Get latest updates now!

cburlewebb

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
We have had some issues with our MG4 Trophy since we received it last March, the dealership replaced some computer components back in October and that helped a lot, but we still had some issues. (One of the irritating ones is the speed detection - which is still an on/off thing.)
The week before Christmas, they had it in to work on and while there it received all the latest updates. These seem to have fixed three issues:
1) Crazy Lane Keep Assistance
2) Battery Not Charging
3) Regenerative Braking not working when battery full
So if you can’t stand the 3 yr old temper tantrum every time the car thinks you are getting too close to the curb or line, go get the update! Huge improvement!
Also, the battery is charging to 100% again!
And when we picked up the car the battery was 97% and Regenerative Braking worked!
Now if they can just sort out some of the other irritating nigglies!

Last edited by a moderator:
regen braking shouldn't work if the battery is full AFAIK as you can't put charge into a full battery . Good to know your other issues have been sorted.
I actually quite like my LKA now it's been updated.
It used to not work until the car was below 80%, now we see it at about 97%. It seemed dumb to us that it waited that long.

It used to not work until the car was below 80%, now we see it at about 97%. It seemed dumb to us that it waited that long.
OPD won't function until below a certain % of battery had been used. It seems to vary according to people commenting on here from 80%-90% whereas you will get some regen at all times. I drove off today with 100% and there was definitely some regen but nowhere near like OPD.

Bear in mind that there's a difference between regen and OPD ... whilst OPD uses regen to bring the car towards a stop, it is a more "powerful" system which thus requires far more regen ability (until the brakes are brought into play).

A clever OPD system wouldn't care about the battery SoC and would vary the physical brakes usage depending on regen availability. ;)

OPD won't function until below a certain % of battery had been used. It seems to vary according to people commenting on here from 80%-90% whereas you will get some regen at all times. I drove off today with 100% and there was definitely some regen but nowhere near like OPD.
Do you not get a message on the driver's display saying "regen not available when at 100%"? How do you get regen at %100? (regen Not OPD)

The message I see is more like Regenerative Braking Effect Is Reduced - i.e. not cancelled completely but the effect is much reduced (until the SoC falls).

No idea, it was just part of the updates they did while they had it. Wish it would update remotely like a Tesla. Having to do it at the dealership every time is dumb (plus you never know when an update is available).
It's dumb because they advertise the car as being able to recieve updates over the internet.

My SE had an upgrade before Christmas. It detuned LKA but the action it used is still strong and too powerful.

How do I do that?

From another post

1704557753857.png

This one would be R29 (Last digits of the System Version)

My car is currently R33.

This is what mine says.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240106-162755.png
    Screenshot_20240106-162755.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 66
The image hasnt been added. (If you indeed tried to add one)

Ah so yeah you are now on R33 which is the same as mine, ive read there is a R46 but that fixes some things and takes others away.

Seemingly MG Dealers wont upgrade upon request, only if you have an issue that is meant to be fixed on later firmware and they have to get approval from MG too, my dealer wont do any work unless approved (then paid for) by MG.

I had a ID3 before this and VW were happy to update firmware upon request.

just remember the R number in that screen is only the infotainment software - so the display, camera, bluetooth etc. Anything to do with LKA, charging, regen etc is different software you cannot easily find the versions of

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 498 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back