Home charging

That seems a good idea, however is flawed insomuch that the car is unable to set the charge rate - which it will do when balancing. It’s what the little box in the granny cable does. One side talks to the car, the other basically switches the supply on and off to give the correct average rate required by the car. In tech terms it controls the mark/space ratio (on to off) to get the required average. The granny cable is approved/certified, as are the type 2 chargers - the same isn’t the case with a home made cable. All IMO of course, but worthy of consideration nonetheless.

Rob
Thanks Rob I was perhaps not as clear as I could have been, what I meant was install a commando socket on a 32amp supply with the appropriate regulated cable fitted at one end with a commando plug and type 2 the other end including the regulator box. I can get a 32amp commando plug fully fitted for £250 the appropriate cable for £250 making a total of £500 and giving me the 7kw charging I require. As I don't have dedicated parking a fully installed smart metre will cost me around the £1000 mark so a saving of £500. I appreciate it will not be a smart charger and I will not have the benefit of off peak electricity. However my mileage is going to be very low in general I do less than 1000 miles a year so do not anticipate charging more than a couple of times a month.

That is taking the Ohme route, it's what I've got.
I effectively have a dedicated circuit with a 32amp commando socket, I use the commando plug version of the Ohme in it.

Technically this setup isn't compliant/supposed to be used for a permanent EV charging solution, as it doesn't have the necessary earthing requirements.....

If you're not on a two tier electric rate, then I can't see the point in a 7kW charging solution, the granny charger can add about 22kWh in 10 hours.
Unless you're doing over 100 miles on consecutive days, there's enough time to get you recharged with the granny.
I fully agree with you having read up on the ohme lead it actually has a built in 'DC' fault detection system to prevent 'DC' current being fed back into the 'AC' which would likely be caused by and earth fault. As such that lead is actually compliant with both the current electrical and building regs, there are some others that have the same feature. As an addition my electrician will be installing and earthing rod at the the point of the socket installation. As I understand it a smart charger is no more than a regulator with inbuilt timer and wifi connectivity, personally I am not interested in knowing how much I charged, at what time, at what rate, for what cost. When I had my diesel car I just went filled it up and drove it.

My situation is, I only do 40-50 miles a week, one or two visits to the local free Tesco chargers a week and a balance charge once a month.
An ideal situation for not needing a 7kW home charger and to use the granny only.
With my usage, I would not have bothered with a home charger had it not been included in the MG "Peace of mind" deal last July.
I wouldn't go to the expense of having any other type of charging system installed, just use the granny.
what wall point was included in your deal?

That is taking the Ohme route, it's what I've got.
I effectively have a dedicated circuit with a 32amp commando socket, I use the commando plug version of the Ohme in it.

Technically this setup isn't compliant/supposed to be used for a permanent EV charging solution, as it doesn't have the necessary earthing requirements.....

If you're not on a two tier electric rate, then I can't see the point in a 7kW charging solution, the granny charger can add about 22kWh in 10 hours.
Unless you're doing over 100 miles on consecutive days, there's enough time to get you recharged with the granny.
Thanks Rob I was perhaps not as clear as I could have been, what I meant was install a commando socket on a 32amp supply with the appropriate regulated cable fitted at one end with a commando plug and type 2 the other end including the regulator box. I can get a 32amp commando plug fully fitted for £250 the appropriate cable for £250 making a total of £500 and giving me the 7kw charging I require. As I don't have dedicated parking a fully installed smart metre will cost me around the £1000 mark so a saving of £500. I appreciate it will not be a smart charger and I will not have the benefit of off peak electricity. However my mileage is going to be very low in general I do less than 1000 miles a year so do not anticipate charging more than a couple of times a month.
👍

what wall point was included in your deal?
Pod Point, it was during the Covid restrictions last July, so I sent them some pictures of my drive and my consumer unit and meter and it's position, filled in the online forms, sent them a copy of the invoice/order form for the car and it was installed a week later.

I fully agree with you having read up on the ohme lead it actually has a built in 'DC' fault detection system to prevent 'DC' current being fed back into the 'AC' which would likely be caused by and earth fault. As such that lead is actually compliant with both the current electrical and building regs, there are some others that have the same feature. As an addition my electrician will be installing and earthing rod at the the point of the socket installation. As I understand it a smart charger is no more than a regulator with inbuilt timer and wifi connectivity, personally I am not interested in knowing how much I charged, at what time, at what rate, for what cost. When I had my diesel car I just went filled it up and drove it.
I still didn't think it was totally compliant with the permanent EV charger regulations.
However, it is technically a removable device etc so can be used as it is plugged into a standard commando socket arrangement.

To be honest, I originally had my Ohme plugged into commando socket etc, but then thought what is the point in having this big socket/plug on the outside of my house, so I have actually removed the commando socket/plug and just got them connected in a suitable terminal connector etc. (If I sold the house etc I'd put the commando socket back first).

The "smart charger" terminology is a marketing thing really if you ask me. How smart is "smart"!!? All you probably need is timer functionality, and then that's only if you have got a 2 rate electricity supply otherwise it's pointless. The Ohme for example doesn't really give you much data that I'd call smart, other units do give more "smart!" data though.

I've got to say thought regarding the article you mention, if someone is not intending to change to a two tier electric rate ie peak/off peak and you are likely to only be charging your car a couple of times a month, then there isn't really any need for a 32Amp/7kW charger.
Just using a granny charger in an existing 3pin (10amp) supply is 99.9% sufficient in these circumstances, at zero additional cost.
If someone needs a new 13amp socket fitting outside etc to be able to use granny charger and are paying an electrician to do the work etc; if a totally new circuit is being installed it makes sense to have both an external 32amp commando socket & 13amp socket fitted; if it's just being spurred etc off of an existing circuit then just an external 13amp socket is fitted.

