single electron from them.

I moved the car to a Gridserve charger and all seemed to go swimmingly. Gridserve did not require a pre-authorisation fee either. However, once the car was up to 67% charging stopped, and the charger had acquired a big "out of order" sign on its screen. I had to use the app to get the car to let go of the charging cable, but that was OK. I had enough charge to get home after that, so it was no problem. (I began to wonder if my car was jinxing the things, but it has just worked perfectly on the ChargePlace Scotland charger at the end of my own road, so I think not.)

In the interests of research I drove into Annandale Water and Abington as well. Annandale Water has only two Gridserve connectors as far as I could see, but one was in use and the other was free. It's a nicer stop than Gretna. There was a lot of digging and activity going on next to the chargers and I wonder if the dreaded AppleGreen is installing a bank of the things there too. Abington had no less than 16 of these AppleGreen connectors, plus some Gridserve ones as well - four I think.

A few observations.

All of these charge points were situated handily close to the service station food courts. However none had any shelter from the elements or, as far as I could see, lighting. Fine on a sunny day in May, not so much fun at night or in the rain I don't imagine. A roof with lighting (like a petrol forecourt) would make one hell of a lot of difference and would make lone female EV drivers feel safer. (Actually the sun was sometimes a problem as regards seeing charger or phone screens.)

On the southbound leg I didn't see a single sign pointing drivers to the EV charging area. Take a good guess, really. On the northbound leg there were signs, best at Gretna, although they weren't very large. Half the reason for all this was to find out where the chargers were at these service stations so that come Christmas I would be able to find them in the dark. The answer seems to be, they're usually at the end of the car park nearest the food court entrance.

I'm realising that EV charging is likely to be pretty unpleasant in the rain. I'm used to driving in ordinary clothes, knowing that petrol forecourts will have roofs, and even if there is a gap between the roof and the shop area, it's only a quick sprint. With an EV one is going to have to be prepared to get out of the car and do everything necessary to get it connected to the charger and charging underway in the pouring rain with no shelter, then walk maybe 50 yards to the shelter of the food court. I'm going to look at some sort of waterproof coat and think about what shoes I should be wearing if the weather isn't fine.
Excellent report. Yes I carry extra waterproof jackets along with hats, gloves, umbrellas and high vis vests as well. So, along with my wife’s electric disability scooter and spare wheel, emergency battery charger and granny plus extension for the car etc. we’re pretty much loaded all the time.
Oh yeah and I forgot to mention the ten mil spanner clutched by Morris, the MG bear on the dashboard, that used to be handed out free at every service along with your next year’s AA membership.
DDA6AB67-25A1-4B05-A824-F88C851A0707.jpeg

Funnily enough, the few rare occasions I've had problem with chargers (Electric Highway x 2, Instavolt x 1), it was raining cats and dogs. :)

I think, after doing all this, the best advice for the newbie I can think of is, leave plenty of time if at all possible, and charge one more time than you really need to. This will avoid the possibility of finding yourself running low and a panic starting. It will also give you more experience of using public chargers, and add to your stock of knowledge of charging places.

On my way south I didn't have to charge at Kirkby Lonsdale but I did it anyway, partly for the practice with an Instavolt charger, and partly so that I would have a good range remaining when I arrived at my destination in case there was a problem with the chargers there.

On my way back north I had got a lot braver and although I had initially decided to charge at Southwaite, changed my mind and went on to Gretna instead. I had a slightly nasty moment at Gretna when I wondered if I had possibly missed the exit from the motorway to the service station, but I knew I had enough in hand to have got me to Annandale Water if need be. I also knew that if I was thrown off course like that I could extend the car's range a fair bit simply by slowing down.

In June, I'll need to make a return journey of 350 miles (without the wife as a passenger) but have never needed to use public chargers on shorter sub 200 mile trips. TBH, I'm bricking it.
I know I shouldn't worry but having never done it before, it's the unknown that gets me. Zap Map has helped me somewhat, having set filters for fast (>50kW) chargers., so at least I have some options on the way back.
You've all been there before, so what was it like the first time you used a public charger and should I be concerned?
Don’t worry - we all employed the bricks at some stage 😁 We drove all round the Isle of Mull ( large island, tiny fabulous single track roads and VERY few chargers. Then headed for the last ferry of the day. With an hour or so to spare and running thin on electrons, we found it impossible to connect to the single charger. 🤦‍♂️ Panic🤦‍♂️ Then the guy from a nearby house drove in and got it to give us some power. The ferry arrived and we got to Oban and drove home safe and sound - aw boo - we love the islands and would have been chuffed to be stranded and looking for accommodation 🤣🤣
We’re retired and there’s always another way to get a charge if you take granny along 🫶

Myself and a friend ate our way round Mull for a few days in 2012. My only sadness was we had to do it in a crappy hired Toyota instead of in my (then) three-year-old Golf GTi Mk6. Because the Golf's engine blew up catastrophically only a few days before we were due to go. At least it had the decency to do it within the three-year warranty period (by about three months) and I got a new engine for free.

I still remember answering my mobile phone in a bookshop in Tobermory and it was my VW dealer to say "your car's ready". Until that moment I hadn't been certain VW were going to deal with it under the warranty as they had been trying to weasel out.

Myself and a friend ate our way round Mull for a few days in 2012. My only sadness was we had to do it in a crappy hired Toyota instead of in my (then) three-year-old Golf GTi Mk6. Because the Golf's engine blew up catastrophically only a few days before we were due to go. At least it had the decency to do it within the three-year warranty period (by about three months) and I got a new engine for free.

I still remember answering my mobile phone in a bookshop in Tobermory and it was my VW dealer to say "your car's ready". Until that moment I hadn't been certain VW were going to deal with it under the warranty as they had been trying to weasel out.
He he that’s why Mull is good. All yon seafood and venison is hard for the poor foodie to ignore.
We were “sailing” round Mull when it went flat calm for a couple of days. The old engine in the boat started playing up so we went in to Tobermory and anchored there for three days. Two wives spent the time ashore leaving two guys roasting in glorious sunshine pulling the single cylinder Volvo engine to bits. We discovered one of the valve springs was broken and despaired of ever living to see home again.
The ladies came back and said someone had advised enquiring at the butchers ?🤷‍♂️
First thing next morning I was in the queue after a lady buying sausages and duly asked for a valve spring - the shop fell about laughing - but the butcher took me
round to his garage where despite a lengthy search and finding a number of valve springs, nothing came close.
We still had no wind to puff out the sails so lashed the wee rubber dingy to the 27 foot 9 ton yacht and with a couple of gallons of petrol refilled the tiny tank on the equally minuscule incessantly buzzing Seabee outboard motor and crept back to Oban narrowly missing two of the wildest tides around, the Dorus Mor and the Corrievrechan whirlpools between Jura and Scarba. By some lucky quirk we hit both in near pitch dark with no wind or tidal movements going on.
We made it home and dreamed of a mythical silent effortless means of transport but contented ourselves that those were silly dreams never achievable for ordinary folks 🤩🤩

I think, after doing all this, the best advice for the newbie I can think of is, leave plenty of time if at all possible, and charge one more time than you really need to. This will avoid the possibility of finding yourself running low and a panic starting. It will also give you more experience of using public chargers, and add to your stock of knowledge of charging places.

On my way south I didn't have to charge at Kirkby Lonsdale but I did it anyway, partly for the practice with an Instavolt charger, and partly so that I would have a good range remaining when I arrived at my destination in case there was a problem with the chargers there.

On my way back north I had got a lot braver and although I had initially decided to charge at Southwaite, changed my mind and went on to Gretna instead. I had a slightly nasty moment at Gretna when I wondered if I had possibly missed the exit from the motorway to the service station, but I knew I had enough in hand to have got me to Annandale Water if need be. I also knew that if I was thrown off course like that I could extend the car's range a fair bit simply by slowing down.
This is a good ploy (bolded in your post) and one I use all the time. Conversely when travelling home, aim for as low as you dare. :)

This is a good ploy (bolded in your post) and one I use all the time. Conversely when travelling home, aim for as low as you dare. :)
When travelling home, I always look at the miles on the sat-nav and the predicted miles on the GOM. Subtract the first from the second and if it's around 20 miles, I'm happy.

When travelling home, I always look at the miles on the sat-nav and the predicted miles on the GOM. Subtract the first from the second and if it's around 20 miles, I'm happy.

That's what I actually did, although not really by design. I had planned a single stop at Gretna, which was about 120 miles into my journey and maybe 70 miles from home. Give or take. I knew if I had trouble at Gretna I still had enough to get to Abington Water. (Let's face it, I was not driving economically, I was having way too much fun. If I'd been driving like Miss Daisy I could probably have got all the way.)

After some difficulty with the first charger I tried to charge from at Gretna I got the car charging on the second one and went off to find a loo, then a coffee. I hadn't really calculated what I should be taking from the expensive Gridserve system, I was just letting it run. However, when I finished the coffee and looked to see what was going on, I discovered the Gridserve connector had stopped charging when the car was at 67%. It was now displaying a notice saying it was out of order!

Of course I knew that 67% would easily get me home. I had to use the app to get the car to let go of the cable, but that worked, and off I went. I was on 19% by the time I got home, plenty and to spare. Gridserve obviously knew my situation and was saving me money!

I did wonder if there was a problem with the car, given that before I went on to the Gridserve charger an Applegreen charger had three times failed to communicate with it, saying "the car did something unexpected". Whatever that meant. But it has since charged quite normally both on a ChargePlace Scotland CCS charger and on the granny charger, so I guess it was coincidence.

I've got another trip on Thursday/Friday. Sadly, I have to attend the funeral of a friend's mother on Friday morning. The round trip is only about 160 miles, maybe say 170 to allow for contingencies, but it involves a ferry crossing (and back, of course).

I could simply aim to do it on one charge, with the contingency plan of stopping at either Carluke or Carstairs on the way home if I think it's looking tight. Both of these are single ChargePlace Scotland CCS connectors, but they also have additional type 2 connectors which would give me something if the DC connector was out of service. DC price 40p, AC price 27p. This is actually the sensible move, and I need to check these two chargers out as they are going to be my emergency backup on the way home on a regular basis if I think I don't have enough range.

On the other hand I have to stay the night in Largs because the funeral is quite early. There is a single CCS Instavolt connector at a petrol station close to the hotel where I will be staying. I could go out for a little while on the Thursday evening and pick up a few KWh there, at 75p/unit, and know I wouldn't have to worry about anything on the day of the funeral itself. Expensive, but on the other hand I wouldn't need much, and to be honest in the context of what this trip is costing me for hotel and ferry it's neither here nor there. Or yet again, I could drive a bit further to the other side of town where there is a ChargePlace Scotland CCS connector at 30p/unit.

Nothing wrong with any of these plans, it's just that I don't have enough experience to know which is the best one. This will come with time I suppose. I suppose there's something to be said for trying to do it on one charge, for the experience of checking out the Carluke and Carstairs charge-points.

I've got another trip on Thursday/Friday. Sadly, I have to attend the funeral of a friend's mother on Friday morning. The round trip is only about 160 miles, maybe say 170 to allow for contingencies, but it involves a ferry crossing (and back, of course).

I could simply aim to do it on one charge, with the contingency plan of stopping at either Carluke or Carstairs on the way home if I think it's looking tight. Both of these are single ChargePlace Scotland CCS connectors, but they also have additional type 2 connectors which would give me something if the DC connector was out of service. DC price 40p, AC price 27p. This is actually the sensible move, and I need to check these two chargers out as they are going to be my emergency backup on the way home on a regular basis if I think I don't have enough range.

On the other hand I have to stay the night in Largs because the funeral is quite early. There is a single CCS Instavolt connector at a petrol station close to the hotel where I will be staying. I could go out for a little while on the Thursday evening and pick up a few KWh there, at 75p/unit, and know I wouldn't have to worry about anything on the day of the funeral itself. Expensive, but on the other hand I wouldn't need much, and to be honest in the context of what this trip is costing me for hotel and ferry it's neither here nor there. Or yet again, I could drive a bit further to the other side of town where there is a ChargePlace Scotland CCS connector at 30p/unit.

Nothing wrong with any of these plans, it's just that I don't have enough experience to know which is the best one. This will come with time I suppose. I suppose there's something to be said for trying to do it on one charge, for the experience of checking out the Carluke and Carstairs charge-points.
You've got the right idea of having a plan B and plan C. :)

P.S. Instavolt, although now expensive, have a great reputation for reliability and customer service on the help line.

I used an Instavolt in a supermarket car park in Kirkby Lonsdale last week, and it was very straightforward, no hassle at all, and seemed very quick.

I think I'll see how much juice I have left in the battery when I arrive at Largs on Thursday night. If it looks reasonable to aim to complete the return journey without recharging I'll give it a go, but if I'm already so low that I'll probably have to recharge somewhere, picking up some electrons in Largs so I don't have to worry about it at all on the Friday probably makes better sense.

Last edited:
Agreed, see what state
I used an Instavolt in a supermarket car park in Kirkby Lonsdale last week, and it was very straightforward, no hassle at all, and seemed very quick.

I think I'll see how much juice I have left in the battery when I arrive at Largs on Thursday night. If it looks reasonable to aim to complete the return journey without recharging I'll give it a go, but if I'm already so low that I'll probably have to recharge somewhere, picking up some electrons in Largs so I don't have to worry about it at all on the Friday probably makes better sense.
Agreed, see what state you are at and plan from there. If in doubt stick 3 quids worth in at the Instavolt whilst you're not doing anything else and have a break free journey back.
There are no rules as to how little you can put in, in fact I put just £1 worth in from a Gridserve 350kW at Wetherby Moto Services the other week. Not sure if the couple sat in the car in the next bay thought I was mad, didn't know what I was doing or what. :)

Agreed, see what state

Agreed, see what state you are at and plan from there. If in doubt stick 3 quids worth in at the Instavolt whilst you're not doing anything else and have a break free journey back.
There are no rules as to how little you can put in, in fact I put just £1 worth in from a Gridserve 350kW at Wetherby Moto Services the other week. Not sure if the couple sat in the car in the next bay thought I was mad, didn't know what I was doing or what. :)
I believe some do have a minimum spend, usually around £5, but couldn't tell you which ones.

Not sure if there is a better thread to post this….

I have a 10 month old MG 4 and I’m planning a long trip in two weeks, so I thought I’d better test out the C.C.S. charging for the first time. It failed to communicate with the car at Shell Recharge BP pulse and grid serve on different charges at each location. Contacted my dealer, who couldn’t look at the car for four weeks, even though I told him this was a disaster and still in warranty. All they could suggest was try other dealers. I’ve read a few other posts about the software might need to be updated but is there a way I can check what module and all version number I need to be looking for or asking for?
Thanks

Tip: whilst the car is negotiating with the charger, physically hold up the CCS plug into the car port so that the smaller pins at the top of the port make proper connection. If the connection breaks (e.g. because the weight of the cable causes the plug to tilt down and so pull the top pins away) then the negotiation will fail. Once the charge has started then you can carefully let go of the plug.

I'm not saying that this is your issue, just that it's something to try. I've not had any problems with Gridserve chargers, but I've read about people having issues with BP Pulse especially, and perhaps also Shell.

I'm presuming you haven't got a scheduled charge set up.
My routine is:
Power down car
Lock car
Unlock car
Follow charger instructions but if these don't work, plug in charger before doing anything. Then follow charger instructions.
Lock the car
If you don't have the charger's app, it may be worth loading this and setting up your credit card on it.
Follow instructions on app or charger.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom