Home Chargers

JCT

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
What home chargers are people using to charge their MG5EV Trophy Long Range?

I've got the SE rather than Trophy but have Ohme Pro and use it with Intelligent Octopus and works well. 20-80% charge overnight costing about £3

Zappi, as we have solar + batteries. They're OK as long as you don't put them anywhere near sunshine.

When I got my MG5 SR I started with the supplied granny until I got an Ohme original, I then had solar installed so gotva Zappi. I have the Ohme still to get Intelligent Octopus at 7.5p for 6 hours overnight.

When I got my MG5 SR I started with the supplied granny until I got an Ohme original, I then had solar installed so gotva Zappi. I have the Ohme still to get Intelligent Octopus at 7.5p for 6 hours overnight.
Is the Zappi reliable and compatable with your MG5 or are there some issues?

Is the Zappi reliable and compatable with your MG5 or are there some issues?
No issues with the Zappi or the Ohme.
Set the timer on the app and plug it in.
Note that mine is a pre-facelift.

Charging my pre-facelift with an EO Mini Pro 2.

It works, but the app is stupidly basic and there are much better chargers on the market these days.

Charging my pre-facelift with an EO Mini Pro 2.

It works, but the app is stupidly basic and there are much better chargers on the market these days.
If you wasn't aware the EV.energy app works with the EO, there is an up to 5 minute delay (seems its a 5 minute poll). It may have features you prefer.

If you wasn't aware the EV.energy app works with the EO, there is an up to 5 minute delay (seems its a 5 minute poll). It may have features you prefer.
Yeh I’m actually using it for agile, it mostly works but occasionally seems to have the wrong prices. Also occasionally the charger misses a checkin so it’s more than 5minutes

Podpoint SOLO3 here. Very basic scheduling and since I have the prelift LR it never tells me the SOC on the app. I just have to guesstimate and charge accordingly. Working well so far and does the job really. Long 5m cable with a cradle to hang the cable so all good. Cost me about £1k with installation from a local ev engineer

I have a Zappi ich is able to charge me pre-FL LR at 7 KwH so happy with that.

What home chargers are people using to charge their MG5EV Trophy Long Range?
In my view it boils down to two wallboxes.

If you want to use Octopus Intelligent (the cheapest tariff by quite a way), you have to go with an Ohme Pro wallbox because MG isn't directly compatible with Octopus Intelligent but the wallbox is.

If you have or plan to get solar PV / Battery then MyEnergi Zappi is a strong contender, solar integration is brilliant but they havent finished the Octopus Intelligent integration yet, it is however in BETA testing I'm led to believe.

I would suggest you avoid wallboxes that rely on a connection back to a manufacturers server such as Hive and a few more, youre at their mercy and as many users have found out, if the manufacturer goes under, your wallbox stops working.

In my view it boils down to two wallboxes.

If you want to use Octopus Intelligent (the cheapest tariff by quite a way), you have to go with an Ohme Pro wallbox because MG isn't directly compatible with Octopus Intelligent but the wallbox is.

If you have or plan to get solar PV / Battery then MyEnergi Zappi is a strong contender, solar integration is brilliant but they havent finished the Octopus Intelligent integration yet, it is however in BETA testing I'm led to believe.

I would suggest you avoid wallboxes that rely on a connection back to a manufacturers server such as Hive and a few more, youre at their mercy and as many users have found out, if the manufacturer goes under, your wallbox stops working.
Doesn't have to be an Ohme Pro, I'm using a commando cable with IO and no problems at all.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom