Have I made a mistake?

If you are just getting the car dropped off, check the granny cable is supplied and any other extras promised. There are some posts which suggest if it's a leased car you may also get a 7kW type 2 cable.

Last edited:
We went through the same thought when the heating module on our MG4T broke...it was only 2 weeks after we got the car!

....we had the option of rejecting it but decided to accept a repair (took a few weeks to fix but it's now sorted).

Main reason we kept it was we love the drive....it's so smooth and being RWD the steering isn't having to steer and drive at the same time so feels so well balanced.

We did look around but for the money it's hard to beat the MG4T in terms of spec and range I think.....aside from the heating module fault we've had no other issues.

Morning all, so i get my new Trophy in black on Monday morning, i have been stalking these forums daily since i ordered one reading all your posts and i have to say there are some wonderful helpful people posting answers to people questions. The thing is all i see is issues with the MG in almost every post, rattles, squeaks, bulges, battery issues, sat nav ect ect the list seems to be endless. I know the price point is good but the problems are spooking me a bit :(
Don’t worry generally if you car is going well you say nothing but if you have problems you tell the world. I’ve had two mgs a 5 and now a 4 apart from one update never had a problem.

I only had one problem so far with my Trophy and that was a rattle coming from near the glove box when i went over a speed bump or similar. but this was remedied by sticking some double sided tape around the vents. There is a video on you tube to show you how to do this - costs about a quid to sort out and is very easy to do. Good luck with new car . it looks good and great to drive and still get people coming and asking about the car and people looking as you drive along lol

I've got a list of niggles that's quite long, but most of them are pretty much nothing-burgers and/or have reasonable work-rounds. Also, it sounds as if the legendary R33 for the SE fixes quite a few of them. Nothing that affects my enjoyment of driving the car.

No, not at all. I love my MG4 and despite it having an issue with AC charging at the moment, I’m confident it will be fixed under warranty. I get pleasure from driving it every time I go out in it.

Just enjoy the weekend, with building up your excitement. Then a couple of weeks of agony, to get used to the niggles and flaws... then you will realize buying this car was the most sensible thing to do. Once you over the disappointment it will be fine. I'm still feeling lucky to not paying for the "premium" version, you might find yourself lucky to do it... One thing is for sure, not many options are out in this price range (talking about new EV).
Don't forget, you will find all the answers here;)

It's really fun to drive and that counts for a lot. Things like LKA being aggressive are not an issue on newer cars and the occasional bit of bad UI design is a common factor for pretty much all modern cars, regardless of being EVs or not, and the MG4 interface really is not that bad.

Morning all. So I get my new Trophy in black on Monday morning. I have been stalking these forums daily since I ordered one, reading all your posts, and I have to say there are some wonderful helpful people posting answers to people's questions. The thing is all I see is issues with the MG in almost every post - rattles, squeaks, bulges, battery issues, sat nav etc. etc., the list seems to be endless. I know the price point is good but the problems are spooking me a bit. :(
We love our Orange Luxury!

Morning all. So I get my new Trophy in black on Monday morning. I have been stalking these forums daily since I ordered one, reading all your posts, and I have to say there are some wonderful helpful people posting answers to people's questions. The thing is all I see is issues with the MG in almost every post - rattles, squeaks, bulges, battery issues, sat nav etc. etc., the list seems to be endless. I know the price point is good but the problems are spooking me a bit. :(
Remember you are not seeing hundreds of posts from satisfied drivers with nothing to complain about.

We have surveyed the forum before (perhaps we should do again) and the vast majority of people love their MG4.

Edit: Figures from last poll were that 83% loved their MG4, 12% said they could live with it and 5% were unhappy or ended up returning it.

Last edited:
Thank you for all the replies guys, i am looking forward to it, finally got a install for a ohme charger coming just before Christmas, one more question. When the charger is plugged into my car does it lock into place or can someone just unplug it?

Thank you for all the replies guys, i am looking forward to it, finally got a install for a ohme charger coming just before Christmas, one more question. When the charger is plugged into my car does it lock into place or can someone just unplug it?
Yes - no they can’t.

... and there's a manual release catch behind a cover inside the boot, just in case it gets stuck and won't release at the end of a charge. :)

As a recent driver of a MG4 Luxury (Trophy in other regions) I am extremely satisfied. The car feels solid, is super comfortable and drives like no car in this price segment. Yes there are some minor issues but do they really matter that much? On these forums we mostly share these annoyances to see if someone else might found a fix for them and it makes the car even better. So don't get too discouraged reading of all these issues, it's an extremly solid car.

I have had my MG5 for nearly 30 month.
It is a wonderful car and a joy to drive
I am very fortunate that my local MG dealer is very good although I have had only a few minor problems all of which were covered under warranty.
I am sure you will join the happy band of MG owners
The forum is always very helpful at sorting out problems

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 540 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums