How to get 11kw charging?

PeterXpower

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 XPOWER
Hi

I picked up a new MG4 Xpower last week, very happy with it but I'm struggling to get it to charge at 11kw on a 3ph 11kw charger, I can only get it to charge at 7kw. I had a look at the charging settings and adjusted, on ac power setting it charged at 7kw which was the highest setting I could find but this is the same as a 1ph 7kw charger I have at home. Am I missing something in the settings?

Anybody got the 11kw ac charging working?

Hi

I picked up a new MG4 Xpower last week, very happy with it but I'm struggling to get it to charge at 11kw on a 3ph 11kw charger, I can only get it to charge at 7kw. I had a look at the charging settings and adjusted, on ac power setting it charged at 7kw which was the highest setting I could find but this is the same as a 1ph 7kw charger I have at home. Am I missing something in the settings?

Anybody got the 11kw ac charging working?
Have a look at the type2 socket on the car are the L2 and L3 pins populated?
Check both end of your cable too.

Weird, from the brochure of the versions they sell in the Netherlands, only the standard version of the MG4 does not support 11kW charging, see the following snippet. I would expect that the XPOWER should definitely have a 11kW charger on board.

Screenshot 2023-10-19 100652.png

I would never have thought that there would be a difference on a techincal level like this between our countries. Well, today I learned!
3ph is more prevalent in domestic on the continent than in the UK, as we have a high rated 1ph supplies than most European countries offer before they go 3ph.

3ph is more prevalent in domestic on the continent than in the UK, as we have a high rated 1ph supplies than most European countries offer before they go 3ph.
Three phase is mostly found in industrial settings so I imagine there are places like engineering firms who would install these type of chargers for their staff to use. That's the only really example I can think of why they might appear in the UK over DC alternatives.

Three phase is mostly found in industrial settings so I imagine there are places like engineering firms who would install these type of chargers for their staff to use. That's the only really example I can think of why they might appear in the UK over DC alternatives.
In many situations what I've found as a design engineer at a DNO even factories would rather install 3no 7kW chargers to allow 3 people to charge over 1no 22kW charger that an only do 1 vehicle at a time.

Given in most environments people are at work 7-8hrs to me that makes perfect sense

In my country (NL), most of the public domestic chargers you'll find in residential areas are 3ph 11 to 22kW chargers, so in that regard the MG4 version in the Netherlands that comes with a 11kW on board charger are quite handy. I can see why they made different versions for different countries.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 512 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back