HV battery failure

Goofy

Standard Member
Reaction score
I’m gutted only 9000 miles on the clock & today it was taken away on a flat bed. Following repeated slow charge requests, which I discovered via this platform was due to a faulty software update my car was given late last year, today it shut down completely.
The AA were great & came out quickly, but following their investigation I was told it needed to go to a dealership as it seems likely that the HV fuse has blown.
Can anyone please let me know if MG’s warranty covers a curtesy car, whilst mine is being repaired?

I’m gutted only 9000 miles on the clock & today it was taken away on a flat bed. Following repeated slow charge requests, which I discovered via this platform was due to a faulty software update my car was given late last year, today it shut down completely.
The AA were great & came out quickly, but following their investigation I was told it needed to go to a dealership as it seems likely that the HV fuse has blown.
Can anyone please let me know if MG’s warranty covers a curtesy car, whilst mine is being repaired?
Yes there was a software update to resolve this issue with the BMS, I’m not sure about the courtesy car as that will more than likely be dependent on your dealer and availability rather then MG themselves.
Sorry you’ve had this issue and I hope it’s corrected soon for you.
All the best

Yes, I also was made aware of the update via a podcast sent me from this community & I had it booked for Wednesday to get it.
I however wasn’t made aware of the availability/ necessity of an update as the previous dealership had gone into liquidation. The fact of the matter is I’m now stuck without transportation due to MG having released a duff software update, which I dutifully paid to have done because I wanted to make sure my car ran without fault.
As MG are keeping our service records digitally, was it not their duty to inform me that they had made this error & that I needed to get a further update, instead of leaving me oblivious of the necessity, when the update was released in January. I wander how many of the other owners who had their cars updated with this duff software are still running about obliviously?
Sorry for sounding so negative, it’s a great car.
Thanks for wishes of a speedy repair.

Had my BMS update this week. On collecting the car I asked for a copy of my digital service record. Was informed that there is nothing recorded on it as it had not been serviced yet. So in short it looks like MG don't know what sw is on your car. But how did they create the recall list for the faulty BMS?

List safely stored on server in China ???

It’s just such a pity that such a great car is driven by such poor customer service. All I can hope for now is that the dealership is able to sort my issues quickly so reducing the time I need to hire a car & I can get this incident behind me….but invest in the next generation MG EV remains to be determined.

I would expect MG dealer to give you a courtesy car. They can claim back from MG as they accept there was a bad BMS update.

There has been guidance issued by MG to dealers to rectify the bad BMS range and get cars back to full charge and improve cell imbalance.

See screenshot of note

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210408-123500_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210408-123500_Chrome.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 236
  • Screenshot_20210408-123711_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210408-123711_Chrome.jpg
    207.1 KB · Views: 192
Thanks for that information. On Tuesday I’ll confirm with my dealership that they are aware of this document.
It doesn’t mention anything about reprogramming/updating the duff software, or would that be something that they should carry out prior to conducting the testing & resolution method mentioned?

Thanks for that information. On Tuesday I’ll confirm with my dealership that they are aware of this document.
It doesn’t mention anything about reprogramming/updating the duff software, or would that be something that they should carry out prior to conducting the testing & resolution method mentioned?
I’m using Glyn Hopkins East London and to be honest they appear to be really good at this stage, first service was completed there, but would confirm service price before dropping the car off as I think they were going to over charge me with the service lady getting confused over the MG ZS and ICE versions....
In relation to all the software updates they should all be free with the exception of the comfort 2, albeit G Hopkins did mine for free too. Final point is that you are allowed to wait at G Hopkins East London if you are have work completed.....

I was with the Horsham dealership, until they went into liquidation, my car is now with the Masters Group Croydon dealership, who I’ve been told has only had the MG franchise for 3 months. A family run business which has previous experience with EV’s & is an EV approved dealership, so at this point in time I’ll have to wait & see how things progress.
I really appreciate your input & I’ll let the community know of my experience at this dealership.

I would expect MG dealer to give you a courtesy car. They can claim back from MG as they accept there was a bad BMS update.

There has been guidance issued by MG to dealers to rectify the bad BMS range and get cars back to full charge and improve cell imbalance.
next
See screenshot of note
MG UK also told dealers to give customers their next service for free to compensate for the inconvenience caused. That's saved me a few pounds!

Yes, I took out a 4 year service plan with Glynn Hopkin in East London and they deducted the first service as free for compensation for duff BMS issues. Did try and get 2nd year free instead as my low mileage plan was only £27 for 1st year.

Supposed to get a replica model car but not received it.

Hi I have had the car only 2 days with only 163 miles on the clock and I am stuck in Heston services after charging with a hi battery shut of code.
Not a good start to an MG.

Guys thanks for your support in providing me with the information you have….Reggie 838 gutted to hear of your predicament. I hope you get things sorted & get home safely with your car

Second rapid charge. RAC stumped and waiting for the tow lorry. Funny the car will of done more miles on the back of a recovery truck than on the road great range from a single charge.

Second rapid charge. RAC stumped and waiting for the tow lorry. Funny the car will of done more miles on the back of a recovery truck than on the road great range from a single charge.
Disconnect the Negative lead on the 12 volt battery ( if you have a 10mm spanner ) leave for a few minutes, then reconnect the negative terminal.
This has be seen by other owners on the forum !.
I am sure the RAC man will do this hard reset when he arrives !.
Good Look !.
Hands up how many members now carry a 10mm spanner in their cars ?.
I have put a cheap 10mm spanner in a resealable plastic bag, and taped it to the side of the 12 volt battery.
Just try and cover all bases really.
Having a space wheel a 12 Volt booster pack and a 10mm spanner offers some type of back up plan.
If these items fail, it's a ride home on a flat bed !.

Last edited:
I can hear people "rooting around" in their tools boxes right now !.
Scratching around to see if they have a spare 10mm spanner to put in their cars, I was on the same mission only a few weeks back folks.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom