How to distinguish between SE and SE long range model?

meveringham

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE LR
Does anyone know how you can easily distinguish between the SE and the SE long range models? AFAIK there are no distinguishing badges or 'marks' anywhere on the cars and they look identical, but on Gov UK and the Vehicle Check app, my car is showing as an SE, not the SE long range, although I don't even know if they distinguish between the two. But at 100% charge the range is consistently showing as 206 miles, much less than I was anticipating, but it's not being driven hard, it's not particularly cold outside and I've never put it in Sport mode.

Is there no label on the battery you can see by looking under the car?
My MG5 has one.

If you push them carefully I think the active ones will give a little where as the others are a solid moulding

The SR has a section of the grille either side of the centre "open" all of the time, the LR has the active grille in the same place. If the car is "not hot" the grille will be closed, but if the car is hot (e.g. just driven hard) then this will be open. In the "not hot" closed position the movable parts can be shifted by reasonably low force from a single finger. Even when open the open section can be seen through the grille.

I imagine they are different weights an the value will be displayed on the vin plate, usually found around the driver's door. Something like this
1669296098603.png

Maybe owners could check and report value for SR SE, LR SE and Trophy?

Is there no label on the battery you can see by looking under the car?
My MG5 has one.
I'll take a look! Thank you!
The SR has a section of the grille either side of the centre "open" all of the time, the LR has the active grille in the same place. If the car is "not hot" the grille will be closed, but if the car is hot (e.g. just driven hard) then this will be open. In the "not hot" closed position the movable parts can be shifted by reasonably low force from a single finger. Even when open the open section can be seen through the grille.
any chance of a photo? Tried to google it, no dice

I'll take a look! Thank you!

any chance of a photo? Tried to google it, no dice
The MG4 one on the trophy same as the LR with the grill open, if closed you can still see they are moveable, no opening on the SR good enough to give you the idea hopefully
PXL_20221124_161406466.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe worth trying some math, actually: note down your average consumption in m/kWh and the estimated range. If you go (range / consumption) you should at least have a close value to your battery size. Eg, having 208m range and 3.4 consumption, you'd have 208 / 3.4 = 61 kWh battery size, so that would be the long range version.

The MG4 one on the trophy same as the LR with the grill open, if closed you can still see they are moveable, no opening on the SR good enough to give you the idea hopefully

Not quite. That picture shows the LR/Trophy with the active grille open, and the SR looks like that the whole time. Only when the LR is "not hot" do the baffles on the left of the picture close.

I imagine they are different weights an the value will be displayed on the vin plate, usually found around the driver's door. Something like this
View attachment 12999

Maybe owners could check and report value for SR SE, LR SE and Trophy?

The first line under the VIN is the GVW and should be 2083 for the SR and 2113 for the LR/Trophy.

Sadly I'm between cars at the moment so can't post a picture of mine. People might want to obscure the last six numbers of their VIN to avoid cloning.

Maybe worth trying some math, actually: note down your average consumption in m/kWh and the estimated range. If you go (range / consumption) you should at least have a close value to your battery size. Eg, having 208m range and 3.4 consumption, you'd have 208 / 3.4 = 61 kWh battery size, so that would be the long range version.
That’s a really intelligent suggestion, thank you

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 507 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel