Frunk from Austria arrives at last.

Well, I can see the view of insurance companies because that space could be used for some heavy tools like hammers, big bolt cutters etc by some idiots and in a head on collision thay could create serious injuries that wouldn't have happened if they weren't located there.
Actually i've now been told but the insurance company that my wife's new Tesla is going though that 'any' modification to an EV has to be declared...Im sure though that there must me some excpetions to this....maybe an air freshener ;-) Seriously though , I hope all owners drilling holes and fixing Frunks to thier cars are telling thier insurance companies.

Would you have any concerns with the heat under the bonnet causing wear and tear on the type 2 cable? Thinking of hot summer days.

Very grateful for this thread, first because we've been wondering about getting a frunk and second because it hadn't occurred to me to check with the insurers. I contacted our broker, who responded a while later to say that, as long as it is " a professional item" (or words to that effect) it was fine. I sent them URLs and links so that it was clear what we were talking about.
I did say in my explanation that this accessory did not require any changes to the car (ie, no holes drilled etc) and was reversible, that it was essentially allowing small items to be stowed at the front, like other EVs.

A report back.

Hooray! The frunk has arrived. Unfortunately, here on Airstrip One, the sunlit uplands meant I had to pay £55 in customs charges and "handling fees". I suppose that's not too bad, as I did not have to pay Austrian VAT. The frunk arrived 20 days after ordering, but of course that period included the Easter holidays and the time the frunk spent in customs before being released, and Parcel Force holding onto it for a couple of extra days.

I had already watched the installation video, so knew what to expect. I started by removing the 6 plastic retainer clips by unscrewing the plastic screws on the original cover. One just spun in its seat, but I found that if I levered up the edge to wedge it, I was able to unscrew the screw.

Picture 3 is the set of round headed bolts that replace 4 of the 6 existing screw points. It's worth while offering up the frunk to ensure you know which 4 of the 6 are needed. I knew from the video that 3 are easy to get in place and one is difficult to get your fingers under. The one pic is of that point, near the screenwash bottle. And as I'd forgotten my left hand has never been right since smashing my thumb some years back, I ran out of personal articulation at the vital moment, and the nut dropped. My first thought was "no bother", but of course, it dropped onto the plastic undertray and rolled back rather than onto the ground, where any self respecting ex Land Rover owner expects to find dropped items. I had a quick feel around, but it could be anywhere, and anyway, there were so may stones and gunk in the undertray, I knew I had little chance of finding it. Still, I had a spare locknut somewhere so was soon back in business.

Once the four bolts are in place, it's just a question of positioning the frunk and pushing the robber retainers onto the ball joints. The final pic is with our 5m heavy duty 3-phase cable in place.

There was an interesting sticker on the one side of the frunk. I assume this is for emergency service to whom that image may mean something - see pic.

The little instruction manual that comes with it ends with the remark "remove before visiting the mechanics". I wonder if that's "an abundance of caution" or really necessary.

Oh, and the thank-you card written up by the people who packed the frunk had a little packet of Haribo Goldbären attached. I mean, that makes £250 worth it, right? They were also obviously amused by my almost-German name, which I took as a nice personal touch.

Hope that report helps. Happy to answer questions.

StevanPics-133158-12042024.jpg

StevanPics-131137-12042024.jpg
StevanPics-131145-12042024.jpg
StevanPics-131203-12042024.jpg
StevanPics-131216-12042024.jpg
StevanPics-131232-12042024.jpg
StevanPics-131251-12042024.jpg

That looks a quality bit of kit
Yes. It's sturdier than the cover it replaces. I was unsure of the price. On the one hand, on the face of it, it seems a lot for some plastic, but on the other, it's well made, the fitting is cleverly thought out, and the detail such as the net and a soft cubby that came with it, useful. It doesn't change the car in any way either. I think when I take Goth Leo in for his service, I'll just leave a note to say the frunk can lift out if they need access.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom