• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Home charging help Bp Chargemaster MG ZS EV

SteeveeLeevee

Established Member
Reaction score
This may have been covered but etc.
I have the oval BP Chargemaster 7KW home charger and the Chargevision App for scheduled charging.
I can get the car to instant charge (when locking the car), I cannot get it to wait for the schedule time to arrive before either charging or failing to charge. I don't know if it's the charger, the App or the car software.
The App history is showing charge usage, so that means it is connected to the charger.
Can anyone help please?

Phone your dealer and make sure the Charger fix has been done, think it came out in Jan or Feb.

They say it has been done before delivery (Saturday before lockdown).

Is there a specific order of doing things?

Sorry for the late response but I only just joined the forum. Did you get anywhere with this?

I too have a BP Chargemaster home charger that works fine on immediate charge but wont start on a scheduled charge, although it will stop on the schedule. The vehicle software was fully updated in July and I'm now on unit number three waiting for it to register on the BP system so that I can test it but not holding my breath.

Any suggestions please?

Further background

• The vehicle was brought up to the latest software level in July 2020.
  • The vehicle charges without problems on all public chargers that we have tried and at home on the Chargemaster unit, without using a schedule.
  • The schedule is currently set to commence at 00:15 and to finish at 08:00 Mon – Sun.
  • If a schedule is set and the vehicle is connected before the start time, the vehicle indicates that it is plugged in but not charging. Waiting until after the schedule start time has passed, the vehicle does not commence charging. In this state, before or after the schedule start time, the Chargemaster App and Chargevision website do not recognise that the vehicle is connected.
  • If I unlock and relock the vehicle or reset the Chargemaster unit (power off/on) after the scheduled start time, charging will start and continue until the vehicle is fully charged or the schedule end time is reached. The schedule end time appears to be recognised.
  • If I unlock and relock the vehicle or reset the Chargemaster unit (power off/on) before the schedule is due to start, charging does not commence. It is recognising that the schedule start time has not arrived.
  • If I connect the vehicle after the scheduled start time, the vehicle will commence charging immediately. The Chargemaster unit is recognising that it is within the scheduled charging time.
  • Once charging has commenced, I have monitored the App and notice that Chargemaster unit seems to update the server about every 5 minutes. Looking at the historical charge data on the Chargevision website, it seems to store/display 15 minute update intervals. This indicates to me that the communication between the Chargemaster unit and the server is adequate and consistent. The App and website also show that the Vehicle is connected, after charging has commenced, until it is disconnected.
  • Pressing the Charge Now (schedule override) button on the Chargevision website, returns the an error message and has no effect on the Charger status.

I've figured out a couple of things with the help of various people on here and Facebook

• The car goes into a deep sleep if you plug the car in more than 10 hours from the scheduled wake up time
  • Even with the latest updates apparently if you are trying to go for a On/Off/On/Off charge, like some agile tariffs the car will wake up for the first charge but then will apparently go in to some kind of "Zombie Mode" and will refuse to wake up again for the next batch of charging. I found this out with my Rolec charger with CO2 saving enabled, Charge started at 10pm, stopped at 1am (due to CO2 saving) then was supposed to start again at 2am, but failed to wake up.
  • There was a "work around" with Rolec/MG regarding having a trickle charge applied from the earliest models to keep them awake to schedule charge, but as mentioned above you might not need a trickle charge if you've had the update from around the start of the year

I have the latest eZS updates and I have BP Chargemaster box, I was going to reply that I have no issues with timed charging but after testing it’s obviously broken.

I plugged my car in this morning outside of my schedule and it started charging which is not what I want at peak.

the app and website do not report if my car is plugged in. If I click charge now it says ‘no Current charge to override.’ My charges from 7am this morning are not showing on app/website.

finally, I looked at my charging schedule and the one time I thought it woke up and worked, it actually started at 9:43pm.

I don’t charge at home because I get free electric elsewhere, but it looks like I have the same problem.

Sorry for the late response but I only just joined the forum. Did you get anywhere with this?

I too have a BP Chargemaster home charger that works fine on immediate charge but wont start on a scheduled charge, although it will stop on the schedule. The vehicle software was fully updated in July and I'm now on unit number three waiting for it to register on the BP system so that I can test it but not holding my breath.

Any suggestions please?

Further background

• The vehicle charges without problems on all public chargers that we have tried and at home on the Chargemaster unit, without using a schedule.
  • The schedule is currently set to commence at 00:15 and to finish at 08:00 Mon – Sun.
  • If a schedule is set and the vehicle is connected before the start time, the vehicle indicates that it is plugged in but not charging. Waiting until after the schedule start time has passed, the vehicle does not commence charging. In this state, before or after the schedule start time, the Chargemaster App and Chargevision website do not recognise that the vehicle is connected.
  • If I unlock and relock the vehicle or reset the Chargemaster unit (power off/on) after the scheduled start time, charging will start and continue until the vehicle is fully charged or the schedule end time is reached. The schedule end time appears to be recognised.
  • If I unlock and relock the vehicle or reset the Chargemaster unit (power off/on) before the schedule is due to start, charging does not commence. It is recognising that the schedule start time has not arrived.
  • If I connect the vehicle after the scheduled start time, the vehicle will commence charging immediately. The Chargemaster unit is recognising that it is within the scheduled charging time.
  • Once charging has commenced, I have monitored the App and notice that Chargemaster unit seems to update the server about every 5 minutes. Looking at the historical charge data on the Chargevision website, it seems to store/display 15 minute update intervals. This indicates to me that the communication between the Chargemaster unit and the server is adequate and consistent. The App and website also show that the Vehicle is connected, after charging has commenced, until it is disconnected.
  • Pressing the Charge Now (schedule override) button on the Chargevision website, returns the an error message and has no effect on the Charger status.
Hi Graham,

I tried again this week to timer charge, (fortunately I do not have to rely on the timer as I am retired and this is my wife's car so it's just a local runaround, shopping, grandkids etc). I have a Tesla model 3 SR+ on which the timer works perfectly.

The last time we had the bong (comfort 2) update was in July, I understand that there is a BMS recall/update in August, that we have not heard about from our dealer.

I do not charge at home as I am one of "free charging" gang but I did ask an EV expert who also happens to work for MG and he advised that the delayed charge function works from 90secs after an instruction to charge (ie the maximum time it takes for the ZS EV on board system to reset) to infinite.
So the only time apparently it may have problems is if it receives conflicting instructions within 90 seconds of eachother. In the opinion of this expert one should not have any problem with any of the electric tarrif regimes in the UK as they update very 30 mins so instructions to the car will always be 30mins or more apart.
As for the issue of the ZS EV not being able to wake up after 10 hours of being idle, I have checked that my self using a granny charger on a time socket set to start 12 hours after the ZS EV was plugged in and it worked perfectly.
There are however several complaints about charging still so I guess all those with such problems would have to bring their issues up with their dealerships and MG and continue to press the issue and till it is resolved.

I have the latest eZS updates and I have BP Chargemaster box, I was going to reply that I have no issues with timed charging but after testing it’s obviously broken.

I plugged my car in this morning outside of my schedule and it started charging which is not what I want at peak.

the app and website do not report if my car is plugged in. If I click charge now it says ‘no Current charge to override.’ My charges from 7am this morning are not showing on app/website.

finally, I looked at my charging schedule and the one time I thought it woke up and worked, it actually started at 9:43pm.

I don’t charge at home because I get free electric elsewhere, but it looks like I have the same problem.
Hello Lee Graham,

I have further 'news', I contacted my local dealer and again pressed the point of no timer charging on my ZS ev.

They have investigated their system and insist that all the updates that may relate to charging have been done back in July (when the Bongs were done), I asked about the BMS update that was mentioned on forums that came out in August and was told that this is a 'service item' and was not urgent and would be done with my next service. If I wanted this done they would book me in and do it for me, (no cost).
I then asked about the update that allows charging with the doors unlocked, that brought a fresh response, they would now offer the August BMS update and at the same time do a VDS report on the whole vehicle and send it to MG who would then approve, or not, the release of a different update that would cure my charging problem. This update would cost ME half hour of billable time.

I get the impression that something is known higher up the chain that we are not privy to. Why should it cost me for a 'BUG' fix to put the car into the condition that it should have been in when new?

It shouldn’t and I would strongly press that point home....and if needed email MG head office directly.

Any suggestions please?

Further background

I’ve had the same problems with my charger it will not work through the app on a schedule. Contacted by pulse after numerous attempts I finally got them to fit a timer to my system free of charge. The reason I was given is that my WiFi signal is not strong enough in my area. What a load of rubbish There’s nothing wrong with my WiFi it’s the app that’s the problem it doesn’t work properly. Good luck it took me 5 months to get the timer fitted not the best company to deal with.

I know from experience with other devices using Wi-fi that some ISPs can cause problems for badly written apps. My home battery controller was a devil to get working on my Wi-fi & I’m with BT. I insisted they solve the problem as if I ever had to replace my router then any special config used to make it work would be lost. After a bit of huffing & puffing they complied & I paid them!

Since my last report here there has been much communication between myself and their hardware technical guy (singular). They won’t admit to it but they have made some software changes and now, providing you have communication ( the unit has an EE sim in it and uses 3G not WiFi, so that is misinformation from Pulse) the charger is now working correctly unless I plug the car in more than 10 hours before the schedule starts.

Unfortunately I have had some power cuts and unit lock ups recently so I can’t be more specific but there is hope. I understand they are also bringing out some new units (in March?) that use Vodafone instead of EE but have no confirmation of this.

If you have bad communication the unit will start (and continue) charging immediately the car is connected. Also the website won’t be able to display the charge graphs, because they rely on the 10 minute polling from the unit to update the charge rate. The software still has a long way to go...

If the timer meets your requirements then problem solved. Otherwise, I am still hopeful that they will re-recruit the intern that wrote the software and things can still get better.

Podpoint home chargers have a very similar issue - they use a connection to your home wifi and an app connected to their server. Podpoint keep blaming the wifi signal for issues recording data on a timed charge.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom