How to update the Sat nav?

cainey

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Can anyone shed light on how to update the satnav in the prefacelift MG5 long range? I have looked on line and nowhere seems able to offer it.

With great difficulty in all honesty.

You need a USB stick. Preferably no bigger than 16gb as needs to be formatted as fat32. You sign up on NaviExtras and install Navitoolbox on a pc or laptop.

The steps are presented in the software, but essentially you put the USB stick in the left hand port, prepare it using the menu in the infotainment system, then plug it back into the pc and it will grab the latest maps.

The hard part is when you put it back in the car and you hope it installs the update. I've tried multiple times and not managed to make it take and I've worked in IT for 25 years 😕. Might have another go, but in all honesty, I just use android auto.

Oh balls. It was bad enough when it did. Have you tried it? Because it may say doesn't support as its not used for the face lift.

AA/car play are still the experience.

.NaviExtras no longer support the MG5.......

I know that's what their website says but they actually do, in the sense that you can buy the latest map updates from them. What they do NOT offer is any technical support for users but you do have to and can register as an MG5 owner on their site.

However, as @Lguk writes (and in my opinion) a far better option is to use Android Auto or Apple CarPlay, both free, so no updates to purchase.

I previously owned an MG6, whose SatNav was provided by NaviExtras. Over the seven years I had it there were map updates released about once a year, or less, but each one cost at least £90!

However, unlike @Lguk I always found the actual updating process quite straightforward, albeit very time consuming; it was not unusual for the whole process to take in excess of 2 hours using their NaviExtras Toolbox (installed on your computer) because the map updates (usually essentially a complete new set of maps) have to be first downloaded to your computer and then copied to the USB Memory Stick. Only then could any attempt be made to update the actual SatNav itself!

Be aware that if the update goes wrong it can mess up your infotainment unit. As stated, NaviExtras will give you zero support if this happens.

It's a shame about not having NaviExtras support anymore. I bricked my gen1 ZS satnav soon after buying it and they sent me restore files to use and it fixed it (posts on the forum somewhere if you want to look). They were actually really helpful as I recall, the dealership had no idea what to do!

Forget about the onboard satnav, use Carplay or Android Auto, Google maps works just fine, is free and constantly updated.
I agree - Google/Apple Maps or Waze also shows live traffic too which the Inbuilt SatNav never did. That said, I have sometimes made better choices myself than Google Maps has...

Can anyone shed light on how to update the satnav in the prefacelift MG5 long range? I have looked on line and nowhere seems able to offer it.
Naviextras.com register the car on the software purchase map updates and speed camera database. Very easy to do.

I agree - Google/Apple Maps or Waze also shows live traffic too which the Inbuilt SatNav never did. That said, I have sometimes made better choices myself than Google Maps has...
The built in navigation is updated through Naviextras.com where both maps and speed camera can be purchased and uploaded to the car. My speed cameras are now fully functional at £1.35

It's quite straightforward using naviextras.com
Yes, I've found it all straight forward too, I had this system in my Peugeot 308 Pioneer infotainment centre, so quite used to it.
There are 3 free updates on Naviextra's website, the last one being 2022Q4, plus of course the payup ones.
The ones I use are under the heading 'MG Touch' and 'MG5 Europe'

Stick your stick in the lefthand USB port, bring up 'System' on the 'Setup' display an scroll down to 'Update Navigation', click on that little window, and it'll warn that 'No Media Files found', ignore that, when it asks if you want continue, just press OK, it'll then inform you it's done and disconnect your stick.
Take your stick to your computer and have Naviextras Toolbox running, insert it and the 'Toolbox' should recognise it, and ask if you wish to 'Update', click OK, remove your stick safely, and just insert it in the lefthand USB slot, bring up the System in Setup, touch the 'Update' window and follow the instructions.

I must have done it 20 times since getting the car last August, never had a problem.

Naviextras is working fine

Hope it works for you
Naviextras MG Touch Install.jpg

Just done an update this very minute.

Yes, I've found it all straight forward too, I had this system in my Peugeot 308 Pioneer infotainment centre, so quite used to it.
There are 3 free updates on Naviextra's website, the last one being 2022Q4, plus of course the payup ones.

Stick your stick in the lefthand USB port, bring up 'System' on the 'Setup' display an scroll down to 'Update Navigation', click on that little window, and it'll warn that 'No Media Files found', ignore that, when it asks if you want continue, just press OK, it'll then inform you it's done and disconnect your stick.
Take your stick to your computer and have Naviextras Toolbox running, insert it and the 'Toolbox' should recognise it, and ask if you wish to 'Update', click OK, remove your stick safely, and just insert it in the lefthand USB slot, bring up the System in Setup, touch the 'Update' window and follow the instructions.

I must have done it 20 times since getting the car last August, never had a problem.

Hope it works for youView attachment 20485
Is yours a pre facelift MG5? on my facelift there is no "Update Navigation" option. There is "Resource Update" but that won't do anything because it says that there is no map data on the USB stick.

Hope it works for youView attachment 20485
Thanks for the detailed info, it sounds reasonably easy I will give it a go.

Thanks for the detailed info, it sounds reasonably easy I will give it a go.
It doesn't work for me . I'm assuming that the update process would take 20 to 30 minutes , same as my previous car . It takes about 5 seconds when I apply it to the car which leads me to believe it hasn't updated .
I've spoken to Naviextras support and they are about as much help as a chocolate teapot

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom