I smart app

Registered with email (phone attempt didnt work) but when trying to bind, the security code does not arrive in email after the QR scan. What will change if I do a factory reset?

Security code? I don't remember previous videos mentioning that one would be sent - just that you have to set up your own security code.

I also restored the factory default and it now works. Unfortunately I now have to get the radio to scan all the DAB stations

Hi. Can anyone tell me if it's possible to have the iSMART app installed on more than one device? I.E. can me and my wife both have the app to take advantage of the remote facilities depending on who is using the car? The dealer couldn't tell me. (I don't have a vehicle yet). Thanks. Andy.

I believe the answer is Yes ... sort of ... but only one of the phones can bind to the car.

i.e. login to the app on one phone and bind the car to the phone. Login to the app on another phone, and that should logout the other phone.

The second phone can't bind to the car, but may still allow the app functions to be used.

Only way to know for sure is to try it.

The answer is yes. Once the car is bound to an account multiple devices can log on to that account but only one device can be active, it will log other devices out. It is the account that controls the communications the bind is purely for set up.
So when you unbind a car from within the app, you're actually unbinding the car from the account? If yes, I wonder why the unbind action needs the original phone to do the unbinding? (Maybe it's a security thing in case someone hacks your account login details).

It does not need the original phone...that was just an instrument to set it up, you can bin it if you want. Think how often some people upgrade their phone. The account is the key. You are not unbinding the car when you logout or are logged out, just the account on that device is not active with the car any more.

Before moving the car on it is recommended you unbind via your account and so the next owner can repeat the process. Don't know the exact details because I ain't got it yet but If not done the dealership has to do it according to my research.

Does that make sense?

Alan

Last edited:
It does not need the original phone...that was just an instrument to set it up, you can bin it if you want. Think how often some people upgrade their phone. The account is the key. You are not unbinding the car when you logout or are logged out, just the account on that device is not active with the car any more.

Before moving the car on it is recommended you delete the account so the next owner can repeat the process. Don't know the exact details because I ain't got it yet but If not done the dealership has to do it according to my research.

Does that make sense?

Alan
Based on what you say I should be able to access my car using the same account details from my new phone, however that doesn't work in my case. New phone, same account, no access to car.

Did you unbind the account on your old phone? Should not need to but 🤷‍♂️

You should be able to use multiple devices to access the account. If this isn't working for you a dealership visit may be required.

I'm sure he says earlier that he deleted the app and factory reset his phone (for sending off to another company - e.g. Music Magpie and the like), but didn't unbind the car from the app before doing that.

If what you said was true then that shouldn't have mattered - his new phone (logged in to the iSMART app using the same details) should connect straight away to the same car, but it doesn't.

Edit: I wonder if the system does a handshake with the bound phone before letting another phone's app take control of the car? If yes then the app not existing on the bound phone would break that link.

#hypothesising :)

Site guru you are correct. It should not have mattered. How I see it is as follows. When you scan the QR code you are basically matching the vin held on the mg server with the vin details contained within the qr code. The protocol should be vin to vin ( vin stored within app server details on one side of the server to actual car communication vin details on the other end of MG server)

App <> network <> server application platform with vin storage <>car communication platform with car vin storage <> network <> car identified by vin

Therefore the app car details should all be stored at the server end and to undo that link you log in to the app and unbind it

Alan

I agree ... but it seems that this is not the way it actually works - the original phone is still needed (in some way) to allow a new phone to login to the account and access the car. Given that logging in on another device logs out any other device that is currently connected, maybe the server is looking for a logout acknowledgment from the original device (presuming that it was still flagged as logged in) and the fact it is wiped means the server is not seeing the handshake so it doesn't allow the new device to access the car. 🤷‍♂️

Based on what you say I should be able to access my car using the same account details from my new phone, however that doesn't work in my case. New phone, same account, no access to car.
Muz you tried your old phone before you sent it away and that could log in but no longer communicated with the car...is that correct. That was used to bind but still wouldn't work?

If so the only way forward may be to get the dealership to delete the bind (they can do it, think demonstrators etc. being moved on) and start the set up from scratch and the QR code should be visible.

It may well be another bug but how many new owners have changed phones to try it? Also we have not yet had anybody confirming more that one device works or anyone reporting problems when trying more than one device so we are still ????

The phone app should be a simple interface (API) with no details stored just command/receive capability. So if anything is going wrong it is almost guaranteed to be the server perhaps losing that VIN tie up.

All hypothesis of course

Alan

Last edited:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 496 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video