Full charge showing 200mls range

70 miles since last full charge and still 135 remaining on the GOM with battery at SOC 59.8% according to the OBDII thing, which is about 65% in car (full SOC on OBD is 93.1%), so extrapolated I reckon that would make about 180/190 miles if maintained to empty.
This is over several trips and I hadn't reset the accumulated trip prior to this.

135.jpg

70 miles since last full charge and still 135 remaining on the GOM with battery at SOC 59.8% according to the OBDII thing, which is about 65% in car (full SOC on OBD is 93.1%), so extrapolated I reckon that would make about 180/190 miles if maintained to empty.
This is over several trips and I hadn't reset the accumulated trip prior to this.

View attachment 3783
Good weather conditions, maybe no HVAC used, car set to Eco mode, accumulated trip not reset after about 7 trips and I would say this feels about right to me !.

Following the first home charge yesterday, car reported 459 V and 202 miles predicted range. Left it overnight on granny charger, charged from 60 to 100.
After switching the car on in the morning, observed that with the blower 'on' HV current is 0A. With air conditioning turned 'on' HV current is 2A. So I am guessing that in 'ready mode' blower runs on 12V but air conditioning cooling draws current from HV battery. Will try heater and check the results.

On the run, car range dropped by 20 miles if I turn the blower on.( Switching on cooling did not have any further effect on the
range).
I will carry out further experiments in coming days to understand GOM's algorithm.
Has anyone tried to verify current trip miles/kWh to calculate the battery%?
For eg.
20 miles on average of 4 miles/kWh means 5 kwh consumed, 12% drop in battery assuming 42.5kWh usable.
Does it correlate to the lips on the HV battery meter?

Good weather conditions, maybe no HVAC used, car set to Eco mode, accumulated trip not reset after about 7 trips and I would say this feels about right to me !

So I am guessing that in 'ready mode' blower runs on 12V but air conditioning cooling draws current from HV battery. Will try heater and check the results.
I have come to the same conclusion, but am willing to learn.
I think the blower motor / fan is running from the standard 12 volt lead acid battery.
Wiring through a resistor in order to get the different speed levels from blower motor.
The cabin heater is very hungry consumer of power and therefore range, the A/C cooling is another high consumer.
The cabin heater in a Tesla model 3 has orange high voltage wires running into the unit.
I would suspect that the MG powers the HVAC in a very similar way.
A blend of a 12 volts supply for the blower motor and a high voltage for providing heat to the element for the cabin heater.
High power required to power the A/C unit also.
I hazard a guess that the power is taking via the inverter, but purely guess work on my part here folks.

It is logical that the blower motor will be a 12v standard car heater motor and will thus run from the 12v battery, probably the same unit as the ICE version. The heater is actually just a resistor so just by changing the value they can get it to run off the HV supply with no problems. The aircon is more complicated because it probably uses a pump driven by an electric motor, thus the same issue as the fan. However, it may use an ac motor which could be engineered to run off the HV supply, similar to the main drive motor.

The heater is actually just a resistor so just by changing the value they can get it to run off the HV supply with no problems. The aircon is more complicated because it probably uses a pump driven by an electric motor, thus the same issue as the fan. However, it may use an ac motor which could be engineered to run off the HV supply, similar to the main drive motor.
Both the heater and air conditioner compressor need several kilowatts of power to be effective. In an ICE vehicle, there are tens of kilowatts of waste heat, so that's where the heater power comes from. The fan belt is able to deliver a few kW of power, and that's no sweat for the ICE.

Even one kilowatt is really straining for the 12V system at 83 amps. Hence heater and air conditioner are always powered from the high voltage battery in an EV. The air conditioner compressor motor typically has its own small motor controller.

Both the heater and air conditioner compressor need several kilowatts of power to be effective. In an ICE vehicle, there are tens of kilowatts of waste heat, so that's where the heater power comes from. The fan belt is able to deliver a few kW of power, and that's no sweat for the ICE.

Even one kilowatt is really straining for the 12V system at 83 amps. Hence heater and air conditioner are always powered from the high voltage battery in an EV. The air conditioner compressor motor typically has its own small motor controller.
Brilliantly put !.
I have posted before that my theory was that there is no way l, that a small 12 volt battery would be capable of supplying demand of the cabin heater element.
Fan motor, yes of course.
It would be like trying to power an electric fire with a torch 🔦 battery !.
Some owners have had problems with there fan motor randomly stopping after a short while.
This has been tracked down to the in line resistor failing.
A common problem in ICE cars as well.
The in-line resistor ( as per its title ) allows the different the blower motor speeds required by the driver.
Failure is either the fan closing down without command, or the lower settings fail and you only end up with Max speed and nothing else !.
In the case of the MG - it appears to demonstrate the first method of failure.
Works for a short while, than just stops randomly !.

After a recent BMS update my GOM is now more optimistic: shows 169 mls at 80% charge, I wonder if it has used my accumulated miles per KW to calculate the range. It went to 169 before the update on full charge 455V

After a recent BMS update my GOM is now more optimistic: shows 169 mls at 80% charge, I wonder if it has used my accumulated miles per KW to calculate the range. It went to 169 before the update on full charge 455V
It’s nothing to do with the BMS update. The GOM is based mainly on your recently logged driving in the accumulated trip.
If you want to check if you’ve lost battery capacity and therefore range, or compare to others, you need to reset your trips and see what it says at full charge in N3 etc

I’ve said this before - even with my combined long range trip showing 4.8mpk I still only show 160miles 455v charged and fully balanced. Others seem to show predicted a much higher figure 🧐

Hi Guys, bit of a newbie still, a few queries
1 on Range, after battery conditioned (5 weeks) much better range. Not really driven car in cooler weather and recently range seems to reduce quickly in first 3 - 4 miles and then stabilises. Is this normal? Also older owners, how badly does winter weather affect range - rough estimate as a guide
2 MG OP car mats wearing badly, seem very thin.
3 see GOM referred to a lot but no explanation what it is
4 today Podpoint charger says "connected but not charging" after time checking fuses, sockets etc tried Granny charger and worked fine. Anuone similar experience

thanks for any help

Hi Guys, bit of a newbie still, a few queries
1 on Range, after battery conditioned (5 weeks) much better range. Not really driven car in cooler weather and recently range seems to reduce quickly in first 3 - 4 miles and then stabilises. Is this normal? Also older owners, how badly does winter weather affect range - rough estimate as a guide
2 MG OP car mats wearing badly, seem very thin.
3 see GOM referred to a lot but no explanation what it is
4 today Podpoint charger says "connected but not charging" after time checking fuses, sockets etc tried Granny charger and worked fine. Anuone similar experience

thanks for any help
Ref your question 3.
The GOM is the gauge used to report the car’s predicted range, that you still have remaining.
So, GOM has been shortened from “Guess-O-Meter”.

Last edited:
Q2 - yes my oem car mats are wearing very poorly too.

Set off to Farnborough yesterday with 183 showing after a full charge
From rossendale north of Manchester and had my first charge at Banbury when I finally found a charger (Tesco carpark).
All the chargers on the motorway seem to still be the ecotricity waste of space chargers and even if they did work I found a diesel golf and a jaguar FPace parked in front of the ones at Warwickshire services 😡
Told last night that the turn off for Banbury next r/about turn left for the Costa and there are 8 instavolt chargers behind it 👍.
Got to Banbury showing 20 miles left on the GOM (guess-O-meter)
So range isn't bad at all.
In answer to another question I'm guessing that during the colder days I'd be looking at maybe a 10-20 mile drop in range.
(Same happens with ice cars but with the needle most drivers don't realise)

Set off to Farnborough yesterday with 183 showing after a full charge
From rossendale north of Manchester and had my first charge at Banbury when I finally found a charger (Tesco carpark).
All the chargers on the motorway seem to still be the ecotricity waste of space chargers and even if they did work I found a diesel golf and a jaguar FPace parked in front of the ones at Warwickshire services 😡
Told last night that the turn off for Banbury next r/about turn left for the Costa and there are 8 instavolt chargers behind it 👍.
Got to Banbury showing 20 miles left on the GOM (guess-O-meter)
So range isn't bad at all.
In answer to another question I'm guessing that during the colder days I'd be looking at maybe a 10-20 mile drop in range.
Lucky the chargers were working with 20 left on the GOM!
From our repeated experience doing same journeys (work commute) the difference between sub-0c (& using heater) vs optimum summer conditions is more like 90miles vs 180miles range.

I'd factor in a 30-40 mile drop in winter on the motorway with heating on.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom