Help with 22kW "charger", cable etc

MKR58

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 XPOWER
Hi, forgive me for my ignorance but just had my Xpower deliver and have a 22kW charger

Am I right in thinking the charging cable supplied will only allow a slow charge of 7kW rather than the 22kW rating?

I have bought a 3 phase 32A 22kW rated cable that is due to be delivered will this now give me the 22kW??

Thanks in advance
Love the driving experience of the Xpower and love the quirks with the MG 4 😂😂

Attachments

• IMG_0943.jpeg
    IMG_0943.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 54
Last edited by a moderator:
If you're in the UK you only have a 1ph 6.6kW charger built into the car only the MY22 LR cars had 3ph which was 11kW

Do you have a UK spec XPower?
The UK spec only has a 6.6 kW AC onboard charger so won't charge any higher than 6.6 kW.
I think European spec will charge at a higher rate.

Do you have a UK spec X Power?
The UK spec only has a 6.6kw AC onboard charger so won't charge any higher than 7kw.
I think European spec will charge at a higher rate.
I believe that in EU, all other specs than the most plain one support up to 11kW charging on AC (3 phase 16A). In the UK for some weird reason, the car is only supplied with a 1-phase converter and can therefore only support up to 7kW. Keep in mind that a typical 22kW charger is a 3-phase charger and supplies 16a on three phases. You can only utilize 1 phase so your typical charging rate is about 3.8kW.

But that is the highest you'll get on AC. On DC much faster rates are possible up to 150kW+

I believe that in EU, all other specs than the most plain one support up to 11kW charging on AC (3 phase 16A). In the UK for some weird reason, the car is only supplied with a 1-phase converter and can therefore only support up to 7kW. Keep in mind that a typical 22kW charger is a 3-phase charger and supplies 16a on three phases. You can only utilize 1 phase so your typical charging rate is about 3.8kW.

But that is the highest you'll get on AC. On DC much faster rates are possible up to 150kW+
In the UK domestic supplies while single phase are generally higher powered (total kVA) than those on the continent, where lower powered three phase supplies were preferred

I think 22 kW is 32 amps and not 16 amps as mentioned.
Till a year ago not many cars support 22 kW as 11 kW was standard on 3 phase but it will change.
I'm now installing a charger (SMA 22 kW) which can switch from 1 to 3 phase and back automatically. I hope the MG will follow this protocol, this to maximize use of solar power, it of course needs the intelligence of the SMA home manager to follow the inverters solar production we will see this in spring when the sunny days are back.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 501 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel