• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Home charger installation

Tim Green

Established Member
Reaction score
If you have a home charger installation, can you provide a few lines on which one you chose and why you chose it, and does it fulfill your expectations? Thanks.

If you have a home charger installation, can you provide a few lines on which one you chose and why you chose it, and does it fulfill your expectations? Thanks.
My choice was between a Zappi and a Hypervolt - there are others around but these two (at the time) seemed to be popular for smart charging and incorporating solar. I'd heard that the Zappi was potentially having quality and supply issues as they were ramping up production - Hypervolt was getting a good name for customer service. I chose Hypervolt.

Now, as I am at the stage of getting quotes for solar panels and may get a diverter for hot water heating (possibly an Eddi) then a Zappi might have come out on top if choosing again as the software for Zappi/Eddi/Harvi all integrate together really well. Saying that, I'm happy with the Hypervolt.

Edit: I needed a 10m lead which had to be a factor.

Last edited:
SyncEV for me.

I needed a 10m lead and Hypervolt, who supply a 10m tethered lead, provided an electrician who wouldn't talk to me about the install so they lost my business. They chased me for a few weeks as to why I hadn't purchased the Hypervolt then never replied to me when I gave them the reason sadly.

SyncEV were the cheapest quote I had (£550 with grant), electrician was fantastic and listened to all my requirements then exceeded on the delivery.

Note their app isn't the best but they are quick at responding to my questions etc. and things do seem to be improving.

Also looked at OHME Home Pro but was £300 more than SyncEV for me.

I had Pod-Point with my first EV (Hyundai 28kWh Ioniq) because it was free with the car. Emailed photos of consumer box, cable run etc and dug a trench myself to save money. Electrician was very professional and installation done in one morning. Just cost £50 for extra cable to the garage at the bottom of the garden.

To be honest though, I don't use it very often these days now I have the Kona with double the range. I tend to just top up overnight and at weekends with the granny charger.

We have a Rolex unit supplied and fitted by Jorro Ltd from Glasgow. We’ve had it for about two years now and it works well for us. It is set to only charge during our ten hours off peak through the day and informs us on the app of all the details - when it’s charging- when it’s due to be ready - costs etc. plus we can over ride it on the app to charge anytime if we suddenly find we want the car sooner.

I had a Zappie fitted yesterday. May get to use it in June!!
I went for Zappie as I have solar panels, I can now monitor what I'm getting from my panels.
Went through Myenergi and various quotes, and through them got a local firm to install it.

Attachments

• IMG20220221124409.jpg
    IMG20220221124409.jpg
    482.3 KB · Views: 127
I had a Project -EV home charger fitted at the same time as my solar pv/battery system last October. It was only £150 to buy and install and works fine through my phone app. My only criticism is when I tried it on Solar or Solar+ mode it started charging OK at first and then soon began pulling power from the grid, not sure why that happened so wont use that option again unti II figure out how to set that up.

I got a Pod Point fitted free as part of MG's "Peace of mind" deal back in July 2020 and a free Type 2 to Type 2 cable.
I ordered the car one weekend, picked it up the following weekend and the charger was fitted the end of the following week. I had a choice of tethered or not and chose tethered as IMO it's less faffing about when charging at home, not having to get the cable out of the boot.
I do less than 50 miles a week so I use the home charger about once a month to top up and balance my ZS, the rest of my electric obtained free from my once or twice a week visit to Tesco's, while I have some breakfast and do some shopping.
I top up SWMBO's MG5 about every 3 weeks at home.

I dont have solar panel. Bought a wallbox plus for 650 including installation and a RCBO. I prefer a small unit. The government grant is 350 I think they just put charger price up to claim it.

Actually electrician charge 150 for installation, so just buy any changer from shop don't bother with the grant.

I bought an Ohme Pro from Smart Home Charge just a few weeks back.

They had some decent reviews, responded to my messages (which other installers either ignored, or replied with "yeah, give us a call"), had the entire survey/ordering system online and easy to follow, and weren't horrendously expensive.

On the day of install, the fella was bang on time, had a quick chat confirming where it was going, then set to work and was done pretty quick.

No idea how it performs as a charger yet, since my car broke before I could try it out.

We have a rolec for nearly 2 years now never had any problems. Works well with the ev energy app. And Octopus Go tariff.

I bought an untethered Zappi... Great interface and will be good with future plans to add a house battery and solar. The reason for untethered is because we may buy a Leaf for short trips and that enables us to swap between Chademo and the cable for the MG5. It also means we bought a longer 10m length cable so it doesn't matter which position on the drive the car is... even if one is parked behind the other.

I bought an untethered Zappi... Great interface and will be good with future plans to add a house battery and solar. The reason for untethered is because we may buy a Leaf for short trips and that enables us to swap between Chademo and the cable for the MG5. It also means we bought a longer 10m length cable so it doesn't matter which position on the drive the car is... even if one is parked behind the other.
I believe both vehicles use the same type 2 cable for AC home charging, with the Leaf using CHAdeMO for Rapid DC charging. Could be wrong on that.

I have a Rolec system that my friendly electrician put in about 7 years ago - life was different then.

Nothing clever about it. Just does what it says on the tin and charges the car when it is plugged in. I did add a Bluetooth timer relay to it so I can schedule charging.

Had to have a relay changed in the first 6 months under warranty, but has worked flawlessly since then.

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom