I smart app

The videos post in this thread explain how to get to the QR code in the car. (Method is different between SE and Trophy).
I've watched all the videos, read all the advise, still cannot get the qr code up. I'm either a numpty or there is something going on to stop me.

I've watched all the videos, read all the advise, still cannot get the qr code up. I'm either a numpty or there is something going on to stop me.
Took me about an hour to get my phone to detect it, turning down the screen brightness helped a bit.

Theory: Is the car bound to a phone or an account? It would make sense for it to be the latter. In that case the VIN qr details should be stored in the account already hence no VIN qr presented on screen as it exists already.

Does that sound feasible?

Now the thinking out loud bit :unsure:

if so why does the account not communicate with the car and handshake vin details on the server to allow app functions to work on your new phone. It should allow 2 users to access the same account with only 1 allowed active log in at any time I believe. The new login should logout the other one signed in.
So on the assumption you logged out on previous phone and deleted the app the account should in theory be able to connect you to the car on the new phone and still have a spare login. But how does the MG server know the old device is discontinued or does it matter?

Sorry if this thinking out loud doesn't help but for future reference, as I will be replacing my phone shortly, it does need us to understand how it functions after phone transfer going forward. You are the guinea pig unfortunately!

I am told that second hand cars needed to be unbound by the previous owners or MG needs to do the reset for the next owner.

Alan

Took me about an hour to get my phone to detect it, turning down the screen brightness helped a bit.
No qr code displayed, nothing to do with brightness. I've tried all settings, it's just not there. Think I'll pop into the dealer at some point and see if they can bind it for me.

Theory: Is the car bound to a phone or an account? It would make sense for it to be the latter. In that case the VIN qr details should be stored in the account already hence no VIN qr presented on screen as it exists already.

Does that sound feasible?

Now the thinking out loud bit :unsure:

if so why does the account not communicate with the car and handshake vin details on the server to allow app functions to work on your new phone. It should allow 2 users to access the same account with only 1 allowed active log in at any time I believe. The new login should logout the other one signed in.
So on the assumption you logged out on previous phone and deleted the app the account should in theory be able to connect you to the car on the new phone and still have a spare login. But how does the MG server know the old device is discontinued or does it matter?

Sorry if this thinking out loud doesn't help but for future reference, as I will be replacing my phone shortly, it does need us to understand how it functions after phone transfer going forward. You are the guinea pig unfortunately!

I am told that second hand cars needed to be unbound by the previous owners or MG needs to do the reset for the next owner.

Alan
I loaded up the old phone to see if it was still bound, or if I could unbind. It's not bound any more and logs in with the same credentials as my new phone. I'll try deleting the app on my old phone but can't see that doing anything.

Given Muz's issue it would appear not...everyday is a school day on this car!

It's only a theory regarding the account being the bind but it does make sense. People lose or change phones regularly so the continuity should stay with account not the phone. Also second drivers/users do not need to bind their phones I am informed.

Is the issue not why is the second login not allowing remote functions (putting local Bluetooth connections to one side). Don't know just bouncing ideas at the moment

Alan

Picked up the MG4 two days ago. Since that time I cannot bind my phone (android) or my wife's phone (iPhone) to the car via the QR code. Anyone else had this trouble and what did you do? I'm getting a dynamic something or other error.

Use
Picked up the MG4 two days ago. Since that time I cannot bind my phone (android) or my wife's phone (iPhone) to the car via the QR code. Anyone else had this trouble and what did you do? I'm getting a dynamic something or other error.
Use the email option, not the qr code. Only way I could get it done.

Email is for the login ... QR code is for mapping (binding) the app to that particular car is it not?

@sparker are you trying the correct QR code? (i.e. the one for binding rather than the one for downloading the app). Have you tried switching the theme (dark/light) if it's a problem with actually scanning the QR code?

What exactly is the issue you're facing? (Specifically - we already know you're having a "binding" problem. Can you see the QR code? Which screen are you on to see it, and how did you get to it? Which specific model do you have? (SE and Trophy have different routes to reach the QR code)).

I'm having "dynamic code verify failed"
Tried unistalling the I smart app from my phone (galaxy 10) reinstalling and trying again to no avail.

I also got the dynamic code verify failed error. Spoke to the dealer who suggested resetting the head unit - basically the big screen. I did this and it worked first time. So....reset to factory settings the large display.

Email is for the login ... QR code is for mapping (binding) the app to that particular car is it not?

@sparker are you trying the correct QR code? (i.e. the one for binding rather than the one for downloading the app). Have you tried switching the theme (dark/light) if it's a problem with actually scanning the QR code?

What exactly is the issue you're facing? (Specifically - we already know you're having a "binding" problem. Can you see the QR code? Which screen are you on to see it, and how did you get to it? Which specific model do you have? (SE and Trophy have different routes to reach the QR code)).
I have the se edition. By resetting the display to factory settings this problem went away.

Hi, new MG4 owner, and I’ve been having problems connecting the app, it says no connection. Is the car supposed to have its own connection?
Took it back to the dealer but they don’t seem to know there a;;e from their elbow.

I don't have the car, but I have read that iSmart issues can be resolved by rebooting the infotainment (by holding down the Home button for 10 seconds), or by doing a Factory Reset from the Settings option.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 499 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back