How much do you spend on charging?

How much do you spend on Charging each Month?

• Total voters
So far I’ve done around 490km on my MG in a little over 2 weeks, have used only public charging, fast/slow charging is about 50/50 it has cost me around 30€.

The key thing the poll misses is ... how many miles do you do each month, and how are you driving? (i.e. what efficiency do you get). Plus cost will depend on where you are charging and what the tariff is.

Too many variables for a useful comparison.
I agree with above. Commercial charging is about 10 times more expensive per unit that over night/ off peak home charging.

As others have cost of electric vs cost of petrol/diesol (if you used an ICE before.
For me, I average in the range £28 to £31 per month in electric (mainly octopus at 7.5p per KW) I used to spend £260 to £280 on diesol! So I am quickly making a dent in the upfront costs (car/home charger etc. MG4 Trophy LR with 7500 miles since Sept 2023.

I feel like I'm getting it for free. When I got the car I made some economies to my home electricity usage, and the upshot was a letter from Scottish Power saying that I had been overpaying, was in credit by over £1,000 and reducing my monthly direct debit by £60.

Yes, I was obviously being too profligate with the electricity before, but I simply swore off using fan heaters (adjusted the central heating to compensate) and the tumble drier - except very occasionally. So that has more than paid for the car's consumption.

When charging from home I am getting around 1.5p per mile but overall with public chargers on a few long journeys that are pretty rare it’s around 4p.

About half what it would to drive a petrol car. And I don't pay for some of my electricity as I get it free from work. I've had my MG4 since last March (had 2 Leafs for 9 yrs before that) and have done 17k miles in it. Did about 160k miles in the 2 Leafs.

In. spring and summer and autumn we were averaging 4.3m/kwh and we charged pretty much exclusively with granny charger on our 100Green lowTIDE of 8.6p/kWh from midnight to 0700, occasionally using our spare solar that would otherwise be exported for 7p/kWh to Good Energy through our FIT or free of charge at the parental rural idyll which is essential to make the round trip plus errands! More recently we've done some much longer trips requiring fast charging off the A1 at 79p/kWh and the heater has been on so recent average m/kWh dropped to 3.5. Obviously on the long trips it's worth planning to arrive home with as little charge as comfortable given the potential for a late detour with trees, floods, landslides etc. its the price we pay for climate change!

We pay an average of 2p a mile for our ZS and MG4. We spend more of course if we need to use public charging. For example, I regularly drive a 370+ mile round trip. My total cost for this trip is on average £35 (Just under £5 for home charging and around £30 for public charging), giving an average cost per mile of 9.5p per mile, equivalent to a petrol car averaging 60 MPG at current fuel prices.

2p per mile at home with Octopus Intelligent Go. Offset slightly by washing machine and dishwasher now only on during cheap overnight electricity.

I spend zero on fuel charging at local shop free and home solar, my system produces 30-40 kw per day most days .
3500 km traveled so far in my MG 4

Curious as to how much people are spending each month charging after a conversation about costs vs ICE vehicles.
Had my MG es about 30 months now and have always monitored the cost comparison. The Ohme app allows actual historical costs to be used against my 'calculated' KIA Sport @ 42mpg

MG 18Kmls @ 7.5p /kWhTotal £445
KIA 18k mls @ say 160p/ltr Total £3564

I rarely use public charging

18k/mls/per year is always pretty normal

The 160p/ltr is as low as its been since I changed to electric

MG is actual, KIA is calculated based on a known mpg

If it wasn't for the poor trade in price I'd be ecstatic.

I use about 400 kWh every month for charging, which is about 1700 km per month in winter operation. I charge at home and the price of 1 kWh is 2,8 CZK (Czech Republic). So I pay about 1120 CZK per month over the winter.

Before MG4 I had a car on LPG, when I paid about 1900 CZK per month. At the price of petrol or diesel (about 35 CZK/litre) I would pay about 3570 CZK per month. To give you an idea, my monthly salary is 41 000 CZK

Last edited:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 503 79.5%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel