• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Free Charging for a week. Who is up to the challenge?

Hi Folks,
I've just been wondering if MG will consider providing ZS EV owners free charging and how it is that Tesla is able to offer free charging to all Tesla owners while other companies don't?
This Tesla free destination charging has played on my mind a lot this week.
An aquiantance of mine with a Tesla could not believe that I pay for charging my ZS EV. He has never paid for charging for the 12months he has had a Tesla. He just goes to a nearby destination charger once a week for free charging and even when he has to use super rapid chargers on the motorways he does not have to pay till he has done more than 1000 motorway miles in a year.
Charging his car on a basic fast destination charger is also very fast as apparently they all charge at at least 22 kWh.
Well the ZS EV is cheap and one gets a good deal for the price but seems this Tesla destination charging arrangement is something over and above the price of the Tesla and may be all EV manufacturers should consider some free charging offers.
May be that just wishful thinking on my part.
Well Folks what do you think?... For me, this "free charging" bit has really bothered me this week.
Anyway next week l am doing free charging challenge again so got my planner out for Tesco shopping etc. to benefit from the Pod point open chargers. Anyone who would like to join in and try managing a whole week using free public charging or completely solar etc is welcome. Please post your free charging experience, comments and advice in this thread.
@Chrispydoc now that it is high summer it will be interesting if you could update us if you are now able to achieve a whole month's charging solely on solar.
Nissan offer free charging at all their garages, not been able to try as taxi's and driving school cars always seem to be there

Nissan offer free charging at all their garages, not been able to try as taxi's and driving school cars always seem to be there
Tesla no longer offer free charging. This was an offer only available when the Tesla first launched. The 1000 free miles was also a code offer given and an owner with this can pass it to someone buying a new car. Both the owner and the new buyer get the 1000 miles free. This information is correct as a relation bought a Tesla in July 2020 and another friend who got his Model 3 in June has confirmed the information supplied.

Hi there all 61.9 free KWh collected last week, will try to beat that this week. Thank you a Pod-Point.

Attachments

• D2A8E36E-5523-4D8E-9911-6397BDAD00AA.png
    D2A8E36E-5523-4D8E-9911-6397BDAD00AA.png
    475.9 KB · Views: 171
Thank you Chargemaster for the free charge today....headed to Euro Tunnel and decided to stop of for some charge, but the connection wouldn’t work via the app. Called the customer support who connected me at no charge no cost to myself, wish I could have stayed longer, but had a meeting to attend too, still ever little bit helps.

Attachments

• ED673DCD-FCFF-493E-8C92-8763C1C3B4D5.jpeg
    ED673DCD-FCFF-493E-8C92-8763C1C3B4D5.jpeg
    567.7 KB · Views: 161
Lol this isn’t a challenge, bless your hearts.

5th day update, 348 miles traveled, 123kWh of free renewable energy. £35 saved in 5 days compared to diesel.

62C75936-8A67-471A-A2B4-EB8F2B139C75.png

For what it worth for. I done 800 miles without paying one penny for a charge yet. Just keep using the free parking points at TESCO and shopping centres. When ask how many miles do I get from a gallon? I just say 800 miles so far!

Hi Folks,
This week my free charging endeavours got a big boost. The GMEV / Be.EV charging point nearest to my house is now back "live" and I am told it would continue to be free for a further month or two. So this morning it was just a munite's drive to charge and a short stroll home and back to pick the car up after the charge. The EV buddies in our area are well "made up".

Hi Folks,
Things are a bit "belly up" in terms of charging this week so I have been thinking of giving up on free charging and the ZS EV. I am not sure but I may follow @Frank and look for something else if my finances allow.
It is not an issue of lack of charging opportunities. In fact there are more free charging opportunities if one knows where to look and I am being directed to more every day as I drive and ask round here in the North West.
My issue this week is basically one of ZS EV low range and efficiency plus cold-gate when charging in the wet, rainy cold weather we have been experiencing here in the North West.
What has happened is that my daily drive went up to pre-Covid levels with long/multiple trips upto 200 miles per day round trips with no prolonged rest times inbetween or very short rest times occurring at places with no nearby charging points.
Time pressures are not allowing stops for rapid charges free or paid.
Any tips will be most welcome.
I may have to go ICE next week if things remain this way.
Bonkers Tesla Guy doing same route as me docked to top up although his battery was at 60% when mine was 10%.... Long wait when time is a problem.
Beginning to doubt if the ZS EV can truly cut it as a work horse through the winter.
We got our ZS EV since January and at the time there were only several hundreds sold so I guess most of the thousands who have ZS EV have never had a full winter in their cars so it will be interesting to hear from someone who has done a full winter in their ZS EV and uses it as a full blown work horse.
Any advice comments most welcome. For now fighting hard to keep the ZS EV going and the ICE off the road.

Last edited:
One month challenge complete; 2,500 miles travelled from 641kWh of free renewable electricity. Spent £2 at home for one slow charge.

Well done, I’m up for the challenge when I get my car back...really missing it and I’ve had a Mercedes GLC 180 for three weeks and I don’t like it..it does drive nice, but it’s basic and doesn’t drive as nice as my MG ZS EV, just want it back...p.s I also don’t like paying for Petrol either,,,,grrrrrrr

I hope it won’t be too much longer for you. I know what you mean about paying for petrol, I can’t tell you how happy I am to have saved £250 in a month!

Hi Folks,
Well done to all the free chargers. @lee graham data has clearly shown benefits of free charging. I have not been keeping account closely but of the over 5800miles I have done only 1000 was from electricity I personally paid for.
Please use free charging at every opportunity possible.
IMG_20201008_104444.jpg

Feeling a bit more upbeat today. Free charging on a long break at Tesco. Weather OK.

Last edited:
I am retired and now over 900 miles with free charge so far. I am asked how many miles do you get with a gallon of fuel. The answer I give. I am still working on the first litre let alone a gallon!
One thing does worry me a bit, if I have to fill up with fuel again will I remember what to do at the filling station?

I am retired and now over 900 miles with free charge so far. I am asked how many miles do you get with a gallon of fuel. The answer I give. I am still working on the first litre let alone a gallon!
One thing does worry me a bit, if I have to fill up with fuel again will I remember what to do at the filling station?
@Mike SOS
Well done with free charging.
Absolutely brilliant.
Please enjoy the retirement. I am in the same retirement boat. Unfortunately I am not enjoying retirement as I had hoped.
As for filling stations I am sure all will come back in a flash. Hopefully you will have no need for a filling station going forward.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom