Granny home charging instead of Type 2?

I think Australia may use the MEN rather than PEN system, so requirements and safety issues may be different. Be worth checking locally with a sparky.
According to research us aussies have the MEN system. Don't know if that is good or bad compared to the UK PEN system as far as charging EV's is concerned with a granny charger...:p

According to research us aussies have the MEN system. Don't know if that is good or bad compared to the UK PEN system as far as charging EV's is concerned with a granny charger...:p
You're probably OK with a granny system - providing the wiring to the socket is sound and absolutely capable of handling the current. BUT consult a qualified electrician anyway!

Power = Volts x Amps

so 240V x 10A = 2,400W = 2.4kW

Actual charge in the car will be slightly less due to charging losses. :)

I think some of the problem here is the insistence by members of calling the chargers "grannies". The original name is an Occasional Use Charger (OUC) this makes it more explicit that they aren't designed to be a permanent solution.

If you plan to use these on a regular basis they will fail quicker than you expect either at the plug or the unit, especially if using outside as they also aren't waterproof. Long term it is easier to have a tethered charging unit and it will eventually pay for itself in replacement chargers or by providing more kWhs during off peak tariffs.

I think some of the problem here is the insistence by members of calling the chargers "grannies". The original name is an Occasional Use Charger (OUC) this makes it more explicit that they aren't designed to be a permanent solution.

If you plan to use these on a regular basis they will fail quicker than you expect either at the plug or the unit, especially if using outside as they also aren't waterproof. Long term it is easier to have a tethered charging unit and it will eventually pay for itself in replacement chargers or by providing more kWhs during off peak tariffs.
Well actually a portable EVSE is not a charger at all. It isn't really anything more than a glorified extension lead. Your car has the charger all the EVSE's electronics does is tell the car what current the power source can handle and then the charger in your car will pull that power only. You can buy portable EVSE's that can signal various current capabilities. Of course you need to be aware of the current limits of the power source before you set the Evse. Most evse's that I have seen are IP66 for the electronics box but the type 2 plugs that are connected are usually IP55 but that is the same for a permanently installed dedicated EVSE.

I think some of the problem here is the insistence by members of calling the chargers "grannies". The original name is an Occasional Use Charger (OUC) this makes it more explicit that they aren't designed to be a permanent solution
Totally agree !.
I think like in most cases, the correct terminology receives / adopts a bit of "EV Speak Twist / Slang Name" along the way ! 🤣 .
Not a charger at all really, but there you go, that's another subject.
The OUC device appear to adopt the name "Granny Charger", because it was said that owners of EV's could even pick up a charge, when they paid a visit to Grandmother's on Sunday maybe.
Making the point that almost everybody has access to a three pin 13 Amp socket outlet, but NOT a wall box of course !.
The predicted range gauge of the car, also got a similar treatment when it clearly attached itself onto the EV Speak / Slang expression of "GOM" ( Guess-O-Meter ) 👏.
This happens across all walks of life !.
We tend to call ALL home vacuum cleaners, hoovers.
But they are not made by the company Hoover of course !.
Strange how some names just stick and and never let go.

Totally agree !.
I think like in most cases, the correct terminology receives / adopts a bit of "EV Speak Twist / Slang Name" along the way ! 🤣 .
Not a charger at all really, but there you go, that's another subject.
The OUC device appear to adopt the name "Granny Charger", because it was said that owners of EV's could even pick up a charge, when they paid a visit to Grandmother's on Sunday maybe.
Making the point that almost everybody has access to a three pin 13 Amp socket outlet, but NOT a wall box of course !.
The predicted range gauge of the car, also got a similar treatment when it clearly attached itself onto the EV Speak / Slang expression of "GOM" ( Guess-O-Meter ) 👏.
This happens across all walks of life !.
We tend to call ALL home vacuum cleaners, hoovers.
But they are not made by the company Hoover of course !.
Strange how some names just stick and and never let go.
I thought they were granny chargers 'cos they're slow!

Hmm. Not sure about that. The MG manual refers to them as 'Residential charging device' and a 'home charging kit'.

Is there evidence that they 'fail quicker'? Done getting on for 6K miles in my car 99% charged on a granny with absolutely no issues of any kind. Can't be said of the 3 times I've used rapids. One successful, one wouldn't take payment and failed, one reluctant to start then refused to stop!

Hmm. Not sure about that. The MG manual refers to them as 'Residential charging device' and a 'home charging kit'.

Is there evidence that they 'fail quicker'? Done getting on for 6K miles in my car 99% charged on a granny with absolutely no issues of any kind. Can't be said of the 3 times I've used rapids. One successful, one wouldn't take payment and failed, one reluctant to start then refused to stop!
No statistical evidence, but virtually everyone I know that insisted on using one prior to getting a wall box installed didn't last more than a year before it broke or melted the socket.

I think the resistance to home chargers on cost grounds is wrong headed.

Think of it like this: you get a cut price filling station on your own property for around £1,000 that will save you many times that over the years (with cheap off peak rates and/or savings vs ICE).

We should be asking: “why is this so cheap?”.

I think the resistance to home chargers on cost grounds is wrong headed.

Think of it like this: you get a cut price filling station on your own property for around £1,000 that will save you many times that over the years (with cheap off peak rates and/or savings vs ICE).

We should be asking: “why is this so cheap?”.
It will also add value to the property or at least make it more desirable.

No statistical evidence, but virtually everyone I know that insisted on using one prior to getting a wall box installed didn't last more than a year before it broke or melted the socket.
Interesting. As a different point of reference. Of all the people who i know that have an EV only one has a home permanently installed EVSE, all the others use a portable evse at home or a charging cable on the public evse's or DC fast charger. None of them have said to me that they have had a problem with their Portable. Maybe its because i live in spain and all our connectors are rated for at least 16amps. Although I know at least 4 of them have had a proper dedicated circuit installed to a higher rated socket outlet.

Interesting. As a different point of reference. Of all the people who i know that have an EV only one has a home permanently installed EVSE, all the others use a portable evse at home or a charging cable on the public evse's or DC fast charger. None of them have said to me that they have had a problem with their Portable. Maybe its because i live in spain and all our connectors are rated for at least 16amps. Although I know at least 4 of them have had a proper dedicated circuit installed to a higher rated socket outlet.
Living in Spain also means you don't get the crappy damp cold weather we get that destroys electrical components that aren't sealed!

Living in Spain also means you don't get the crappy damp cold weather we get that destroys electrical components that aren't sealed!
Very true! I remeber it well. Although all portable EVSEs I've seen have a IP66 rating on the electronics box so in theory that should not be a problem at least with the EVSE.

Very true! I remeber it well. Although all portable EVSEs I've seen have a IP66 rating on the electronics box so in theory that should not be a problem at least with the EVSE.
My BMW i3s wasn't we had to place it under the rear wheel arch or use 2 buckets to keep it dry!

My BMW i3s wasn't we had to place it under the rear wheel arch or use 2 buckets to keep it dry!
I imaging if it was supplied with your i3 I assume it was from quite a few years ago. All the EVSE's I've seen are new in the last 2 to 3 years.

I imaging if it was supplied with your i3 I assume it was from quite a few years ago. All the EVSE's I've seen are new in the last 2 to 3 years.
It was an original 21 kWh version (2015) which we had for 5 years, brilliant little car to drive but my kids didn't like the rear seats and the boot was tiny!

I don't think I have even taken the cellophane of an OUC since the BMW and our MG will be our 5th EV

It was an original 21 kWh version (2015) which we had for 5 years, brilliant little car to drive but my kids didn't like the rear seats and the boot was tiny!

I don't think I have even taken the cellophane of an OUC since the BMW and our MG will be our 5th EV
Wow 5 EV's. This MG4 will be my first.

For peace of mind, I would always recommend a home charger. The cost is a small fraction of the cost of the EV itself and the running cost savings should pay for it quite quickly.
There's no need for a home charger in Australia (especially if you have solar).
Just change a 10A socket to 15A (cost about $400 with an electrician), and charging your car is now 50% faster.
You just top the car up every few days, just like a mobile phone.

EDIT: Decent home chargers probably cost a lot more (purchase and install) in Australia than the UK though. YMMV.

Last edited:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 535 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel