• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Getting slightly concerned…….

Susanna

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I have certainly read numerous tips and interesting information about the new ZS EV, so a big thank you to everyone who contributes to this excellent forum.
However, I am getting increasingly concerned that my lack of knowledge and understanding about the technicalities of HV batteries is going to result in me cancelling my order, as everything now seems so complex. Was I completely naive to assume I was just buying a car to get me from A to B in an environmentally friendly way, and that if I had any issues, I would just call out the breakdown service?
I did lots of research on various EV’s before deciding on the MG, but nowhere did I read that you required any special skills in determining battery health, charging rates etc.
I have no knowledge about what goes on under the bonnet of any ICE car either to be honest, but it’s never been an issue.

If you are connected to a 'fast' unit then it uses a type 2 connecter which you normally purchase and carry in the car. This is a similar to a home EVSE 7kWh and no issues charging to 100%
If you use 'rapid' unit then they have a tethered cable they generally cost more but can charge in under an hour you would know roughly hour long you would need to be there to charge to 80-85% anything above that figure and the charge speed slows down.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have certainly read numerous tips and interesting information about the new ZS EV, so a big thank you to everyone who contributes to this excellent forum.
However, I am getting increasingly concerned that my lack of knowledge and understanding about the technicalities of HV batteries is going to result in me cancelling my order, as everything now seems so complex. Was I completely naive to assume I was just buying a car to get me from A to B in an environmentally friendly way, and that if I had any issues, I would just call out the breakdown service?
I did lots of research on various EV’s before deciding on the MG, but nowhere did I read that you required any special skills in determining battery health, charging rates etc.
I have no knowledge about what goes on under the bonnet of any ICE car either to be honest, but it’s never been an issue.
No you don't need all that technical knowledge to drive and enjoy the car and it's many benefits. You'll get used to the variation in efficiency due to factors like temperature, driving speed etc, which is no different to an ICE car. I enjoy the effortlessness of the driving experience that comes through the quiet and smooth acceleration and deceleration, and knowing that I just charge at home once a week to keep it going.

Many drivers like to know all the engineering details but it's certainly not necessary for getting from A to B seamlessly. Please don't cancel and deny yourself that enjoyment.

@ Jomarkh

Thank you for your reply, but it’s the more complex stuff I have been reading about checking battery state of health, and making sure battery is warm before charging etc etc. My plan was to charge at home, either with just the ‘granny’ charger on a dedicated EV socket, then possibly have a 7kw charger installed, or use the free pod points at my local Tesco. I don’t do a lot of mileage, so I doubt I would ever need rapid charging.
The whole EV car ownership suddenly seems much more complicated than I assumed.

@ Jomarkh

Thank you for your reply, but it’s the more complex stuff I have been reading about checking battery state of health, and making sure battery is warm before charging etc etc. My plan was to charge at home, either with just the ‘granny’ charger on a dedicated EV socket, then possibly have a 7kw charger installed, or use the free pod points at my local Tesco. I don’t do a lot of mileage, so I doubt I would ever need rapid charging.
I don't know my battery state of health and I've been driving it for 2 years. I usually charge at home on the granny charger (doing it for free at the moment off the solar) up to 80%-90%. Also charge at Tesco for free while the supreme commander is shopping. Basically, that's all you need to do. If you go any distance, use Zap-Map to find a charger if you need one, and for a road trip use A Better Route Planner.

You can be as geeky or nerdy as you want to be. This forum is a mix of all of them. :)

Enjoy your EV when you get it. You will love it.

@ Jomarkh

You don't need to do all that stuff. I have done 16.5k miles in my first, year nearly all home charging and a few free shopping top ups. You will need the PodPoint app for Tesco's as even though they are free you need to 'confirm' the charge on the app but it easy to do.

You can be as geeky or nerdy as you want to be. This forum is a mix of all of them. :)
This hits the nail on the head.
It's not really a question of understanding the car, it's a question of understanding forums.
In the wider internet car forum domain, discussion is invariably dominated by those who obsess over fine points of detail and faults in particular so it's easy to conclude that this somehow defines the ownership experience.
In reality it doesn't because the vociferous few are massively outnumbered by the silent many who just enjoy their ownership experience without making any fuss.

Some owners are more interested in the "techie" side of ownership. Others just charge and drive. The charging side is very easy to pick up. You will be fine. And once you have made the switch, I would be surprised if you ever seriously contemplate going back to an ICE vehicle.

EVs are really plug & go, so you don't need to understand all the technicalities - other than the basics like where do I put the juice in. The are so good (and fun) to drive.
I've just ordered my MG as an upgrade from our Smurf as I will soon need the better range. Expected in August, but I'll take that with a pinch of salt!
I hope this helps.
Your comments are really useful for us to understand what people are up against.

Some owners are more interested in the "techie" side of ownership. Others just charge and drive. The charging side is very easy to pick up. You will be fine. And once you have made the switch, I would be surprised if you ever seriously contemplate going back to an ICE vehicle.
This post sums things up nicely. I have 7kw charging and very rarely need to charge away from home. In my case a range of 140 miles give or take covers 95% of all my travel.

It seems you're overthinking it. There is no requirement for an extra special skill beyond common sense & being able to read, which would be the same for any vehicle. The basics to me seem no different vs an ICE car, i.e; know how to fill up, check tyre pressures, not drain the 12v, and where to put the screenwash...

If you want to know more, it's really up to you - what's great is that you can utilise a forum like this as a huge resource. Don't forget, nobody popped forth from the womb with all this additional EV knowledge... it's something that was/can be picked up over time if you're interested - no pressure to know it all right now, or ever.

That said, I am biased and have never been one to advocate for staying wilfully blinkered - if for no other reason than not being taken for a muppet when walking into a garage. I would always encourage people to try and enjoy knowledge that is freely there for the taking :)

@ Jomarkh

I'm new too had the trophy SR for 2k miles. I mainly drive in eco, don't use break much to regenerate the battery, use heated seat if it's cold. Have done almost all charges at Tesco which recharges about 10 percent of battery on SR per hour. Haven't got home charger have granny charged twice, and rapid charged twice which took about 35 mins to go from 15 percent full to 80 percent full. Love the car knew little before getting it enjoyed learning about it but no need to have done at all

This may be of interest if not comfort...

Thank you to everyone for your reassurance - it really has helped! I shall continue to follow the forum, but perhaps pay less attention to stuff that’s way beyond my understanding.

@ billybonfire3 - thank you especially for that snippet - approximately 10% battery charging per hour from a 7kw Tesco pod point on your SR Trophy. That’s the sort of information I can understand and utilise.

Thank you to everyone for your reassurance - it really has helped! I shall continue to follow the forum, but perhaps pay less attention to stuff that’s way beyond my understanding.

@ billybonfire3 - thank you especially for that snippet - approximately 10% battery charging per hour from a 7kw Tesco pod point on your SR Trophy. That’s the sort of information I can understand and utilise.
If you heat the battery up first and have a lower SOH with warmer temperatures in the summer you have to then calculate the wind direction on your driving too. 🤣

Last edited:
Neither it is an issue in EV. You plug it in when battery is low and you drive it when battery isn't low that is all you need to know. In addition to that you charge it to full at least once a month and this is it.

My driving since I got a car has been just that. I drive a car like normal plug it in whn my battery is low or whenever I happen to be near free charging point and that's all I'm doing with it. No need to understand anything else about a car unless you particularly want to.

@ Jomarkh

Some people on here get obsessed qith the small technicalities but the majority of us just charge and drive, I wouldn't bother will all of the other stuff.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom