How to update your MG ZS EV media system

I also had to contact them (NaviExtras) when the update didn’t work. Initially they were really helpful but the fix they gave me bricked my satnav application (other head unit functions worked fine). After that they stopped supporting me and I had to take the care back to dealer. It Had to be sent back to Longbridgr to fix. Take care when updating maps. To be fair it wasn’t the updating that bricked the satnav it was the patch they gave me. I think that the problem is related to the sync tool software used to update the maps, either it crashes or times out when checking the files. It may be that applying the comfort update fixes this. Worth checking with those that have updated successfully.
Just use Google Maps it’s much better and easier...

I also had to contact them (NaviExtras) when the update didn’t work. Initially they were really helpful but the fix they gave me bricked my satnav application (other head unit functions worked fine). After that they stopped supporting me and I had to take the care back to dealer. It Had to be sent back to Longbridgr to fix. Take care when updating maps. To be fair it wasn’t the updating that bricked the satnav it was the patch they gave me. I think that the problem is related to the sync tool software used to update the maps, either it crashes or times out when checking the files. It may be that applying the comfort update fixes this. Worth checking with those that have updated successfully.
My Nav update worked successfully, although I won't be risking it again after hearing the horror stories. The comfort 2 update was done before I got the car.

Sadly reapplying the Comfort 2 update probably won't work - it didn't in my case and seems to be the default thing to try in these circumstances.

So I had my car's software updated to the Comfort 2 update today and now the map update process works without crashing. Shame that the maps cost so much (>£100 for access to a single update) and you only get access to free updates for 90 days, not going to shell out this much. I use CarPlay mostly but always useful to have an uptown satnav in the car.

These type pf updates really should be foc. Trying to milk more money from customers in this way is in my opinion counter productive. any software updates should be part of an annual service and free (in the absence of OTA updates). Anything that improves the car for customers is mutually beneficial and not only keeps customers happy but helps brand loyalty.

I thought the nav updates were free for a number of years ?

Last edited:
You may be right. I’ve seen a few posts on here where owners have been charged for the comfort updates and sat nav etc.

I thought the updates were free for a number of years ?
If this is the case, I would appreciate someone telling me how to get them.

Using Naviextras tools I only get access to the 2019 Q4 maps which makes sense as I bought the car on 14/02/2020 and my 90 days rans out on 14/05/2020 before the 3030Q2 was released.

Last edited:
So I had my car's software updated to the Comfort 2 update today and now the map update process works without crashing. Shame that the maps cost so much (>£100 for access to a single update) and you only get access to free updates for 90 days, not going to shell out this much. I use CarPlay mostly but always useful to have an uptown satnav in the car.
You’ve probably paid mainly for the comfort 2 update which was an optional software update...

If this is the case, I would appreciate someone telling me how to get them.

Using Naviextras tools I only get access to the 2019 Q4 maps which makes sense as I bought the care on 14/02/2020 and my 90 days rans out on 14/05/2020 before the 3030Q2 was released.
I think you're right, I bought my car in July 2020 and I've just looked on naviextras and I got the first one, Q2 2020, free in September, but the latest one, Q3 2020, has a price of 119.95 Euro on it. 😟
Not good, I got 3 years free updates with the Prius from Toyota. I guess I'll have to start using Android auto if I go anywhere now.

You’ve probably paid mainly for the comfort 2 update which was an optional software update...
Sorry, that wasn't clear. Yes, I paid for the comfort update at the dealership. The £100 that I was referring to (which I haven't paid) was for a single (not lifetime or 3 years worth) map update from Navi-extras. Crazy prices

I think you're right, I bought my car in July 2020 and I've just looked on naviextras and I got the first one, Q2 2020, free in September, but the latest one, Q3 2020, has a price of 119.95 Euro on it. 😟
Not good, I got 3 years free updates with the Prius from Toyota. I guess I'll have to start using Android auto if I go anywhere now.
It’s better anyway...

Not entirely true because I had one which made the whole mediasystem a lot quicker/ more responsive.
Only didn't take pictures sorry.
I’ve got my update ready for me to install tomorrow! I’m hoping for my infotainment system to perform faster! I will keep you posted...

I’ve got my update ready for me to install tomorrow! I’m hoping for my infotainment system to perform faster! I will keep you posted...
Just be careful, is it software you have downloaded if it gets bricked you won't get support.

Make sure the car is in ready mode and be patient with it. The screen goes blank for a while sometimes while it's updating, don't turn the car off if it does, wait.

Make sure the car is in ready mode and be patient with it. The screen goes blank for a while sometimes while it's updating, don't turn the car off if it does, wait.
Installed this morning, took its time and as far as I can see, it has a slightly better performance!

If the audio files above have album art embedded into the files themselves, the media player will display them.
I've found it hit and miss with displaying embedded images.

When it won't display the image, it's more likely that the image was larger. But I can't find a consistent limit, in pixel size or image file size (before adding to the .mp3).

Where there are two images embedded, it will only display the first (I thought it might display them in a cycle, a few seconds per image).

I also find it a little annoying that you lose the corners of the image, and a big hole in the middle. Though it's possibly ideal for images optimised for printing on a printable CD or DVD.

Here is one that is definitely not optimised for the hole in the middle:

Album art in infotainment sm2.jpg

Anyone figured out how to increase the chances of images displaying?

I've found it hit and miss with displaying embedded images.

When it won't display the image, it's more likely that the image was larger. But I can't find a consistent limit, in pixel size or image file size (before adding to the .mp3).

Where there are two images embedded, it will only display the first (I thought it might display them in a cycle, a few seconds per image).

I also find it a little annoying that you lose the corners of the image, and a big hole in the middle. Though it's possibly ideal for images optimised for printing on a printable CD or DVD.

Here is one that is definitely not optimised for the hole in the middle:

View attachment 3596

Anyone figured out how to increase the chances of images displaying?
Is looking at the pictures really that important when listening to music, especially if you are driving ?

Is looking at the pictures really that important when listening to music, especially if you are driving ?
Good point. But then, is the colour of the paint worth paying an extra $500/£300 for? Some people think it is, or those options would not be there. Hell, it happened to me (Royal Blue).

Maybe it's a technology thing. It's supposed to be able to do X, so now if it doesn't do X, I want to know why.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom