How to put a USB cable through the holes at the sides of front console

TheHypnoToad

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Hi,

I've recently picked up an MG4 Trophy and so far so good, it seems to be working well.

However I've been unable to put a USB cable thru the holes that are at the sides of the front console, I've tried pushing it from below but it looks like the hole is way too small.

I've seen some other MG4's that already have USB cables already run through these holes like this:

lux0EHI.png

So it looks like it must be possible, has anyone managed it and if so how did you do it?

I've checked the manual and it doesn't seem to mention how it's done.

Pushing up from below has done the trick. The screwdriver I had was a little too long but managed to with some other tools, once the tray part pops out it's pretty straight forward.

Thanks and happy new year. :)

Matt Watson on the MG4 CarWow Youtube review called this out as a fault that you couldn’t get a cable through - he obviously didn’t see the slots!

Reviewers of new models don't tend to get much time with the car to work out such things. Therefore they shouldn't comment on such things - or at least not in an overtly negative [or positive] way - if they simply don't have the time to be able to understand. :)

I am yet to get my MG4 but I cannot understand what the cables are for. Can't you connect your phone to the media system by bluetooth or do you have to connect it by USB cable and always have to have it plugged in for calls? Also can you play your recorded music on your USB plugged into the port or is the connected phone the only way to play your selected songs?
Please allow for my ignorance as I am used to a bluetooth system with my current cars and the only cable I deal with is for my dashcam which is plugged into a 12v outlet.

I am yet to get my MG4 but I cannot understand what the cables are for. Can't you connect your phone to the media system by bluetooth or do you have to connect it by USB cable and always have to have it plugged in for calls? Also can you play your recorded music on your USB plugged into the port or is the connected phone the only way to play your selected songs?
Please allow for my ignorance as I am used to a bluetooth system with my current cars and the only cable I deal with is for my dashcam which is plugged into a 12v outlet.
There is Bluetooth and this can/is be used for media/phone, for android auto and carplay you need a cable connection.

Yes, it sort of makes wireless charging seem a little silly without wireless CP or AA!
Most manufacturers do not have wireless CP/AA. I know that BMW do, but many others don’t.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 511 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back