Help with My Lane Keep Assist Solution

MAJ

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
I have made previous posts on this subject and have been surprised at some of the responses,

with many suggesting that they have no issues with Lane Keep Assist at all.

I can only assume they have never driven on narrow country roads or through roadworks with narrow lanes.

For me after driving the car for over 6 months with LKA switched ‘OFF’ (staying off), then following a

Software Upgrades LKA defaulting to ‘ON ‘ it is a nightmare.

Trying to remember to switch LKA ‘OFF’ every time I enter the car, or trying to switch LKA ‘OFF’ while

driving both often create a very dangerous situations.

My simple solution would be to have a voice command to switch LKA ‘OFF’

If you agree please contact MG Customer Service on (
[email protected])

Which car do you drive? (Your profile says Not an MG).

Apparently 1100R33 for the SE introduces an LKA Off easy access via the pull down menu (rather than having to delve through the MG Pilot menu).

If people are emailing would it not be better to ask for them to just remember the previous settings like you had before?

The only issue I can see with this is if more than one person drives the car and they have different preferences.

If people are emailing would it not be better to ask for them to just remember the previous settings like you had before?

The only issue I can see with this is if more than one person drives the car and they have different preferences.
Unless MG introduce driver profiles then this is never going to happen - 5 star NCAP rating is what's causing LKA to come on.

Driver profiles would be a better option but would require major software upgade.
Simple voice command should be fairly simple and shoudn't affect 5 star NCAP.

AEB and LKA are EU regulations required for cars since July 2022, so not just a Euro NCAP thing anymore. Here's what the regulations say:

Advanced emergency braking systems and emergency lane-keeping systems shall meet the following requirements in particular:
  • (a) it shall only be possible to switch off such systems one at a time by a sequence of actions to be carried out by the driver;
  • (b) the systems shall be in normal operation mode upon each activation of the vehicle master control switch;
  • (c) it shall be possible to easily suppress audible warnings, but such action shall not at the same time suppress system functions other than audible warnings;
  • (d) it shall be possible for the driver to override such systems.

So voice commands, or a button on the steering wheel etc wouldn't meet (a). I think the only way around this is driver profiles as some other manufacturers have done.

MG4 was homologated before July '22 so those EU regs won't apply (specifically - they're not retroactive). However the Euro NCAP requirements apply from January (I think) '22 so the MG4 must comply with them anyway to get the 5 star rating. :)

Edit: voice deactivation would still comply with a) ... it doesn't say how many steps are in a sequence. ;) (Maybe it does in the detail of the regs, but ...... ) :)

MG4 was homologated before July '22 so those EU regs won't apply (specifically - they're not retroactive). However the Euro NCAP requirements apply from January (I think) '22 so the MG4 must comply with them anyway to get the 5 star rating. :)

Edit: voice deactivation would still comply with a) ... it doesn't say how many steps are in a sequence. ;) (Maybe it does in the detail of the regs, but ...... ) :)
The regs apply after July 22 and as you say , the MG4 is homologated before then, would any software updates be subjected to the new regs, as some have reported that previous LKA systems have changed upon updating and if so would this trend continue? Does this apply to the " not retroactive " comment?:(

Fair enough, my post can sort of be ignored then unless the 5 star NCAP requirements are identical (I can't really find anything about this from a quick search).

I'm not sure how 'sequence' is defined, I assumed buried multiple layers into a menu somewhere but perhaps a voice command is good enough as you would first have to wake up the assistant.

I think the best option would be driver profiles, as far as I know the software is Android based so it should be possible. But considering how long it takes to fix bugs, I can't see them allocating much development time into driver profiles.

Interesting conversation. How about if MG (car makers) would make the system reliable? End of the day, the next model also have to have something similar anyway...

The regs apply after July 22 and as you say , the MG4 is homologated before then, would any software updates be subjected to the new regs, as some have reported that previous LKA systems have changed upon updating and if so would this trend continue? Does this apply to the " not retroactive " comment?:(
I would expect that it is the model that must comply, and as the MG4 was homologated before that date then it doesn't need to - even for software updates and model tweaks. It's when a new model has to be homologated that the regs would apply. (So the Phase 2 MG4 would be classed as being the same as the Phase 1, but with minor tweaks). IMHO IANAL etc. :)

The changes that others have referenced is the fact that their cars kept LKA off, even though they weren't supposed to. Software updates simply brought the car to the as-intended state. :)

The changes that others have referenced is the fact that their cars kept LKA off, even though they weren't supposed to. Software updates simply brought the car to the as-intended state. :)
When I had my test drives and purchased my MG4 Trophy in Nov 22 I was able to permanently disable the LKA feature.
During the period to June 23 updates were carried out for Charging and Lock In issues, but we experienced none of the issues reported by other users and we came to love our MG4.
Since June 23 when we had the LKA update due to windscreen replacement and camera calibration issues, which you describe as a bug fix.
Due to our circumstances (wife being slightly disabled) we now feel this is not the car we purchased
and unless a solution along the lines I suggest is found, we will not be keeping the car as long as we intended.

When I had my test drives and purchased my MG4 Trophy in Nov 22 I was able to permanently disable the LKA feature.
During the period to June 23 updates were carried out for Charging and Lock In issues, but we experienced none of the issues reported by other users and we came to love our MG4.
Since June 23 when we had the LKA update due to windscreen replacement and camera calibration issues, which you describe as a bug fix.
Due to our circumstances (wife being slightly disabled) we now feel this is not the car we purchased
and unless a solution along the lines I suggest is found, we will not be keeping the car as long as we intended.
I didn't use that term at all ... I simply explained the reality. ;)

All MG4s were supposed to default to LKA On, just that some ended up in a condition where it managed to stay off. I suspect that if those cars were reflashed with exactly the same firmware then they would have defaulted to LKA On. So it was more a consistent boot condition, rather than a software bug that was subsequently fixed (as most cars with the exact same firmware reacted as designed). :)

Sorry but I think you are wrong in that all cars MG produced pre 2023 allowed the driver to
disable LKA Permenantly. I had test drives in 2 MGZXEV's and owned one for 6 Months then
had 2 test drives MG4's before purchase. So thats 6 vehicles all with the ability to disable
LKA permiently.

Sorry but you are 100% wrong that any MG4* had the option to disable LKA permanently. I guarantee that you are wrong. (LKA may have stayed off, but it wasn't by design - and I know I'm right about that).

That's not to say we wouldn't like that to be the case (choose to disable LKA permanently), but it absolutely is not.

* I have made no statement whatsoever regarding any other MG model. Only regarding the MG4. (I'm fairly sure that the current ZS, and also the MG5 I think, have such an option. But they were NCAP rated** before the requirement change came into force).

** I'm not sure the original MG5 was ever NCAP rated.

Do you find it an intolerable chore to turn it off at the start of each journey? That's what I do, and it never bothers me.
Maybe if you only do the one longer journey without a stop but when you stop frequently such as when performing errands, then yes, it's a tedious PITA.

MG could help by either making LKA a toggle option for one of the steering wheel favourites (star) button controls, or make CUSTOM drive mode remember settings, including the LKA setting.

MG could help by either making LKA a toggle option for one of the steering wheel favourites (star) button controls, or make CUSTOM drive mode remember settings, including the LKA setting.
That's a good idea ... but Custom at the moment doesn't include any driver assist system - just the drive mode features. So it may be a more involved update to achieve such an option.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 532 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back