• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

How to update your MG ZS EV media system

I don't know, I just followed the instructions on naviextras toolbox, took a fingerprint of my nav on USB, inserted it into my PC and naviextras showed me what updates I needed and were available, downloaded them then took the USB to the car and followed the prompts on the nav. It's quite straightforward really and pretty much the same as on my Toyota Priuses, which I've updated several times in past few years.
How many updates are available? Can you download and install more at the same time?

It only showed the one for mine, Western Europe nav map IIRC.

Because I couldn't find anything in the manual nor in any post about this how to do this I made this post.

The best way to do this is with a laptop in the car, but internet is required.

Beste Arjen,
You said you could not find any post or manual to update the nav system of the MG car, strange it is on the website of Naviextras itself??
For me a little bit buggy website, because it does not show the screenshots only updates....updates
And it is a mix of instructions for stand alone navigation device and MG car device, very confusing.
26DA2E94-954F-4E7B-A672-F8405B13D9CD.png

I read on the tweakers forum somebody ruined his navigation and this is making me a little bit scared to do it myself.
At first: why do you need a laptop in the car? As far as I read you only need an usb-stick to get the signature on it and then you go to your PC, install toolbox, put the usb-stick in it and see what updates there are.
I also know from Tweakers that there are two updates now: Charging point update and a card update, both from 2020 Q2.
Question: do I have to install these one by one and everytime format usb and get signature again. You did write it same this.

48FB706B-D28B-42E6-9F24-E0FBAC348680.png

I also read on Naviextras that it is strongly recommended to make a backup of the system first before you make any update.
But how to do do that with a system which is build in the car?
BTW do I have to choose for MGtouch when making account on Naviextras?
The system in the MG ZS EV is the MGtouch am I right?
I made an account, choose for MGtouch, but for the cards I choose MG ZS EV Europe, this should be MG ZS EV Western Europe UK as you adviced.
The problem is I can’t change this anymore, everytime I login again it shows “Europe”
Is this a problem or is everything OK when you put the signature usb in the PC?
Thanks for helping
These updates also could solve my charging points problem as I write before.

Last edited:
I think Europe is just a bigger file than Western Europe as it covers a bigger area. The only downside is it will take longer to download and to upload to the car.

I think Europe is just a bigger file than Western Europe as it covers a bigger area. The only downside is it will take longer to download and to upload to the car.
Of course whole Europe is bigger then western Europe?
and of course a bigger file.
And you certainly won’t get it for free, because your native nav is only Western

I ran the update process through again today and found the 2020 Q2 update, mine must have updated to an earlier one when I did it last time.
Of course whole Europe is bigger then western Europe?
and of course a bigger file.
And you certainly won’t get it for free, because your native nav is only Western
But it's not me that's entered it when I opened my account is it ? and I am not the one asking for it for free am I ? ??
I entered Western Europe ?

Beste Arjen,
Thanks for helping

Q2 2020? Wow that's new then.
I only know of Q4 2019.

Firstly I am not the manufacturer, nor a programmeur of sorts. I am professionally working in the Geo informaticus, I'm just glad to help by sharing my experience.

So it must be me, that I read it wrongly that I get a bad comment on the fact that there actually is a manual, so I'm falsly making statements. I know there is, but like it is said by your own comment about it: it is crap.

And after that you post a kazillion questions. Did you ťry to ask the manufacturer about it? Did you read everything and watch every YouTube post,besides Tweakers? If so a lot is already answered.

Like the worry about bricking it. Yes, as I stated before, that's possible. Just go to the dealer if you think it is a risk you don't want to take. But so is charging your car and so is using software.

But as I said, I'm glad to help so Here we go...

Q: why do you need a laptop in the car?
A: You don't, it is just easier.

Q: I also know from Tweakers that there are two updates now: Charging point update and a card update, both from 2020 Q2.
A: that's new to me but it seems wrong information. If you look on the actual Naviextras website, you'l see that it is not correct! The latstest map updates are from Q4 2019.

(By the way: I guess you meant map update instead of card update?)

Q: do I have to install these one by one and everytime format usb and get signature again?
A: yes
You did write it same this. (? what do you mean with this sentence?)

Q: Backup. But how to do do that with a system which is build in the car?
A: I have no idea, ask the manufacturer and when you get an answer be so kind to let us know.

Q: BTW do I have to choose for MGtouch when making account on Naviextras? The system in the MG ZS EV is the MGtouch am I right?
A: yes. A: it seems to me you already did, so what's the point of the question?

Q: Is this a problem or is everything OK when you put the signature usb in the PC?
A: Okay, yes. I chose Western Europe but it changed after signature to Western Europe (UK)

Q: These updates also could solve my charging points problem as I write before.
A: As I wrote before: No it won't. Read my comment again. At best it has more current Cp's but it's impossible to be update with the way it works. It takes time and money to update maps and waypoints. So by definition it is always behind reality.
Then this system is manually updated by the dealer or owner. So Q2 2020 actually means the last update is from Q1. The second Q is used to make the update package, checks if it doesn't brick the system and deploying it around the world.
If you want accurate and almost complete Cp information:
1- use Plugshare for putting in New or updating old information.
2- use ABRP for the most efficient routing.
3- use the cars nav system for navigation via the waypoints given by ABRP (use the multi waypoint option in the nav system)

Good luck, enjoy the weather

Attachments

• 15969732859402259186565278691680.jpg
    15969732859402259186565278691680.jpg
    697.6 KB · Views: 235
And after that you post a kazillion questions. Did you ťry to ask the manufacturer about it? Did you read everything and watch every YouTube post,besides Tweakers? If so a lot is already answered.
Oh yes, I did, but I can’t contact Naviextras on the usual way (no confirmation of receivement). Maybe I can try it again via info@
One person on Tweakers updated it succesfull and write a manual again based on yours I think.
I think I first gonna contact my dealer (van Mossel) what to do with it and what recovery possibilities there are in case it should go wrong.
step by step everything is clear now for me, the update process is actually very easy, but one person on Tweakers bricked it allready.
Again a screenshot from the person on Tweakers whid dit it succesfull.
Thanks for writing me with this nice weather:cool:
4A2483CE-8CC2-49BA-8C21-9D40443B6551.png

I think I first gonna contact my dealer (van Mossel) what to do with it and what recovery possibilities there are in case it should go wrong.
step by step everything is clear now for me, the update process is actually very easy, but one person on Tweakers bricked it allready.
Again a screenshot from the person on Tweakers whid dit it succesfull.
Thanks for writing me with this nice weather:cool:
If you remove the stick I can imagine it will go bad, but normally it is no probleem since the update is only copying files from USB to system maps as far as I know. (you can check it when the stick is "loaded".
I also, like many more on this forum, updated succesfully.
If it's Van Mossel Breda, ask for Max.
I can pm you the direct number to the dealers garage if you like.

Last edited:
@Johnberg51 that is indeed the screenshot from me, and I have read the manual from various people and experiences before updating en ook van @ARvanHAS
and I have the experience I got from update also shared on tweakers.

@Johnberg51 that is indeed the screenshot from me, and I have read the manual from various people and experiences before updating en ook van @ARvanHAS
and I have the experience I got from update also shared on tweakers.
Hey Pecari,
Sorry , I hope you understand I use your screenshot, I am doing the same as you I think, just exploring the experience of various of other people.
That bad experience of “thehog” did make me a bit scared?
Maybe he only had a bad usb-stick?

Last edited:
Hey Pecari,
Sorry , I hope you understand I use your screenshot, I am doing the same as you I think, just exploring the experience of various of other people.
That bad experience of “thehog” did make me a bit scared?
Maybe he only had a bad usb-stick?
Or in the wrong format, that'll do the trick too.

Ok, now I've got my car, I can confirm the audio files it'll play from an exFAT USB (comfort 2 pack installed if that makes a difference):

mp3
m4a
flac
wma
ape
wav
ogg
aac

Unsurprisingly it won't play these video files (only tested a couple):

mp4
mpg

If the audio files above have album art embedded into the files themselves, the media player will display them. Couldn't get them to display folders with album art in named "folder" or "cover", both jpg files. I didn;t notice any duplicate files like @Pieter mentioned, but I only had a few files for testing.

Last edited:
Ok, now I've got my car, I can confirm the audio files it'll play from an exFAT USB (comfort 2 pack installed if that makes a difference):

mp3
m4a
flac
wma
ape
wav
ogg

Unsurprisingly it won't play these video files (only tested a couple):

mp4
mpg

If the audio files above have album art embedded into the files themselves, the media player will display them. Couldn't get them to display folders with album art in named "folder" or "cover", both jpg files. I didn;t notice any duplicate files like @Pieter mentioned, but I only had a few files for testing.
Mp4 and avi files play OK for me.

Mp4 and avi files play OK for me.

Just tried it again, put some test videos in a folder called "video" and the car wouldn't even see the folder! Needless to say they woudln't play. Have you applied any special attirbutues to your files, such as bitrate, resolution, etc?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom