Don, we have just ordered an MG4 Trophy (due for delivery end of July) and the dealer recommended these:

There are other similar things available, but they might help your wife get in and over the sill.

Or another, much cheaper thought! My wife uses a leg lifter to help her get in and out of the car. There loads if you search for leg lifter on eBay - here is one example:

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Don, we have just ordered an MG4 Trophy (due for delivery end of July) and the dealer recommended these:

There are other similar things available, but they might help your wife get in and over the sill.

Or another, much cheaper thought! My wife uses a leg lifter to help her get in and out of the car. There loads if you search for leg lifter on eBay - here is one example:

That's exactly the device my wife used when recovering from her broken hip, worked a treat.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I've just volunteered to be a driver for the village transport-to-medical-appointments scheme that's being organised. I wonder if I should look at getting something like that? We're not allowed to lift people or take people with significant mobility impairment (unless they have a carer with them), but a bit of extra help to get into the car might be a good idea.

I've just volunteered to be a driver for the village transport-to-medical-appointments scheme that's being organised. I wonder if I should look at getting something like that? We're not allowed to lift people or take people with significant mobility impairment (unless they have a carer with them), but a bit of extra help to get into the car might be a good idea.
Well done you. As a bus driver the only help we were supposed to give to passengers was an arm to steady the infirm or to stop a wheelchair tipping backwards as it went up the ramp but we were not supposed to push it. Might seem a bit mean but if we injured ourselves what happens to the bus full of passengers?
Have you considered a handle that fits in the door catch to make it easier for your intended passengers?
1688447604270.png

Well done you. As a bus driver the only help we were supposed to give to passengers was an arm to steady the infirm or to stop a wheelchair tipping backwards as it went up the ramp but we were not supposed to push it. Might seem a bit mean but if we injured ourselves what happens to the bus full of passengers?
Have you considered a handle that fits in the door catch to make it easier for your intended passengers?
View attachment 18740
Not sure of the door will latch correctly after putting too much weight on it over time. And the paint work may get damaged.
Don’t look like a great idea to me!

We're allowed to get out of the car and open the doors for people! Also to offer them an arm or something like that.

I take an elderly neighbour to church sometimes - she had a hip replacement a few years ago and she's just slow, walks with a stick. I get out and offer her an arm to walk down the path to the car. I hold the door open for her and hold her stick while she gets in. Same thing in reverse at the other end. I see this as the minimum courtesy under the circumstances.

I asked the people organising the driving-to-hospital scheme if this was OK, because I couldn't see myself sitting in a car while someone like that struggled on her own, and was told this was fine. Just courtesy. It seems to me that having something like that on the car, that the passenger could make use of on their own, would be an extra advantage.

My wife has difficulty clambering over the ledge (a running board !?). Always gets her legs wet when it's been raining, too.

Yup the extra wide sills of the 4 were a literal pain for my motorbike-racing knackered right hip.
Not something I’ve come across since getting rid.
Not that it was a reason to get rid, just something I noted.

I literally haven't noticed this, nor has the elderly lady with the stick and the hip replacement I drive to church.

Maybe she’s twisting around to get out, not putting one leg out first like I do.
The hip extension needed to get one foot on the ground in the 4, without trousers hitting the sill & getting dirty, caused me noticeable discomfort that no other car has before or since.
It might have bugged me more over time, we’ll never know.

Last edited:
That's probably it. People do things different ways, it's a very individual thing. I said to her, people have complained that this car doesn't have a grab handle above the door, do you miss it? She said no, never use it. Neither did my elderly mother, who also had poor mobility, although the Golf did have one. I don't even remember seeing anyone use one, although they're obviously important to some people.

I wonder if the Golf is similar, given that I don't notice it?

No it isn’t, either older ones or the current one.
My VW dealer keeps trying to get me back into a golf, given I’m easily into double figures of golf’s owned and he still considers me a ‘golf man’
I take the test drives anyway, it’s become such a dull dull car.

Always been a BIG fan of the Golf myself !.
Had about 6 different Golf’s and about 4 different Polo models.
I think with them all combined, I only ever had 2 faults that required attention performed under warranty.
Mobility issues now dictates that a higher ride height is better for my old bones.

Off topic - I had a new MK2 8v GTI and it was the most disappointing car I've ever had! Snooty dealer once I'd bought it, loads of niggles (6 issues within the first month) including poor paint and I vowed I would never touch another VW again. MG dealer is far better so far 😎.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 501 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back