Hi! Bought a Salvage Damaged ZS EV! Workshop manual anyone?

Randall

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Just bought a ZS EV, however, unfortunately, crash damaged but aiming to repair to its former glory!

• Does anyone have a link or copy of a workshop manual? (I've found the owners manual)

Any info on this would be great,

Cheers Adam

Hi All,

Just bought a ZS EV, however, unfortunately, crash damaged but aiming to repair to its former glory!

• Does anyone have a link or copy of a workshop manual? (I've found the owners manual)

Any info on this would be great,

Cheers Adam
Is it the Pimlico blue one that was for sale at Copart by any chance? To my knowledge there is no workshop manual available at this time.

Is it the Pimlico blue one that was for sale at Copart by any chance? To my knowledge there is no workshop manual available at this time.
Yes correct! That's the one, I gathered some on the forum would have been watching the auctions.. were you bidding or watching?

Yes correct! That's the one, I gathered some on the forum would have been watching the auctions.. were you bidding or watching?
Just watching, I'm always interested in seeing what's about for a potential EV build donor. I do happen to have a Pimlico blue ZSEV as my daily driver as well :)

Does it need much doing? looked pretty nice, with damage to mainly bolt on parts with the exception of some nasty roof side pillar damage, presumably from the recovery service using straps badly to lift the car through the door apertures after the collision?

Was the suspension damage limited to a lower wishbone fracture?

Anyway, hope you got it for a good price, and the repair goes well. Keep us informed how it's going.

Just watching, I'm always interested in seeing what's about for a potential EV build donor. I do happen to have a Pimlico blue ZSEV as my daily driver as well :)

Does it need much doing? looked pretty nice, with damage to mainly bolt on parts with the exception of some nasty roof side pillar damage, presumably from the recovery service using straps badly to lift the car through the door apertures after the collision?

Was the suspension damage limited to a lower wishbone fracture?

Anyway, hope you got it for a good price, and the repair goes well. Keep us informed how it's going.
Good choice of colour! ;)

Yes a little more than I wanted to spend with all the fees, hopefully, worth it! I'm sure it will be...

Ah, I did wonder about the damage above the doors and roof, now that makes sense! we thought they may have pulled the doors out to get the people out due to no power, more sense from the recovery causing damage!

I haven't actually received it yet, communication issues with Copart, so they're delivering next week now, excited but concerned how bad the damage will be once I have a proper look, agreed a lot is a bolt-on and in preparation, I've picked up parts online and at MG for reasonable prices so far, just hopefully nothings been torn out of the motor/driveshaft area... fingers crossed!

I'll update as I go!

Will you be able to put it "back on the road" OK.. no legal issues?
I believe it will be fine, as far as I'm aware no test is required, however, I would like to have an MG inspection as a peace of mind, whether they offer this service I'm unsure, once at that stage I'll find out...

Good choice of colour! ;)

Yes a little more than I wanted to spend with all the fees, hopefully, worth it! I'm sure it will be...

Ah, I did wonder about the damage above the doors and roof, now that makes sense! we thought they may have pulled the doors out to get the people out due to no power, more sense from the recovery causing damage!

I haven't actually received it yet, communication issues with Copart, so they're delivering next week now, excited but concerned how bad the damage will be once I have a proper look, agreed a lot is a bolt-on and in preparation, I've picked up parts online and at MG for reasonable prices so far, just hopefully nothings been torn out of the motor/driveshaft area... fingers crossed!

I'll update as I go!

I think most of the work will be getting the roof right. I'm assuming you plan to use weld studs and slide hammer to pull this back to where it should be?

Hopefully there'll have been no structural movement around the suspension and it is just a broken wishbone. Maybe you'll need a strut/hub assembly/halfshaft as well, I'll cross my fingers for you!

Under the old C&D categories, C needed a brief inspection by the DVLA after repair, but latterly they dropped the requirement. My understanding under the new S/N category is you don't need anything, just the normal legal requirement to be roadworthy. Out of interest, was this S or N?

Be cautious if you approach MG regarding an inspection, making them aware the car has been a total loss, then repaired could possibly mean they won't honour any warranty issues. It might be worth having a "hypothetical" chat about how this is viewed with a dealer you won't be using first, without giving them any specifics about the car!

I'd maybe just take the car in for a usual service once finished, If done well, MG Techs aren't likely to spot it's been repaired. The diagnostics might show an "event" though, depends how sophisticated the cars fault logging is. Let them do this and they'll advise if they find any issues. If they don't, the car will probably get warranty work done if needed, assuming it isn't checked against the total loss register, which I suspect it won't be under usual routine servicing.

I hope your dealings with Copart are going well, I used to find them quite awkward to deal with sometimes, back when I used to rebuild cars as a hobby.

I've sent you a PM.

Last edited:
If it’s categorised the warranty will be void - approaching a dealer or not won’t make a difference.

They’ll check in the event of you trying to make a warranty claim.

If it’s categorised the warranty will be void - approaching a dealer or not won’t make a difference.

They’ll check in the event of you trying to make a warranty claim.
I think you're probably right, but do dealers check for a salvage marker when undertaking servicing or repairs? I would suspect they won't as a matter of course. Do you have information that they actually do, or is it your opinion?

I have a Cat C Citroen van that I’ve had from about a year old - when trying to book it into a main dealer for service they know the warranty is void and quote for the (cheaper, lesser) service they’d give to out of warranty vehicles. I didn’t at any point indicate to them that it was a salvage vehicle, they already know.

I have a Cat C Citroen van that I’ve had from about a year old - when trying to book it into a main dealer for service they know the warranty is void and quote for the (cheaper, lesser) service they’d give to out of warranty vehicles. I didn’t at any point indicate to them that it was a salvage vehicle, they already know.

Well that is pretty good evidence! The whole system is just nuts really. My father in law smashed up his nearly new Skoda Yeti, it was utterly wrecked frontally. Even the gearbox had it's mounts smashed off. Financially it was borderline, but the insurer repaired it. There was no way I'd have ever wanted that thing back after the damage it had! Yet the warranty was just fine as it didn't get a salvage marker, and it did go on to have loads of issues, related to the previous damage as well!!

Yet, a car can be Cat N written off for only cosmetic panel damage due purely to cost of repair, and there you go, no warranty at all!

Hi Randall,

I'm curious to see the damage on the car. Could you post the link to the auction?

Hi All, just heard about a case here involving a Leaf that had a minor accident, causing a bump to the side, which resulted in the airbags popping out. The guy who bought this car found that the battery had deteriorated to 75%. When he started asking around, both the dealership and the insurance company said "if airbags pop, then the battery pack must be replaced", both refusing to compensate for this. So now this unhappy buyer has a car with a bad battery and no way of making anyone responsible for his losses. I wonder if this is the case for all EV's ? Do they lose their warranty if the airbags pop? If that is the case, this is a major issue for us. Replacing the battery pack is very costly.

The vast majority of cars that are subject to a total loss by an insurer lose their warranty.

So just to be on the safe side. If I had an accident with airbags popping and the car needing painting, the insurance company would "have to" buy the car from me, since I wouldn´t want it back after losing the warranty ?

So just to be on the safe side. If I had an accident with airbags popping and the car needing painting, the insurance company would "have to" buy the car from me, since I wouldn´t want it back after losing the warranty ?
No. What you want is irrelevant.

The insurer will make a decision based on how much the repair costs.

If the car’s repaired by the insurer, the warranty isn’t affected.

Last edited:
And, sometimes they do their calculations wrong.

Was involved in an accident some years ago, got rear ended. Total of 5 car pileup. Only a small dent in the rear and the bonnet, and a crocked headlight was the visible damages to my car, so the insurance company sendt it to a garage to get it fixed.
The total ended up just 500€ under what I paid for it a year before, add to that 6 weeks of rental car.......

All the compression zones had collapsed, so I basically got a brand new car back, as they had to rebuild it all. 😂
Good deal for the garage, that's for sure

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom