Full charge showing 200mls range

Somebody mentioned 'diversions"...in our many trips driving 155 miles back and forth to Norfolk, it's never been a problem.

However, on Wednesday, about mid day, driving back to Derby, we had two long diversions due to two serious accidents.....neither diversion properly signed...we ended up driving 6 miles down the AI before we could turn around and get back on track......then blow me if the same didn't happen an hour later on the A52 east of Grantham...my predicted range margin on 40 miles in the tank, had now dropped to 12....so we 'chickened out' and stopped for a charge at the newish Shell garage at Saxondale. We were very impressed. We put 50 miles range in about 15 mins...at a cost of 41p kW. ..contactless payment, 150kW Recharge...no special cards..brilliant.

We celebrated by having ice cold air and 'vigorous acceleration' for the last part of the trip.:)

I have always looked at others with their fine miles/kWh figures with admiration. I never go anywhere that gets close to the range of the vehicle so never bother with driving economically. To paraphrase @Chrispydoc we enjoy cold/warm air and vigorous acceleration whenever we want.
However yesterday something remarkable happened.
Fully charged GOM reading 219 in Eco
Did 20 miles going from shop to shop around town, a bit of dual carriageway included at 60mph and final reading GOM in Eco was 198. Temp was 17 degrees and plenty of hills in Leeds.

One thing I have noticed whilst experimenting with regen levels was that when driving, by changing the regen level (not the mode) whilst using power, i.e. not while slowing down, it felt like the resistance seemed to drop. I changed from 3 to 1 with foot steady on the throttle and the car felt more responsive, just like if you change the mode. Difficult to explain, but try it :) .

Attachments

• starting.jpg
    starting.jpg
    415.9 KB · Views: 164
  • finishing.jpg
    finishing.jpg
    348.5 KB · Views: 155
I have always looked at others with their fine miles/kWh figures with admiration. I never go anywhere that gets close to the range of the vehicle so never bother with driving economically. To paraphrase @Chrispydoc we enjoy cold/warm air and vigorous acceleration whenever we want.
However yesterday something remarkable happened.
Fully charged GOM reading 219 in Eco
Did 20 miles going from shop to shop around town, a bit of dual carriageway included at 60mph and final reading GOM in Eco was 198. Temp was 17 degrees and plenty of hills in Leeds.

One thing I have noticed whilst experimenting with regen levels was that when driving, by changing the regen level (not the mode) whilst using power, i.e. not while slowing down, it felt like the resistance seemed to drop. I changed from 3 to 1 with foot steady on the throttle and the car felt more responsive, just like if you change the mode. Difficult to explain, but try it :) .
It’s because of your accumulated mileage, which is at 4.7 miles per KWh if this is reset your estimated mileage will drop again.

It’s because of your accumulated mileage, which is at 4.7 miles per KWh if this is reset your estimated mileage will drop again.
Agreed, but having driven 20 miles the range only dropped 20 miles leaving 198.

I am not expecting to get anywhere near 200 miles out of it but thought it interesting that for those 20 miles the GOM only lost 20 miles whereas normally it would lose more when starting with the silly 219 range.

Agreed, but having driven 20 miles the range only dropped 20 miles leaving 198.

I am not expecting to get anywhere near 200 miles out of it but thought it interesting that for those 20 miles the GOM only lost 20 miles whereas normally it would lose more when starting with the silly 219 range.
Wow 4.7MpKwh, I guess this is down to your average speed of 19mph on your 20mile journey.
It's all fast roads everywhere around here in Milton Keynes, so even if popping to shops etc it's 60mph, so we never get anywhere near that figure unfortunately

I'd say you did well and the car worked as predicted given the low average speed and no hvac.
In my experience the hvac uses about 20 miles of range for every hour of running time and it is this that can really upset the usable range.
As long as this effect is factored in to the planning all will be ok!

I think driving style and speed are the other major factors, if you need maximum range.

With me this is only relevant on a few occasions a year.....the rest of the time, drive unrestricted and enjoy the cars features. ;)...my solar panels take care of all our energy needs...so that's all fine.

Wow 4.7MpKwh, I guess this is down to your average speed of 19mph on your 20mile journey.
It's all fast roads everywhere around here in Milton Keynes, so even if popping to shops etc it's 60mph, so we never get anywhere near that figure unfortunately
19mph is pretty slow but it did not feel like it, we were keeping up with the traffic. It is a more traditional city than the open plains of MK. We were visiting retail parks looking for something in particular that took a while to find so plenty of driving round car parks, traffic lights, roundabouts etc, although there was a 2 mile stretch at 60 on the ring road.
Did another 10 miles yesterday and range only dropped another 10miles, so 30 driven and GOM still showing 188 I have no idea what's happening. :)

I think driving style and speed are the other major factors, if you need maximum range.

With me this is only relevant on a few occasions a year.....the rest of the time, drive unrestricted and enjoy the cars features. ;)...my solar panels take care of all our energy needs...so that's all fine.
I can tell why you are keen to upgrade to the face lift ZS EV with the larger battery then 🤣.
It just offers that comfort buffer when you are doing the longer distance trips.
I think plus 200 mile “real world” mileage range is a nice sweet spot for a EV myself.
250 - 300 is more than enough for our needs.
It’s pretty hard for me to fight the case for wanting to upgrade to the bigger pack with the wife.
When you consider we have covered 12,500 miles in 18 months of ownership and adhered too two lock downs in Wales due to C19.
We have covered more miles in our EV than our previous PHEV that we owned for over four years.
EV driving is so addictive and easy going.
We find ourselves taking more pleasure trips than we ever did before.
This is due to the enjoyment factor and the much cheaper running costs of course !.
The newer HV pack size is rumoured to be around 70 kw’s ?.
Increased weight COULD reduce the performance unless the drive train has been tweaked.
What are we guessing the REAL world figure on range could be folks ????.
I will start the ball rolling and say :-
I am thinking 🤔 - roughly about 250 to 300 miles in ideal conditions.
If I could afford the upgrade, I would be shooting to achieve that 300 miles and be disappointed if I could not hit the target 🎯.
250 miles should be no problem, unless in the winter time of course.
What say you folks ?????.
At what point of increased range would temp you to consider the cost of the upgrade to the larger pack ?.
Yes - There will also be other improvements on the newer model, but the increased range would be my main focus.

I can tell why you are keen to upgrade to the face lift ZS EV with the larger battery then 🤣.
It just offers that comfort buffer when you are doing the longer distance trips.
I think plus 200 mile “real world” mileage range is a nice sweet spot for a EV myself.
250 - 300 is more than enough for our needs.
It’s pretty hard for me to fight the case for wanting to upgrade to the bigger pack with the wife.
When you consider we have covered 12,500 miles in 18 months of ownership and adhered too two lock downs in Wales due to C19.
We have covered more miles in our EV than our previous PHEV that we owned for over four years.
EV driving is so addictive and easy going.
We find ourselves taking more pleasure trips than we ever did before.
This is due to the enjoyment factor and the much cheaper running costs of course !.
The newer HV pack size is rumoured to be around 70 kw’s ?.
Increased weight COULD reduce the performance unless the drive train has been tweaked.
What are we guessing the REAL world figure on range could be folks ????.
I will start the ball rolling and say :-
I am thinking 🤔 - roughly about 250 to 300 miles in ideal conditions.
If I could afford the upgrade, I would be shooting to achieve that 300 miles and be disappointed if I could not hit the target 🎯.
250 miles should be no problem, unless in the winter time of course.
What say you folks ?????.
At what point of increased range would temp you to consider the cost of the upgrade to the larger pack ?.
Yes - There will also be other improvements on the newer model, but the increased range would be my main focus.
I think a jump to real world useable 250 in winter would be needed at a minimum to justify the extra price, which I think will be a lot. I don't think 200 would do it for me.
I am basing this on total guesswork that the cost to change is going to be around 12-15k.

The new ZS would need to be able to charge at high speed as well.

ISTR reading the larger battery will be the same physical size, do you think more advanced battery technology may make it not so much different in weight perhaps ?
Being the same physical size then leads to the question, could it be an upgrade for the present ZS ?

ISTR reading the larger battery will be the same physical size, do you think more advanced battery technology may make it not so much different in weight perhaps ?
Being the same physical size then leads to the question, could it be an upgrade for the present ZS ?
I would so love to upgrade to a bigger battery, but anything like £10k is going to be a non starter for us, we've bought the car on the basis that it'll last us 5-10years.
My only realistic option is if the existing car could be modified to add battery capacity, which I'm very doubtful will be an option.

I could well be wrong here my memory isn't great, but I thought it was said the new battery was the same capacity and the same weight, I'm not sure about it being the same physical size - but in a way if it's the same weight then it probably would be a similar size I'd have thought.

For me, I think the new range needs to increase from 163 to around 250, I don't think 200 is enough. Talking WLTP range here, so that the real world cold weather range is 150+.

I would so love to upgrade to a bigger battery, but anything like £10k is going to be a non starter for us, we've bought the car on the basis that it'll last us 5-10years.
My only realistic option is if the existing car could be modified to add battery capacity, which I'm very doubtful will be an option.

I could well be wrong here my memory isn't great, but I thought it was said the new battery was the same capacity and the same weight, I'm not sure about it being the same physical size - but in a way if it's the same weight then it probably would be a similar size I'd have thought.

For me, I think the new range needs to increase from 163 to around 250, I don't think 200 is enough. Talking WLTP range here, so that the real world cold weather range is 150+.
For me, up to 200 mile range is great for fairly quick charging times and for general, day to day, running around and 250+ is required for longer trips.

On the Monday night Pod Cast Miles Roberts did suggest that the pack size COULD be close to 70 kw’s.
Pure guess, but I think the actual size of the HV battery will increase in size.
The car certainly looks like it can accommodate a bigger pack size.

I think the best I've got displayed is 177 miles, obviously it's a guess based on your recent driving history. On a similar note I did about a 90 mile trip (2 x 45 miles) yesterday and thought I'd try driving to maximise my Kwh (B roads, back lanes, a few faster stretches). Best I got is 4.6 - I dunno how anyone exceeds this - I was accelerating so slowly I had a fair amount of traffic behind me, driving any more reservedly would've been a nightmare!
Yep - when fully charged on a 7kw the range on Eco with A/C switched off is always shown as 177miles. We all know it wont do that of course....

I know when I move off the drive this will become fiction…..

Attachments

• 01CCCE68-F7AD-44AF-9E9C-51834435A94B.jpeg
    01CCCE68-F7AD-44AF-9E9C-51834435A94B.jpeg
    337.1 KB · Views: 140
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom