Home Storage Battery

ChrisT

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Another non car question.

Does anyone have solar panels and a home storage battery?.

I am thinking of investing 4.5k in a GivEnergy 8kw system linked to solar in order to save on bills.

Does anyone have any experience on if savings are possible and how much bills can be reduced by.

Many thanks.

Have look at EVM on YouTube as he covers the subject well.

Have look at EVM on YouTube as he covers the subject well.
Thanks I have seen his and others You Tube vids. Just seeing if anyone else has any real world experience. Having said that I am struggling to see any overnight cheap rate tariffs as providers have pulled them.

I am thinking of investing 4.5k in a GivEnergy 8kw system linked to solar in order to save on bills.

Does anyone have any experience on if savings are possible and how much bills can be reduced by.

Many thanks.
We have a GivEnergy home storage system, which comprises of 2x 5.2kw batteries and a hybrid inverter. 7.2kw PV array, Zappi & an Eddi, all installed by Deege Solar. I have recently reduced our d/d with Octopus to £25/month, as we had built up a substantial credit. GivEnergy have great customer support. The system was installed May 2021, with no regrets, especially considering the recent price increases.

Just received our yearly report (bearing in mind system installed May 2021)

Total Energy Consumed 4454.20 kWh

Solar Energy Generated 3678.50 kWh

Solar Energy Consumed 2682.40 kWh

Solar Energy Exported 996.10 kWh

Consumed From Solar Directly 1700.20 kWh

Consumed From Stored Energy 1798.40 kWh

CO2 Saved 4481.22 kg

We have a GivEnergy home storage system, which comprises of 2x 5.2kw batteries and a hybrid inverter. 7.2kw PV array, Zappi & an Eddi, all installed by Deege Solar. I have recently reduced our d/d with Octopus to £25/month, as we had built up a substantial credit. GivEnergy have great customer support. The system was installed May 2021, with no regrets, especially considering the recent price increases.

CO2 Saved 4481.22 kg
Perfect exactly what I was hoping someone would reply with. Thank you.

CO2 Saved 4481.22 kg
I like the look of the GivEnergy systems after seeing them on the Electric Van Man YouTube channel

Plan for 2022 is get my home energy report renewed and then invest in panels and GivEnergy system using Scottish Government 0% loans.

I’ve ordered a 4.2kw solar & 7.2kw battery system from Moixa for just over £9k fully installed. Picked Moixa as their system is a smart battery and they pay you to use it (even though most users have never had system used) and if you do this they also extend warranty of battery and inverter for as long as your with them. They do a battery only system too (bit like Tesla power wall).

I calculated a battery only solution would reduce my electricity bills by at least 75%. I only went solar + battery when I looked at funding as I can get 0% finance for both in Scotland, but would have had to pay for battery myself.

Moixa battery alone solution - 7.2kw battery £5,250 Inc vat and install, (9.6kw for £6,250). Mention me as a referal and you should get £200 off these prices.

We were intending to have solar panels installed about April/May time but on our energy bill, its not the electric that’s the major culprit, it’s the gas! Unfortunately, I can’t drill a borehole and extract it myself! Now if that cowboy Putin can reduce the tension in Eastern Europe, open up the other gas pipe and be a good boy for once, we might see gas prices drop right down! And pigs might fly!

Many thanks.

I’ve ordered a 4.2kw solar & 7.2kw battery system from Moixa for just over £9k fully installed. Picked Moixa as their system is a smart battery and they pay you to use it (even though most users have never had system used) and if you do this they also extend warranty of battery and inverter for as long as your with them. They do a battery only system too (bit like Tesla power wall).

I calculated a battery only solution would reduce my electricity bills by at least 75%. I only went solar + battery when I looked at funding as I can get 0% finance for both in Scotland, but would have had to pay for battery myself.

Moixa battery alone solution - 7.2kw battery £5,250 Inc vat and install, (9.6kw for £6,250). Mention me as a referal and you should get £200 off these prices.

I think I need to move to Scotland!

Just wondering how you worked out the 75% saving on the battery only option.

I think I need to move to Scotland!

Just wondering how you worked out the 75% saving on the battery only option.
My average usage was about 8KWh per day. Standard Price per KWh was 20p so if I consumed all power at that price it would be £1.60 per day, £584 pa (plus standing charge of about 20p per day).

I sized my battery to take almost all of my load so if it charges during off-peak @ say 5p per KWh it works out at 40p per day or £146 pa (plus standing charge of about 20p per day).

My average usage was about 8KWh per day. Standard Price per KWh was 20p so if I consumed all power at that price it would be £1.60 per day, £584 pa (plus standing charge of about 20p per day).

I sized my battery to take almost all of my load so if it charges during off-peak @ say 5p per KWh it works out at 40p per day or £146 pa (plus standing charge of about 20p per day).
Very interesting thanks for those details I must have a look into that now that I’ve seen your numbers.

Including standing charges that is £0.60p per day with battery and £1.80 without. A saving of 67%. Not to be sneezed at.
What is the payback timescale on that ?

Including standing charges that is £0.60p per day with battery and £1.80 without. A saving of 67%. Not to be sneezed at.
What is the payback timescale on that ?
I’m actually going with a Solar & Battery solution as battery alone is full VAT whereas solar + battery is reduced VAT and in Scotland I can get 0% funding if I do both but would have to have paid for battery solution myself.

My bundle is 4.2kw Solar & 7.2kw battery for £9k. Means payback is significantly greater than 10 years, however I have just st added an EV which will increase consumption significantly and with the ever increasing price for electricity I’m protecting myself from price rises. And of course I’m doing my bit for the planet 😎

I reckon it would take around 30 years to recover the cost of a battery installation so bear in mind that for around 4 months of the year there is very little solar generation and the Octopus Go 5p off peak is unlikely to last either. Best option for me was installing an MyEnergi Eddi to heat my hot water instead. As it stands between that and 2 EVs I put virtually nothing back into the grid hence battery option is of no use. Do your own sums carefully before committing. .

I have a 4kW solar with 18kWh storage and 5 kW inverter. If I was starting again I'd go for a higher power inverter, because with increased energy usage any load exceeding the 5kW is drawn from the grid e.g. charging the car and cooking with oven and rings etc. During winter, (Oct-Mar. mostly), I top up storage and charge the car at the cheap rate. It's difficult to qualify the cost difference but I estimate at least 40% annual savings on my previous electricity usage. In the summer I use very little grid but winter solar performance is poor and depends so much on orientation and panel efficiency. Mine are good but face SE at a roof angle of 25°, both not favourable for winter sun, when it occurs!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom