• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Good Practice for Battery Life and Home Charging

greeiig

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi all,
I just got my home charger installed - a PodPoint.
I'm typically going to do very few miles -just short trips round town - with the off longish trip thrown in.
My limited research would suggest that good practice would be:
1. not to continually recharge the battery - I'm thinking I'll just drive until the battery drops to around 20%, then charge it. This is likely to be less than once a week or until I know a long trip is coming up
2. When charging - best not to fully charge to 100%. I'm thinking I'll try to charge to 80% each time - unless I'm about to go on a long trip where I need the range.

Any views on the above would be appreciated. And also....

Assuming I'm not totally off the mark with the above: one thing I would like to be able to do - but don't think there is a way way with either the MG5 or my PodPoint charger - is to get the charging to automatically stop once I get to the charge level I want to. It would be great if that could be programmed either in the car or the charger. I think this functionality exists with some EV car makes?
Anyway, it looks like if I want an 80% charge, I need to either
1. stop charging manually at the right time - based on the estimated charge time shown. or
2. Set the Podpoint schedule to stop at the right time after I plug it in - but that means updating the time schedule manually once I've worked out how much I need. It seems a bit clumsy. Actually the more I think of it, if I know that it takes - say - 7 hours to charge from 20% to 80%, I just set the podpoint schedule for 7 hours by default. I'd just need to remember to take the schedule off if I want it to go to 100%.

I'm sure some of you clever lot have dealt with all this - I'd appreciate any wise words / suggestions

Still good question. I only ever see "connected-uncharged" after charge and 100% SOC. I have never seen "Finished" even if left on for balance should I ?
It's the other way round, it says, "Finished 100%" whilst it's still balancing, then "connected uncharged" when it's finished balancing.

Upvote 0
What do people do who don't have access to a charger at home? Are they meant to leave the car at some AC charger overnight? I get there lower cost EV's, but this is a very stupid design that's caused some people to get in very dangerous situations where the HV battery has just disconnected and left people stranded due to the battery going out of balance.

This could get a bit like the DPF in the diesels, where they seem to be designed from the view that people will do long journeys to clear it out once in a while and it seems like with the battery balancing that people will be charging it to 100% on AC once in a while, without considering like the diesel some people might not always do long enough journeys and with EVs those without home/work charging it could get challenging if you don't live close to a public charger that is safe to be left for long periods unattended.

Upvote 0
Just to throw a boulder into the pond...I’m on 23k miles in my 5SR and I have the philosophy of charging no matter where the % is.
By this I mean I can get home with 10% battery and will charge overnight to include the 4 cheap hours of Octopus Go electricity. I will do the same if I am on 60% battery as I may need to do 150 miles the next day. If I know where I’m working the next day and there is more than enough battery/range I won’t charge. I had a 15k service last year and the battery was 100%. I always charge to 100% and I see no change in the range etc. I still have the mentality of topping the car up as I may (or Mrs Stuwit46) may need to do an unexpected journey after I get home.
I use this car as if it has a tiny fuel tank that gets filled up with very cheap fuel using a tiny nozzle at the end of a very slow pump 😂
I guess we all have different ways of using our electric steeds, and to that end have different needs when considering topping up and running low. 😊

Upvote 0
Note how the website says "While the battery cells will sort themselves out up to a point if the car is simply left" I don't even know what the source if that info is.
You followed the link to find what you have mentioned, so you will have noticed that the website is Tesla. Where they get their info from I know not but they seem to be pretty well up on battery stuff.

Upvote 0
This fact!

• Cycling from 100 to 0 % we get 500 cycles
  • Cycling from 100 to 10 % we get 500 cycles
  • Cycling from 100 to 20 % we get 1.000 cycles

• Cycling from 90 to 0 % we get 1.500 cycles
  • Cycling from 90 to 10 % we get 1.500 cycles
  • Cycling from 90 to 20 % we get 2.000 cycles

• Cycling from 80 to 0 % we get 3.000 cycles
  • Cycling from 80 to 10 % we get 3.000 cycles
  • Cycling from 80 to 20 % we get 3.500 cycles

• Cycling from 70 to 0 % we get 5.000 cycles
  • Cycling from 70 to 10 % we get 5.500 cycles
  • Cycling from 70 to 20 % we get 6.000 cycles
That's the info I was after! Really interesting that it's how full you charge it rather than how low you let it go that improves the number of cycles.
Now if I can just work out how many cycles is optimum before requiring active balancing I will be sorted. I suspect though that I'll not do many 20-70% cycles with my short distance city driving before wanting to top it to 100% - and do the active balancing thing..

Upvote 0
Just to throw a boulder into the pond...I’m on 23k miles in my 5SR and I have the philosophy of charging no matter where the % is.
By this I mean I can get home with 10% battery and will charge overnight to include the 4 cheap hours of Octopus Go electricity. I will do the same if I am on 60% battery as I may need to do 150 miles the next day. If I know where I’m working the next day and there is more than enough battery/range I won’t charge. I had a 15k service last year and the battery was 100%. I always charge to 100% and I see no change in the range etc. I still have the mentality of topping the car up as I may (or Mrs Stuwit46) may need to do an unexpected journey after I get home.
I use this car as if it has a tiny fuel tank that gets filled up with very cheap fuel using a tiny nozzle at the end of a very slow pump 😂
I guess we all have different ways of using our electric steeds, and to that end have different needs when considering topping up and running low. 😊
Fair enough - I can imagine that if you'd been stingy about charging, then have a short notice trip that you can't do because the car is only on 50%, it would be a right pain (to say the least).
At the moment I'm not really driving for work and the only long trips I have coming up are planned well in advance. May not be like that for ever..

Upvote 0
That's the info I was after! Really interesting that it's how full you charge it rather than how low you let it go that improves the number of cycles.
Now if I can just work out how many cycles is optimum before requiring active balancing I will be sorted. I suspect though that I'll not do many 20-70% cycles with my short distance city driving before wanting to top it to 100% - and do the active balancing thing..
I'm doing 30-70% on Go when needed, more only when required. Even at 30% that's 60 miles, further is unlikely & a rapid will do.

Upvote 0
Hi,

I also charge all the time. I treat my car like a large I Phone. When asleep the car is on charge no matter what the SOC was and or what my travel plans are the next day, whether small or large.

Consequently I HAVE NEVER had any problems with either flat 12v battery and or any balancing problems or have been caught out with an unexpected long journeys.

I will always continue to do this no matter what as I installed my home charger for convenience and will continue with this charging regime. The faffing around worrying about, how, when and how much to charge the car is just too much hassle, home, plug it in , sleep.

However every one to their own, but I will say this, for those of you procrastinating about using a granny charger against a home charger, don't. If you are able to, fit a home charger as I myself could not handle the inconvenience of running around trying to maintain their charge and more importantly the balance of their battery.

Lastly, if you are thinking of running an EV get your home checked for the viability of fitting a home charger first as some installations can cost thousands due to looped/shared supplies in older properties, and my apologies for those with no off road parking.

Regards

Frank

Upvote 0
for those of you procrastinating about using a granny charger against a home charger, don't. If you are able to, fit a home charger as I myself could not handle the inconvenience of running around trying to maintain their charge and more importantly the balance of their battery.
Agree wholeheartedly with this bit

Upvote 0
I plug in at around 20% or less unless I need more the following day and leave it overnight so it goes to 100% and then does the balancing charge. The charge usually lasts around a week with my daily commute. I wouldn't worry too much about this, unless you're keeping the car long term, the battery is covered by the 7 year warranty so if it drops below 70% SOH in that time MG will replace it.

Upvote 0
Hi,

I also charge all the time. I treat my car like a large I Phone. When asleep the car is on charge no matter what the SOC was and or what my travel plans are the next day, whether small or large.

Consequently I HAVE NEVER had any problems with either flat 12v battery and or any balancing problems or have been caught out with an unexpected long journeys.

I will always continue to do this no matter what as I installed my home charger for convenience and will continue with this charging regime. The faffing around worrying about, how, when and how much to charge the car is just too much hassle, home, plug it in , sleep.

However every one to their own, but I will say this, for those of you procrastinating about using a granny charger against a home charger, don't. If you are able to, fit a home charger as I myself could not handle the inconvenience of running around trying to maintain their charge and more importantly the balance of their battery.

Lastly, if you are thinking of running an EV get your home checked for the viability of fitting a home charger first as some installations can cost thousands due to looped/shared supplies in older properties, and my apologies for those with no off road parking.

Regards

Frank
Pretty much how I plan to use mine when it (FINALLY!) arrives. I am going to charge at work on a 7Kw we have here but when I get home, it's also going to get plugged in each evening. The beauty of am EV is that when you wake up each morning, you'll have a full "tank" so why you'd want to have anxiety about an unexpected journey or if you're going to make it all the way to the destination the next day baffles me! I don't know anyone with a petrol station in their garage, so the fact we can "fill up" overnight is a huge benefit in my head!

Upvote 0
It does make me smile all you newbies wanting to trash your batteries to 100% every time as if a sudden a 4 hour drive across the country is always imminent! I know, I did this on my 1st LEAF and wow didn't the battery suffer! And oh the mobile excuse, is even worse! Do you know how long a typical mobile battery lasts & how quickly it's charge holding ability wanes over time? I can tell you it's not good but a few quid for a new battery is fine, plugging it into a USB on the move is easy.

Those 500-1000 cycles of life will result in the hidden spare range MG having provided drying up in a year and real range loss becoming apparent in year 2.

Meanwhile , my charging method will ensure no range loss at all whilst I own the MG and much less if I keep it.

I do know what 'sudden' trips I might have to make & am always covered for that, but TBH 30% covers that most of the time.

Now what would I do if I 'suddenly' needed to drive 100's of miles? Ahh yes, a Rapid charger!

Upvote 0
Yep, @EVsince2016 persuaded me his charging strategy is correct and will optimise the battery life. That is important to me as I currently am thinking this car is a keeper, though who knows?

I can't remember the last time I had an unexpected long journey, and I can't think of many circumstances which would demand one (except something really REALLY serious, and in that case if necessary I'd just hire a car, or use the wife's!) but I am lucky to have an underutilised fast charger (CCS?) within a mile of home which I could give it quick boost if necessary.

Upvote 0
Typically 30-80% from a 4 hour Go charge although that wasn't driven by ideology, just convenience.

Upvote 0
After all the great advice on this thread, my strategy now I think is simple enough.

For everyday use:
  • Set my home Podpoint charger to run for 5 hours overnight.
  • Only plug it in when the car gets down to below 30%,
  • The charger will bring it up to around 80%
  • repeat..
If I am going for a longer trip:
  • Remove the podpoint schedule so it doesn't stop after 5 hours
  • Plug it in overnight and let it fully charge
  • and away I go
For me I don't think it'll cause any stress and will mean the battery is fairly well looked after.

Upvote 0
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom