How I Nearly Leased an MG5

Sjr606

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi all,

I've been quiet on here while I've awaited my car to arrive. But I've been doing my research finding out everything I could about the car and the differences in the 4 models.

6 weeks ago I signed a lease for a MG5 Excite Long Range - Silver, with a delivery date of yesterday. As it was a great deal, 317 a month for 20k miles, no deposit other than the first months payment, then 47 more months. And it was a fast delivery. This is vanarama with lease plan

So yesterday the day arrived. I've never had an electric car or a new car before so understandably was very excited.

The delivery drivers show up and straight away I can see the cars got roof bars, so I think that's not right, have they sent me an exclusive instead of an excite? Which wouldn't be the end of the world. That thought was in my head for about a second before I thought 'I bet its a standard range model' so the delivery truck gets closer and low and behold the mg pilot radar in the front grill isn't there.

Straight away I tell the bloke to not even bother taking it off the trailer because its wrong and I'm not having it. He's fine with that, he rings his boss who asks me if I want it, I say no. I ring vanarama and tell them the wrong cars been sent. They agree to send that car back and sort it out.

I speak to vanarama again who told me that some how 2 cars have been assigned to my name and the right one was sat somewhere. I was a little dubious but if that was the case then whatever, it will get sorted.

The day goes on and I'm not hearing anything from them and getting increasingly concerned that this mystery excite doesn't exist.

At 6pm I get a call to say that the excite I originally ordered had been sent to someone else so there's no car coming, they said they didn't know what had happened and they didn't know what was going to be done to sort it but his manager would ring me the next morning (today) he did suggest I had the one from yesterday with some compensation which I said no too.

Obviously I was rather pissed off about all this but kept my cool with them.

Today the manager rang me this morning and said I could have the standard range exclusive for 43 pounds more a month, but not the one from yesterday because that's gone so it would be six weeks. I obviously said no. 43 quid more a month for a car I don't want. No thanks

His other option was 'I can try and get you something to drive in the mean time while you wait for the one you want but I'm not promising anything'

Ive already sold my previous car the day before taking delivery, so currently I've got nothing. No way to get to work, no way to get to my dad's to care for him as he recovers from cancer, nothing

I told them all this and he said he would go away and get back to me.

Many hours later he rings me back and offers me the spec that arrived yesterday, standard range exclusive for the price I'd agreed for the excite long range, but it would take 6 weeks due to the one from yesterday being given to someone else now but he could get me a Ford focus to drive in the meantime

I asked if I could go away and think about it. He said no he needed an answer now. So I said no. Wasn't prepared to sign up for 4 years for a different car to what I wanted especially not without thinking about it first

So that leaves me screwed. No car to get to work etc

They rang me back and have sent me 250 quid due to the inconvenience but I am still without a car

TLDR - avoid vanarama

Attachments

• IMG_20211220_113425.jpg
    IMG_20211220_113425.jpg
    407.7 KB · Views: 159
Interesting how Nathaniel cars were delivering it, I guess Vanarama are just middle men who take your money to buy cars cheaper from the dealers who actually have them?

Really sorry to hear of your woes, especially as you're now without transport. I'd have asked them to supply a hire care FOC for 2 weeks whilst you got your self sorted out.

If I were you I'd spend some time ringing dealers across the country, you may have to travel but a few people here have picked cars up within days for vehicles already at the dealers from their bulk buying.

Interesting how Nathaniel cars were delivering it, I guess Vanarama are just middle men who take your money to buy cars cheaper from the dealers who actually have them?

Really sorry to hear of your woes, especially as you're now without transport. I'd have asked them to supply a hire care FOC for 2 weeks whilst you got your self sorted out.

If I were you I'd spend some time ringing dealers across the country, you may have to travel but a few people here have picked cars up within days for vehicles already at the dealers from their bulk buying.
Yeah so it's vanarama, but through lease plan and then through whoever they use.

Yeah it's a real pain the arse to be honest but il sort something out.

I can't see me finding a deal as good as the one I was supposed to be getting. All along I thought it was too good to be true. Turns out it was
Thanks

That is really poor customer service you have been on the receiving end of.

Any chance you qualify for the Affinity Scheme? If so, you could probably buy the car you want for similar money to what you were supposed to be leasing it for.

And finally, and most importantly, can I just wish your dad all the best going forward.... He is way more important than any stupid car.

That does sound like a good deal for 20k miles and no upfront. Wasn't Luscombe's offering some mg5's pre registered from a fleet deal that fell through? Might be worth a quick call.

Forgot to say...the exclusive on the trailer was registered at the end of November according to mot check website. Sounds like it has been kicking around for a while if it was only delivered yesterday. Likely a car they have tried to palm off on a number of customers.

I understand MG pressured dealers into registering all they could by the end of November. I wouldn't be overly concerned about that, it's only 3 weeks ago!

That is really poor customer service you have been on the receiving end of.

Any chance you qualify for the Affinity Scheme? If so, you could probably buy the car you want for similar money to what you were supposed to be leasing it for.

And finally, and most importantly, can I just wish your dad all the best going forward.... He is way more important than any stupid car.
Don't qualify unfortunately.

Thank you, he is getting better every day and it's looking good. Appreciate your message

Thanks

Yeah so it's vanarama, but through lease plan and then through whoever they use.

Yeah it's a real pain the arse to be honest but il sort something out.

I can't see me finding a deal as good as the one I was supposed to be getting. All along I thought it was too good to be true. Turns out it was
Thanks
Have you tried gridserve?

Might take a while to get delivery.

Have you tried gridserve?

Might take a while to get delivery.
Good price on there. Unfortunately I need to buy a car immediately to get to work in the new so going to have to go back to ICE for the time being

The Grisdserve website lease prices aren’t actually the current rates since the grants were changed. The actual cost is almost 100 pounds more for the long range zs trophy connect I wanted when I called them. 417 instead of 320.

I’m awaiting a delivery from Vanarama and have seen my ‘hot deal’ guaranteed delivery of 6-8 weeks arriving in December delayed until February. I’ll be paying extra close attention when it finally arrived. Like you say…the deal looked very good!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom