Help...Front Camera Lens

Shanecb

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Help...I thought the auto cruise control seemed a little jerky today and thought I'd check that the front camera wasn't dirty (although I think it mainly uses radar anyway).

I went to wipe it and noticed that the lens on the front camera, which sticks out from the front bumper was cracked!! Not sure what is possible to do about that. The camera still works fine in the car and I cannot see any cracks on the footage as such, but I'd like to get this sorted.

Any views on what is possible would really help. Am I looking at trying to get a replacement plastic lens or am I likely going to need to replace the whole front bumper camera?

Not sure what you're looking at on the front bumper but the forward looking camera is where most of them are, inside the car in the housing around the rear view mirror.

That camera
PXL_20230419_215004648.jpg

Can't help with sorting it out, but isn't the camera in the front bumper just for the 360 view? The camera for sign recognition etc is in the windscreen.

Also makes you think about should you fit a plastic cover it - it's pretty vulnerable out there.

Oh ok...That one. Anyone any knowledge of if this would be a lens replacement or whole camera etc? First time I really looked straight down over it today, but if someone does back into your car when parking for example, it's likely the first thing to touch unfortunately.

That lens is not part of the safety system - the radar distance (accelerate/decelerate) control is below the number plate, and the LKA (left/right) is in the windscreen. So although its very annoying, it shouldn't cause any issues with regards to safety when driving along.

You could as a windscreen repair company if they can do anything as a replacement from MG probably won't be cheap and will probably take ages to supply one.

Thank you for the replies. I'll ask a windscreen company and MG to see if there's anything that can be done and report back if it helps anyone else in the future. Very frustrating, but good to know it won't effect the safety systems.

Can't help with sorting it out, but isn't the camera in the front bumper just for the 360 view? The camera for sign recognition etc is in the windscreen.

Also makes you think about should you fit a plastic cover it - it's pretty vulnerable out there.
Any links to a plastic cover?

Ah yes, not fitted to my SE, glad I've got one less thing to worry about. The front end does seem to be picking up damage at a worrying rate on mine too though.
Quite a few stone chips on the bonnet leading edge, one causing a small but noticeable dent, the metal seems to be extremely thin, even for a modern car :(

Ah yes, not fitted to my SE, glad I've got one less thing to worry about. The front end does seem to be picking up damage at a worrying rate on mine too though.
Quite a few stone chips on the bonnet leading edge, one causing a small but noticeable dent, the metal seems to be extremely thin, even for a modern car :(
Too much slipstreaming. :sneaky: :)

Hmmm ditto :-( Shocking really - I'm getting good with the old food stick paint micro touch in / up..
Paint layers are not as decent as they once were

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 536 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel