Home charger recommendations

I don't think smart meters are tied to a specific company. I have found BG Customer Services to be totally incompetent whereas Octopus seem better. I would suggest you email Octopus with your questions.

Okay I've read all the pages in that forum now and have cancelled with Hive!

Like Dbedford, the BG tariff is actually the cheapest for my usage, so I'm sticking with them as a supplier.

Now - chargers. Recommendations please for 7.4kv tethered options particularly is you know they can install quickly.

Thanks! Oh wow!

Unfortunately I'm in a slightly different position, in that I already have BG smart meters which presumably aren't compatible with Octopus, but of course will be compatible with this, so that issue won't affect me.
Octopus can communicat with SMETS2 meters and some SMETS1 meters so it is highly likely that it will work.

BG give you 5 hours of electricity for the whole house; not sure Octopus does.
Octopus Intelligent gives you 6 hours of off peak for the whole house, in addition it can give you more off peak time under their control, so it's a minimum of 6 hrs with Octopus.

Also, it says you have to already be a customer of Octopus to be able to take their tariff, and I'm BG after my previous supplier went bust.
To get onto intelligent you have transfer to Octopus on a standard tariff and then you change staright awy onto intelligent, there isnt a qualifying period etc.

I've got an online survey with BG today, so will see what they have to say, and if they seem awkward, I'll consider my options again.
Good luck, I hope you dont regret this move

Okay I've read all the pages in that forum now and have cancelled with Hive!
Thats a very good choice.

Like Dbedford, the BG tariff is actually the cheapest for my usage, so I'm sticking with them as a supplier.
Are you really sure on this ? 7.5p kWh is almost unbeatable AFAIK and the peak rate isnt bad at <30p

Now - chargers. Recommendations please for 7.4kv tethered options particularly is you know they can install quickly.
I would suggest you look at Ohme charger, Octopus can install it for you, it the leaves the door open if you'd like to use the Octopus Intelligent tariff at a later date.

We have a podpoint solo. Installed by EdF and cheapest at the time (about 6 months ago). Also comes with 8m lead and connects via internet rather than 3g/4g. Worth looking at if you don't need Intelligent.

Octopus can communicat with SMETS2 meters and some SMETS1 meters so it is highly likely that it will work.

Octopus Intelligent gives you 6 hours of off peak for the whole house, in addition it can give you more off peak time under their control, so it's a minimum of 6 hrs with Octopus.

To get onto intelligent you have transfer to Octopus on a standard tariff and then you change staright awy onto intelligent, there isnt a qualifying period etc.

Good luck, I hope you dont regret this move
I had no idea you could move straight over. Okay thanks for all this. I'll reconsider my options!

To be honest, there was a recommendation on here plus another at work. Please don't tell me there's another thread on Podpoint installation disasters!🫣

Also, the Podpoint came top in this survey The top 3 home chargers
A Pod-Point was supplied free with my first EV, Ioniq 28kWh, and installed for free with the gorenment grant. It's just a dumb charger, but it works fine and I set schedules in the car.

I had a 2 week wait, and the installation was fine. I sent photos of where I wanted it installing and there was quite a long cable run to the garage. I dug the foot deep trench myself to save money and paid £50 for the extra cable. All in all, a bit of a bargain. :)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom