Have I made a mistake?

Ermski

Standard Member
Reaction score
Morning all. So I get my new Trophy in black on Monday morning. I have been stalking these forums daily since I ordered one, reading all your posts, and I have to say there are some wonderful helpful people posting answers to people's questions. The thing is all I see is issues with the MG in almost every post - rattles, squeaks, bulges, battery issues, sat nav etc. etc., the list seems to be endless. I know the price point is good but the problems are spooking me a bit. :(

Social media thrives on negativity. In fairness, you do get positive comments on here and on some MG4 forums on Facebook where people are countering the negative posts to say how pleased they are and no issues with software etc. I've only had Xpower for 2 days and so far all good.

Morning all, so i get my new Trophy in black on Monday morning, i have been stalking these forums daily since i ordered one reading all your posts and i have to say there are some wonderful helpful people posting answers to people questions. The thing is all i see is issues with the MG in almost every post, rattles, squeaks, bulges, battery issues, sat nav ect ect the list seems to be endless. I know the price point is good but the problems are spooking me a bit :(
Good morning Ermski. Good luck for Monday. Don’t be too concerned - I’ve got a 5 estate but these EVs all have the same traits. They’re all so damned comfy and quiet that you hear squeaks from the car next door at the traffic lights, the sparrows bickering at the roadside etc better than ice drivers notice any of their myriad noises. I don’t bother too much with the setting and adjusting and footering with the screens or the radio etc. I just get in and settle for a drive - lovely 👌

I must admit I'm glad I didn't read these forums before I purchased my MG :)
I'm very pleased with my car and don't regret buying it at all. Yes, there are some minor niggles with the software but they are mostly among the "gimmicks" and there's always hope that they can be fixed with updates. As a car it works well and is a joy to drive. It's the nature of forums and other social media that you find lots of complaints. I wouldn't worry about it .

It spooked me too but I am very happy with my car so far (Xpower steering vibration/hum aside which won't affect you). Forums tend to concentrate on problems and only the bad ! If I had been spooked by forum talk in the past and cancelled orders/not ordered I would have missed out on some great cars that were faultless for me.

Think positive and enjoy your car 👍 Good luck with pickup and hope all goes well. There are some good posts on here on what to check on pickup.

It didn't win car of the year for no reason plus about 15 other awards, & numerous gushing comments from car reviewers. It just got a car of the year award here in Australia too.

No car is perfect and the MG4 is no exception to the rule. It is though, bloody good. I'd buy it again in a heartbeat.

I personally couldn't live with the numerous issues - 12V battery discharge risk for example - even when acknowledging that the car is basically a very good one. Hoping that MG will resolve them but fear they will not.

Ahh thanks guys you've all put a smile back on my face, excited for Monday. 1st stop a garden centre to buy Christmas decorations :D

No! For goodness sake!

Don't put any Christmas Decorations in it!!!

It'll start pulling to the left

The horn will go off intermittently

Your seat will recline! WITH YOU IN IT!!!

The screen will go on and off

Noddy holder will be screaming out the speakers "ITS CHRISSSSSSTMAAAASSSS"

Its a great car and I thoroughly echo all the POSITIVE MESSAGES said up above.

Enjoy your new car👍

Last edited:
Ahh thanks guys you've all put a smile back on my face, excited for Monday. 1st stop a garden centre to buy Christmas decorations :D
Ahhh noooo you’ve just ruined it 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ That car will look silly in baubles and tinsel - I’m sorry but somebody has to tell you these things on the quiet.

I've been driving my Trophy for over a year now and 10k+ miles on the clock. I love it and you'd find it difficult to have a more fun every day drive. It's smooth, quiet and even the normal versions have enough acceleration for most people.

Yes there were a few software niggles at first and some people have had issues with undertrays/charging/rattles and a number of other things. Look at these in proportion, it's a small number of people reporting on here compared to the thousands of MG4's that have been sold so far.

I've had mine a Year - ITS BEEN A YEAR OF SMILES

Yes its needed some s/w updates - But to be honest - VW held the early Id3 for ages whilst they ironed out s/w issues - Yes MG released ver VW Holding - But I'd fair rather have my car and use it rather than have a car that's sat in an external compound for 8 months - Think People forgot that minor issue for VW.

& New cars now are MUCH better than us early birds versions as they have ironed out most of the issues..

BUT I have NO intentions of moving my Satsuma on - So enjoy your car and ignore all the negativity (y)

We've had out Trophy for 3 months without problems. I did have to write a Trophy Guide to understand its features and I am still trying to understand iSmart. It's worthwhile getting your dealer to set up iSmart.
It's not a perfect car but it's about £15,000 cheaper than the mainstream competition. For that saving, I'm prepared to take risks.

Great guide, ill have a proper read on my lunch, I'm just getting the car dropped off by a guy who isn't associated with MG so I don't even know how to start the car. I was thinking of going to MG on the weekend to ask for a test drive but I'm socially awkward and don't want to bother them if I'm not buying off them :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

No! For goodness sake!

Don't put any Christmas Decorations in it!!!

It'll start pulling to the left

The horn will go off intermittently

Your seat will recline! WITH YOU IN IT!!!

The screen will go on and off

Noddy holder will be screaming out the speakers "ITS CHRISSSSSSTMAAAASSSS"

My attempt at humour...... HTH 🤣

Its a great car and I thoroughly echo all the POSITIVE MESSAGES said up above.

Enjoy your new car👍
Vodka Breakfast again Mate?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 509 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums