Home charging maximum rate

Tigger

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
My home charger is a 7kw Pod Point Solo 3. When charging my MG4 Trophy, my rate of charge is usually 6.1-6.2kw as recorded by the iSmart app.

Is this the maximum that can be achieved on the MG4, or can more be achieved with other chargers? The absolute maximum I have ever seen was 6.32kw.

My home charger is a 7kw Pod Point Solo 3. When charging my MG4 Trophy, my rate of charge is usually 6.1-6.2kw as recorded by the iSmart app.

Is this the maximum that can be achieved on the MG4, or can more be achieved with other chargers? The absolute maximum I have ever seen was 6.32kw.
With a Zappi, mine seems to top out at 7.2kw. I have heard of some being restricted back slightly if the home fuse is not 100amp, but I assume your installer upgraded that if it was required at the time.

I have a Wallbox Pulsar Plus. I usually see 6.3kW in the iSMART app, and 6.8kW in the Wallbox app. (So 92% efficiency). I'll need to charge again in the next couple of days so I'll see if the charging improves with the warmer temperatures).

Edit: I'm not expecting efficiency to improve, but the rate might.

The maximum AC charge you can use is 11kWh on an LR or Trophy from a 3-phase charger (the SE is less I believe) the car will accept about 10kWh of this into the battery. DC fast charge up to 135kWh on the LR and Trophy.

With a Zappi, mine seems to top out at 7.2kw.
Is 7.2kw what the Zappi says, or what the iSmart app says? They should be different (see siteguru's post).

Edit: Spotted that your car is not an MG, so iSmart app is irrelevant. Change that to what the car says it is achieving.

Is 7.2kw what the Zappi says, or what the iSmart app says? They should be different (see siteguru's post).

Edit: Spotted that your car is not an MG, so iSmart app is irrelevant. Change that to what the car says it is achieving.
My car is an MG4 Trophy, just not updated my profile since. It's what Zappi says on the app.

We have the easy charger 7kw and yes on the app it also says 6.1kw charging rate I did wonder why it wasn't 7kw now I see that seems to be the norm. we have the se Sr

About 6.2 is the most I’ve seen on my 7KW podpoint as well.
Not that I check every charge, every time.

Attachments

• 055373CB-ACD1-4CA8-838B-A999D693CFC9.png
    055373CB-ACD1-4CA8-838B-A999D693CFC9.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 88
Mine shows 7.2/71 in the zappi app but shows 6.84 in the ismart app. Will take a screenshot for next time I I charge.

Could the charge rate be affected by electric usage in the house? Eg running a dishwasher, washing machine and electric heating at the same time might restrict power available to the car charger. My charge point installer said that power to the house would always be prioritised over power to the car.

Your car shows the charge rate at the point of AC/DC conversion, your EV charger shows the kW going into it the process is only between 80-90% efficient based on air temp, cable quality and general loses due to the nature of electricity at high load producing heat which is lost energy.

Also depending on your model the SR is only capable of 6.6kW max, the LR is 7kW 1ph Max.

And as said above if your have load limiting turned in this will make a difference.

I have our pod point turned down from 7.2kW to 6kW internally as to reduce heating loses to make it more efficient

Interesting point. Do you think limiting the charge will reduce the losses? Have you verified that with the differences between. The charger and car between both modes?

Interesting point. Do you think limiting the charge will reduce the losses? Have you verified that with the differences between. The charger and car between both modes?
Reduces heat production in cable due to resistance.

At 6kW I get 90% avg efficiency compared to 7.2kW i get 82% avg efficiency these were taken over a few weeks measuring via vehicle and clamp meters.

Obviously the car charges slower but I'm not wasting as much energy heating various parts of the circuit up

A simple rule is volts x amps = watts.
Most UK homes voltage will vary from 240v to sometimes below 220v. For example 230v x 30a = 6.9kw.
With losses I find that the on board charger will pull about 6.7kw on my home Podpoint wall box.

A simple rule is volts x amps = watts.
Most UK homes voltage will vary from 240v to sometimes below 220v. For example 230v x 30a = 6.9kw.
With losses I find that the on board charger will pull about 6.7kw on my home Podpoint wall box.
In basic form yes but doesn't take into account Volt drop which will differ for each individual.

In basic form yes but doesn't take into account Volt drop which will differ for each individual.
Isn’t that what I said that voltage will vary? Or do you mean something else?
‘Most UK homes voltage will vary from 240v to sometimes below 220v’

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 510 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel