First service at 15k

Have you had a car before? If so you ought to know that not much is done in most services, particularly interim ones where no oil, filters or anything is changed. Those where something is changed cost considerably more. But at least you'll have less of them with an EV - no plugs, oil & filter etc.

I expect the annual service is the usual checking that stuff is working correctly and making minor adjustments of stuff that isn't.

Btw £150 is not far off what an hour's labour cost at my local Ford dealer some years back.
Ok so you have raised the issue of a garages hourly rate and £150 is pretty good for a franchised dealer. I have only had this vehicle just over a month but my previous EV, I had for nearly 2 years and the service cost £149 which included the cabin filter. Seems the MG first service is just a tyre kicker. I forgot about the AA cover which is good but I have this elsewhere with my bank account so not really any advantage to me anyway. As a way of comparison I had a BMW 520d oil service with BMW Coopers for £195 -this was an offer but the full charge was around £235. Seems I am in the minority in thinking that the services are relatively expensive, but consider this - when EV's first appear the servicing was well below £100 and has steadily crept up. Dealers have a captive market as it is taking some time for many independents to catch up.

Ok so you have raised the issue of a garages hourly rate and £150 is pretty good for a franchised dealer. I have only had this vehicle just over a month but my previous EV, I had for nearly 2 years and the service cost £149 which included the cabin filter. Seems the MG first service is just a tyre kicker. I forgot about the AA cover which is good but I have this elsewhere with my bank account so not really any advantage to me anyway. As a way of comparison I had a BMW 520d oil service with BMW Coopers for £195 -this was an offer but the full charge was around £235. Seems I am in the minority in thinking that the services are relatively expensive, but consider this - when EV's first appear the servicing was well below £100 and has steadily crept up. Dealers have a captive market as it is taking some time for many independents to catch up.
True - my mate is a tech savvy 40-ish year old mechanic who owns his own business & is about to invest heavily in EV technology despite being extremely busy with ICE servicing and repairs. I guess the training costs, new equipment and increased premises size might be an issue for some independents. My mate sees this as part of his investment plan for his retirement in 10 years time though.

Late hijack - I've put a refundable reservation on a facelift ZS with Luscombes in Leeds who I bought my Outlander off (now MG dealers) but Eric Stead are a lot closer at only (?) 20 miles away...would you recommend them for a good sales deal as well as good service?
They were great with my ZS and SWMBO's 5. I bought the ZS outright, then we traded SWMBO's 2006 Prius and my 2016 Prius together 6 months later for her ex-demo 5 (only 400 miles on it) and got a very good deal.
They're about 7 miles from me, so I'd choose them over other dealers for convenience, but Luscombes do come highly recommended by others on here and on Facebook.

They were great with my ZS and SWMBO's 5. I bought the ZS outright, then we traded SWMBO's 2006 Prius and my 2016 Prius together 6 months later for her ex-demo 5 (only 400 miles on it) and got a very good deal.
They're about 7 miles from me, so I'd choose them over other dealers for convenience, but Luscombes do come highly recommended by others on here and on Facebook.
Thanks for that, I'll take a trip up there and have a look.

Thanks for that, I'll take a trip up there and have a look.
Just seen some deals on Facebook from Luscombes, discounts on price (around £1.5-2k IIRC) if you're trading in or some freebies if you're not. Oh and free metallic or tri-colour paint.

Just seen some deals on Facebook from Luscombes, discounts on price (around £1.5-2k IIRC) if you're trading in or some freebies if you're not. Oh and free metallic or tri-colour paint.
Oh that sounds good. Sam Luscombe didn't mention that when he took my money yesterday.

EDIT: ....but can't find that on FB.

Last edited:
True - my mate is a tech savvy 40-ish year old mechanic who owns his own business & is about to invest heavily in EV technology despite being extremely busy with ICE servicing and repairs. I guess the training costs, new equipment and increased premises size might be an issue for some independents. My mate sees this as part of his investment plan for his retirement in 10 years time though.
Thanks for this sensible answer. I am still trying to establish what is actually done at the first service? I seem to think that any diagnostic equipment will be expensive but there again you plug it in and get a read out. Battery management seems to be automatic and any problems should be covered under the warranty. What puzzles me is that other servicing bits such as brakes, steering, suspension, etc. are the same as ICE cars. Changing brake fluid on an EV is the same as any ICE car but as soon as you mention EV to an independent garage, in the main, they run for the hills! I think main dealers are taking advantage of this apprehension and making hay while the sun shines!

Thanks for this sensible answer. I am still trying to establish what is actually done at the first service? I seem to think that any diagnostic equipment will be expensive but there again you plug it in and get a read out. Battery management seems to be automatic and any problems should be covered under the warranty. What puzzles me is that other servicing bits such as brakes, steering, suspension, etc. are the same as ICE cars. Changing brake fluid on an EV is the same as any ICE car but as soon as you mention EV to an independent garage, in the main, they run for the hills! I think main dealers are taking advantage of this apprehension and making hay while the sun shines!
This may help you, it was kindly provided by another forum member.

Attachments

• 95F4A16C-B1F8-485D-92BE-98FFD03552F7.jpeg
    95F4A16C-B1F8-485D-92BE-98FFD03552F7.jpeg
    527.9 KB · Views: 175
  • CC0F693C-97C5-462F-A319-A2A4B959CAAD.jpeg
    CC0F693C-97C5-462F-A319-A2A4B959CAAD.jpeg
    558.2 KB · Views: 181
taking advantage of this apprehension and making hay while the sun shines!
I suppose I would too if I could, so would any business.

To me, the service still doesn't feel expensive. i was told about £110 (lower mileage) incl AA.

My "little man" is scared of EVs, he said (with a smile) he'd have to be wearing rubber boots while working on them. He wouldn't touch my Amoera. A local garage did the rear brake pad and discs though, after checking they were really the same as an Astra.

Oh that sounds good. Sam Luscombe didn't mention that when he took my money yesterday.

EDIT: ....but can't find that on FB.
Are you a member of the MG Electric Vehicle Owners Club Group on Facebook ?
It's an exclusive offer to the group.
Click the link below:
Facebook Groups

This may help you, it was kindly provided by another forum member.
Thanks, this is just what I wanted. No replacement parts which is what I expected but also lots of things that relate to the HV system which is good. Combined with the AA cover this does seem reasonable. The AA cover is not needed for me but is certainly good for others. It was mentioned to me when I bought the car that the first service was around £90 - no quote just in conversation so to speak. I guess prices have increased!

Thanks, this is just what I wanted. No replacement parts which is what I expected but also lots of things that relate to the HV system which is good. Combined with the AA cover this does seem reasonable. The AA cover is not needed for me but is certainly good for others. It was mentioned to me when I bought the car that the first service was around £90 - no quote just in conversation so to speak. I guess prices have increased!
Oh .......... Just to say, there is TWO different price's for a service.
There is the normal user price scale and a lower price scale for low mileage users.
I think you have to be covering less than 8,000 miles a year to qualify for it though.
Just check with the dealer first.

Hi all, if you’re interested these are the Job sheets for my 15k service 😊

Attachments

• 2704FF0A-4504-42A7-8E0E-D912ACFCE13B.jpeg
    2704FF0A-4504-42A7-8E0E-D912ACFCE13B.jpeg
    578.8 KB · Views: 146
  • 4DD6AB42-A8FB-47C9-8996-F7FF17D104CF.jpeg
    4DD6AB42-A8FB-47C9-8996-F7FF17D104CF.jpeg
    553.1 KB · Views: 144
  • FF7C719F-BD7A-4ED0-A34A-51EDF6EB93CC.jpeg
    FF7C719F-BD7A-4ED0-A34A-51EDF6EB93CC.jpeg
    528.1 KB · Views: 145
  • FD280C90-138D-484B-895B-BE4B37C5B8AF.jpeg
    FD280C90-138D-484B-895B-BE4B37C5B8AF.jpeg
    433.2 KB · Views: 143
Hi all, if you’re interested these are the Job sheets for my 15k service 😊
That's very interesting :)
Couple of points that caught my eye:
Checking the charging circuits from an HV supply - didn't think a typical dealer would have this on-site.
Using anti-seize paste on the wheel hubs before replacing wheels - I had a discussion about this in another thread because it isn't actually done at the factory! Good to see they are getting it right in the service.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom