Home charger or not?

JPS Renewable energy were at the Fully Charged show and provided me with a battery only quote. Given my usage I doubt that it makes good economic sense for me to store cheap rate energy for use during the peak rate. Payback time would be 8+ years and who knows what will happen to electricity tariffs during this period.
Thank you for the information. I’ll take a look. 👍😀

In theory, a granny charger looks to be an appropriate and safe option for low users.. In theory, plugging into a 13A socket on a ring main should be safe. In practice, electrical sockets deteriorate and screws loosen. Many an electrician will know how often this occurs and even how many new properties seem to be wired on a Friday afternoon. I would be particularly wary of outside sockets which are most likely 'spurs' and not on a ring main. Not only is it much more convenient to have a dedicated wall charger, it is safer too. This comes at a price, but it's only a small percentage of the price of the car.

That's a very fair point and it's one I bear in mind. If I decide to get a wall box that will be part of the equation. I'm lucky to have a garage equipped with four double metal-cased sockets, on a circuit of their own in a system that is so bloody hair-trigger the fuse trips if a light bulb pops or a faulty appliance is plugged in. Every time I have felt the plug of the granny charger during charging it has been stone cold. I was slightly wary of appropriating the much less robust-looking plastic 13A socket in my friend's garage when I was visiting this week, and since there were type 2 chargers only 50 yards away I used them instead. It's certainly a consideration.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 544 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back