How much time does it take to do software updates?

BingBong

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Hi, i juat got my Luxury and i am on R30. i ask for my dealer to update to R46 (i said that i have AA problems and bugs which ia true) and they said that they can do it but the update can take even 2 hours.

Is it true that software update can take 2 hours? I thought that it takes 30 min ~.

Dose it worth to wait 2 hours at the dealership for R46?

Btw, there is an option (maybe with engineers menu or something) to force the car to turn on on adaptive regen mode?

Hi, I asked my dealer recently, and they told me they need the car for one day.
I think that it could take a while, otherwise they would have proposed to me to stay there during the update.
I am on R33 and the regen remains ON at level 3. I didn't had to force anything, just set it to regen/3

Hi, i juat got my Luxury and i am on R30. i ask for my dealer to update to R46 (i said that i have AA problems and bugs which ia true) and they said that they can do it but the update can take even 2 hours.

Is it true that software update can take 2 hours? I thought that it takes 30 min ~.

Btw, there is an option (maybe with engineers menu or something) to force the car to turn on on adaptive regen mode?
Took them about 10mins to update mine to R46

Hmmm... is it just infotainment they are updating?

Car module updates can take hours as there's lots of dependencies. But normally the infotainment is standalone and they can do it from a USB stick, so it should be quick.

Or perhaps they wanted 2 hours to manage their workflow in the workshop, so the technician can do it at some point in a 2 hour window?

Which country are you in - my dealer keeps saying that R24 on the Trophy is the latest version

Your dealer is either ignorant, lazy, or deceitful. (Or all 3). The latest in the UK is 1300R46, although 1300R40 is usually the latest version installed unless specific issues are reported (e.g. losing Bluetooth connection with your phone).

I just got software upgrades done yesterday. Had to leave the car at the dealer all day. I previously had the software recall done which didn't include the infotainment one. When they called me they said they did 7 software updates in total including the infotainment to R46.
I think there are possibly other updates that they might have to do which is why they ask you to leave the car so they can determine what's needed

Go to Settings > System

Note that this will only give you the infotainment software version. The Car software (what controls the driving and stuff) isn't viewable on the screen as far as I know.

Thank you. Mine is 13000R40
You should be able to get R46. Not sure if it's only R46 that has the new climate control layout. It's not the prettiest but the most functional with bigger tiles that you can just use as buttons and it also doesn't disappear before you can make any adjustments. Pretty useful for when the passenger needs to do the adjustments. Previously a slight mis-tap would result in airflow going to the footwell only lol
Also, what I have observed, coming from R2x something, now Android Auto's voice guidance is linked to the voice volume of the car and plays fine. Previously I had to start some music on AA to start getting directions. Instructions also come through when playing radio via the car's radio.
Another nice thing now is the status bar is always visible when when on AA, so the quick pull down is available to turn on hotspot, climate control, fog lights and the outside temp. Previously AA was full screen and we had to go to 'home' to access these.

Happy with this update with all these little things. I do have to say that there were under the hood ones that was done as there were 7 updates total but I didn't get much details on them.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 507 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back