First road trip was going so well… (Window broke)

Brettus

Established Member
Solutions
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 XPOWER
IMG_4962.jpeg

50 miles from home a stone chip scared the shizz out of me and ruined my night 😩
Waiting on roadside assistance to recover me to home and figure out WTF to do tomorrow. Suggestions appreciated, can’t think right now. I’m assuming auto glass or something as it’s likely not covered by much or is it insurance?IMG_4963.jpeg
Letting the cold night in, but I’m using some of the remaining battery to keep warm (I’m off the motorway on a junction slip road hard shoulder with little traffic)

Last edited:
Commiserations, that's a horrible thing to have happen to you. At least it isn't the windscreen though. Worth thinking about whether you want to lose your no-claim bonus over that. (Disclaimer, I have no idea how much it's likely to cost.)

Couldn't you have driven home? Even freezing? It's legal to drive with a window open I think. But no, I see where you're coming from.

Good point re NCB, likely best to swallow the cost.
It’s been a long day (I hiked Scafell Pike with my brother earlier today) so I’m not thinking my best at the moment.
Still waiting on recovery at least. I did wonder about driving it back but then it started coming apart and I got unsure and just got off the motorway. Thinking back I could’ve knocked it out maybe and gone home. :-/

It depends on how you're placed. I know my first instinct would have been to continue home, slowly, but that might well have been the wrong call.

Home safe at least, needed to be relayed as the AA guy had run out of hours so it got outsourced when I was moved to a services. Sigh, back to the sink burner tomorrow (today) and see what availability of the glass is like.

You've only had your car a couple of weeks! This is a year's bad luck all in one go. Still, I think bodywork damage might have been worse. Just get the window replaced and it will all be as if it had never happened.

@Brettus that's rank- glad no harm to you but what a pain in the proverbial. Claimed for a decent crack (not shattered but still needed replaced) on ID.3, premium didn't go up 🤷‍♂️. Fingers crossed for you!

I had to get my windscreen on my Xceed Phev changed due to heavy scratches. Would have cost £1260 privately, but done under insurance (Admiral/Autoglass) for £125 excess

Ouch ... sorry to see that ....that looks scary late at night . At least everyone is OK and you got back home safely.

Oof, insurance doesn’t have glass cover it seems, auto glass don’t have stock and it’s £800 when they do.
Anyone have any suggestions before I pony up and wait?
Have insured my old car for 28 days just so I’ve got mobility and the MG4 has crash wrap on it to weather proof it at least.

Oof, insurance doesn’t have glass cover it seems, auto glass don’t have stock and it’s £800 when they do.
Have insured my old car for 28 days just so I’ve got mobility and the MG4 has crash wrap on it to weather proof it at least.
Ouch! - never come across this before though (i've probably had 5-10 glass claims in 40 years), in-that glass claims have always been covered (less excess), which doesn't affect your NCB. A replacement can be obtained via the dealer which (at least for a VW) is around £200. I find national windscreens much more helpful than autoglass - they should also be able to do a temporary repair (fendwrap), until they get in a replacement.

Last edited:
Ouch! - never come across this before though (i've probably had 5-10 glass claims in 40 years), in-that glass claims have always been covered (less excess), which doesn't affect your NCB. A replacement can be obtained via the dealer which (at least for a VW) is around £200.
I was going by this, might be why it was the cheapest quote as they skip bits 🤷🏼‍♂️
IMG_4970.jpeg
Will see what the dealer says if they’ve got a better cost and maybe stock, that’s a good shout. Brain still not quite on the job with 4.5 hours sleep the last two nights and a super long day yesterday.

Thanks all!

Try the EV breaker on eBay. They’ve had a MG4 in the past, you could maybe get a window from them, and if so, it would be nowhere near that cost

256192189768 is the item number for one of the MG4s, but there are others on there as well.

Try the EV breaker on eBay. They’ve had a MG4 in the past, you could maybe get a window from them, and if so, it would be nowhere near that cost

256192189768 is the item number for one of the MG4s, but there are others on there as well.
ASM have a breaking MG4 - Normally they sell the doors whole - item 404500503094 , but they might do a deal - your best bet is direct with your local MG parts department in the morning - better check my insurance

Glad everyone was OK after this. First time I have seen a flying stone break a side window and am now thinking is this down to the way the aero on the car works or was it just the most random set of circumstances. (I have owned cars that are more susceptible to windscreen damage due to car height and screen angle.)

I suspect everyone is now reading the small print in their own insurance policy to see what glass is covered.

This page on the Go Compare website might provide info on other things to check for in your policy

ASM have a breaking MG4 - Normally they sell the doors whole - item 404500503094 , but they might do a deal - your best bet is direct with your local MG parts department in the morning - better check my insurance
I have a £75 excess for any glass breakage (including the windscreen) and it’s free if it can be fixed with resin.

Commiserations Brettus , I would imagine the the glass in the X power is the same as the rest of the range, I did notice when cleaning mine the the side glass is very much thinner than on my old Peugeot, I don,t know if this is a modern trend or just MG, and if it also includes the windscreen thickness dimensions. I realise thinner is lighter but will breakages become a more common feature in this forum.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 514 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 87 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back