• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

GPS Tracking

busa

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
Hi there, I have read a few posts about “keyless entry” and other security concerns.

Has anyone fitted a GPS tracking system?

I fitted a GPS tracking system to my Motorcycle a Hayabusa, the tracking system looked just like an electrical relay and was hidden out of sight.

The system used a Giff Gaff sim, so I was able to communicate with it for free, Giff gaff to Giff Gaff.

I had the misfortune to have the bike stolen, they thieves had cut the chains to the ground anchor and the pushed the bike on a van I went on the app and it gave me the location of the bike, it even gave the route and time of the incident. I did call the police, but they didn’t seem interested as I had found the bike, didn’t even bother to gain any forensics.

I found the bike a few miles away, in a motorcycle parking bay with a brand-new bike cover over it, the police explained later that this was a common trick, as the thieves would wait a few days and then come and collect the bike, as no one would question a bike being recovered from a parking bay.

I’m sure we don’t want to post what extra security devices we have if this will compromise them.

But I can highly recommend it, my cheap £20 GPS tracker saved the day.

The iSmart app on my HS PHEV has a "Find My Car" feature.

20211021_111529000_iOS.png

20211021_111853000_iOS.png

Also interesting is 48Km at 72% equals 66km at 100%.

Yes, I get close to 70km range from a full charge. I think living in the tropics makes a difference to battery range. The coldest it gets here is about 18°C so we very rarely have to use the heater.

In case anybody is wondering the nickname for my car is Moo Dang which means red pig in Thai. We previously own a red Suzuki Swift which was called Noo Dang which means red mouse in Thai

Also interesting is 48Km at 72% equals 66km at 100%.
MG have fixed battery distance based on SoC %. Unlikely to see any degradation data unless folks start collecting it :)

I have driven it over 40 miles - 63km here in the UK when weather was in 20s

Hi there, I have read a few posts about “keyless entry” and other security concerns.

Has anyone fitted a GPS tracking system?

I fitted a GPS tracking system to my Motorcycle a Hayabusa, the tracking system looked just like an electrical relay and was hidden out of sight.

The system used a Giff Gaff sim, so I was able to communicate with it for free, Giff gaff to Giff Gaff.

I had the misfortune to have the bike stolen, they thieves had cut the chains to the ground anchor and the pushed the bike on a van I went on the app and it gave me the location of the bike, it even gave the route and time of the incident. I did call the police, but they didn’t seem interested as I had found the bike, didn’t even bother to gain any forensics.

I found the bike a few miles away, in a motorcycle parking bay with a brand-new bike cover over it, the police explained later that this was a common trick, as the thieves would wait a few days and then come and collect the bike, as no one would question a bike being recovered from a parking bay.

I’m sure we don’t want to post what extra security devices we have if this will compromise them.

But I can highly recommend it, my cheap £20 GPS tracker saved the day.
Not as cheap as £20, but this is the one that I have fitted to both of my cars
GPS Car Tracker Theft Protection-Awarded for Vehicle Tracker 2019 Amatrac AM-T22. Accurate Global Positioning 2G Real Time Fast Tracking Direct to your Smartphone. Installed in the OBD Port in Seconds Amazon product ASIN B07GYVZV55

Also using Giffgaff sim

Where is the OBD port?
Also, I thought that the HS complained if anything was in the OBD port under normal driving conditions and not stationary?
It is usually somewhere very near to the steering wheel. Have a look under the trim, cannot tell/show you as I have a ZS. Also, cannot comment on the leaving it in the port but my ZS dies not complain

I had a tracker device in the OBD port but the alarm kept going off so I have hidden an Apple AirTag in the vehicle. It was handy to keep an eye on the car's location when it was back at the dealership during the summer.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom