Folding Mirrors - am I being thick?

Manually fold them? Fairly sure they fold, just not electrically
I’m reluctant to force them on my SE SR.

Other cars with electric fold you should never force them

Can someone confirm it’s not breaking them to force fold them in and out?

I didn’t suggest you fold electric mirrors, nor would I. I suggested you could manually fold the non electric mirrors, as the owners manual clearly advises…

I did mine the other day as a test - it takes a bit of force first time but they do fold easily enough, but not totally parallel with the door windows as the inner corner of the mirrors catch the mirror housings. But they fold in enough. And when you turn them back out they click into place with a satisfying "thunk" :)

The MG4 width is 1836mm, 2060mm including mirrors.
So there you go, you won’t need to guess the clearance now.

I measured up. The new garage doors have 2200mm width, so although it's tight it should be possible. That's almost three inches either side. And there's always the option of folding the driver's side mirror by hand.

Even more glad now I got these new garage doors. I think I gained three inches by removing the wooden frame round the doors, and maybe even a bit more because there were aluminium strips guiding the old door mechanism that aren't there now. Might have been well-nigh impossible to get the MG4 inside with the old doors.

I think the point of this conversation is that the SE doesn't have electrically folding mirrors. I tried manually folding the driver's side mirror on mine and it folded quite happily.

It was also possible to fold the mirrors on my Golf manually, and they were electrically folding.

Last edited:
There is not that much difference with them folded in as when they are out

Some cars the mirrors stick out a long way

I just leave mine out under normal circumstances

Only in a tight spot will I fold them in

Oh, please do! I didn't realise that was possible.

I'm actually fine with the mirrors as they are, because there's enough clearance to get the car in the garage with them unfolded, and the combination of great rear vision from these mirrors and the rear parking alert system means I'm actually finding it easier than I was with the Golf.

It's a funny thing. I had a courtesy car for a couple of weeks while the insurance were still thinking they would repair the Golf, and that was absolutely murder to get into the garage. And it had a rear-view camera!

I can reverse better in a straight line or between obstructions using the door mirrors than using the reversing camera. I use the camera mainly for the final couple of feet. One thing I rarely do is to look over my shoulder out of the back window. This comes of driving a bus for 25 years.

My father on the otherhand didn't use the door mirrors but reversed looking over his shoulder. He grew up on a farm and could reverse a tractor with two trailers through a gateway into the main farmyard.

I can reverse better in a straight line or between obstructions using the door mirrors than using the reversing camera. I use the camera mainly for the final couple of feet. One thing I rarely do is to look over my shoulder out of the back window. This comes of driving a bus for 25 years.

My father on the otherhand didn't use the door mirrors but reversed looking over his shoulder. He grew up on a farm and could reverse a tractor with two trailers through a gateway into the main farmyard.
I am like your father, I can reverse at the speed limit with no problem at all. However, if I drove a bus it would probably not end well.

Is there any member who change mirror switch with one that has capability to fold and add only fold motor to exterior mirro and works?

This is slightly worrying. In fact, it is the star that is worrying.

I have the SE SR model of the MG4. I have not yet put it inside my garage as the garage is still occupied by my previous car. Hopefully, the salvage company will come and get it soon. However, backing up to the garage door to use the charger, I can see that the MG4 is slightly wider than the Golf that's currently inside. I could get the Golf in without folding its mirrors if I got the line spot on. I don't think that's going to be possible with the MG4.

If the mirrors can only be folded in the Trophy model, how am I supposed to get the MG4 SE into my garage? Surely this can't be right?
Electric folding mirrors are Trophy only.

Yup. Turns out it goes in with no trouble, and the rear parking sensors are great. I still think it's cheapskate to leave the facility out of the SE though. When they were revamping it I'd rather have had that than a rear wiper.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 503 79.5%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back