What’s the best home charging for an MGEV which you can schedule charging
Only a fraction more than the charger for my electric bike.

Just took delivery of our near-new ZS EV yesterday from Cazoo, which was an amazing and highly-recommended experience! The car came with the rather short MG granny charger, plus a Type 2 cable approx 5m.

Reading about granny chargers etc. has made me nervous about my old house electrics.

The granny charger didn't reach from the nearest outlet all the way to the car, and after a quick web search regarding extension cables that turned up a gallery of photos of melted wires, I thought better of it and decided to take the car over to the nearby public charger at the local supermarket, to be sure I didn't blow everything up on the first day.

Can anyone provide a bit of guidance, on what to look out for in terms of connecting to home electrics, in particular how to overcome the distance-between-plug-and-car issue?

I'm currently looking at the plethora of home charging options, but it'll be a while before I can schedule an install.

Just took delivery of our near-new ZS EV yesterday from Cazoo, which was an amazing and highly-recommended experience! The car came with the rather short MG granny charger, plus a Type 2 cable approx 5m.

Reading about granny chargers etc. has made me nervous about my old house electrics.

The granny charger didn't reach from the nearest outlet all the way to the car, and after a quick web search regarding extension cables that turned up a gallery of photos of melted wires, I thought better of it and decided to take the car over to the nearby public charger at the local supermarket, to be sure I didn't blow everything up on the first day.

Can anyone provide a bit of guidance, on what to look out for in terms of connecting to home electrics, in particular how to overcome the distance-between-plug-and-car issue?

I'm currently looking at the plethora of home charging options, but it'll be a while before I can schedule an install.
Just get a good quality extension cable that is properly rated at 13amps (make sure it is fully unwound when using it).

This is an interesting Video - from about 6 minutes in, he shows some waterproof extension cables (and other stuff that’s maybe less relevant to you) that might be worth investigating

Hi ecovictor like you I was looking at all sorts of charging options as I do not drive much and the only local. Like you the supplied granny charger would not reach my car where it is parked. After a bit of research for the time being I opted for a Teison 10mtr 13amp switchable 6amp to 13amp three pin plug granny charger purchased from a company called Third Rock for £241. Used it the other day for the first time no problems and no extension leads I do have the benefit of an outdoor socket that I use.

Hi ecovictor like you I was looking at all sorts of charging options as I do not drive much and the only local. Like you the supplied granny charger would not reach my car where it is parked. After a bit of research for the time being I opted for a Teison 10mtr 13amp switchable 6amp to 13amp three pin plug granny charger purchased from a company called Third Rock for £241. Used it the other day for the first time no problems and no extension leads I do have the benefit of an outdoor socket that I use.

As has been stated above, a 13amp rated extension lead (not all are 13amp, quite few are only 10amp) will be fine.
I bought and have used this with no problem Masterplug Pro-XT Weatherproof Trailing Socket High Visibility Cable - 10m 13A | Wickes.co.uk

I believe others have bought this Masterplug Weatherproof Garden Tidy Extension Lead - 15m 13A | Wickes.co.uk

Anything similar will do, the enclosed connecter is useful if it rains I guess but if you can cover the socket where you plug in the granny with a box or sit it under the car will work just as well.

I use one of the above leads from Wickes. They are both the same unit at the waterproof end, and I found I had to trim the rubber in the opening, as the thickness of the granny lead wouldn't let the unit stay shut otherwise. With a bit of trimming it works fine.

Thanks, Rob I was perhaps not as clear as I could have been, what I meant was to install a commando socket on a 32amp supply with the appropriate regulated cable fitted at one end with a commando plug and type 2 at the other end including the regulator box. I can get a 32amp commando plug fully fitted for £250 the appropriate cable for £250 making a total of £500 and giving me the 7kw charging I require. As I don't have dedicated parking a fully installed smart metre will cost me around the £1000 mark so a saving of £500. I appreciate it will not be a smart charger and I will not have the benefit of off-peak electricity. However, my mileage is going to be very low in general I do less than 1000 miles a year so do not anticipate charging more than a couple of times a month.
Check out octopus, their customers can get a discounted smart lead with a commando plug for 199.00, this would give you access to smart rates with the app. for the lead if you have a smart meter fitted.

Like a lot of things in the EV world it's "Horse's for Course's", I've been using the Granny charger for over a year now with no problems at all. Fortunately I have Solar Panels fitted and so far I've spent about £130.00 for a years motoring. On a nice sunny day it works out at about 1 to 1.5 pence a mile. Having said that Fast Chargers on the road have cost me about the same (£130.00). Still I think that's not too bad and no where near the price of a Home Charger, which because the car was second hand I wasn't entitled to. ( According to the Dealer, Who also didn't supply a Type 2 lead.)

Like a lot of things in the EV world it's "Horse's for Course's", I've been using the Granny charger for over a year now with no problems at all. Fortunately I have Solar Panels fitted and so far I've spent about £130.00 for a years motoring. On a nice sunny day it works out at about 1 to 1.5 pence a mile. Having said that Fast Chargers on the road have cost me about the same (£130.00). Still I think that's not too bad and no where near the price of a Home Charger, which because the car was second hand I wasn't entitled to. ( According to the Dealer, Who also didn't supply a Type 2 lead.)
I bought a brand new one and did not get a charger or lead, think they only did that when the cars were selling at full price🤔

I believe you are still entitled to the grant for a second hand car, but you are only entitled to the grant once.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom