I smart app

It's been working fine for me. Have you been using the car? (Sometimes it seems like the car goes into a deep sleep mode if it's not used for a(n indeterminate) period of time ... unlocking and locking the car in that scenario seems to kick the app back into life.

It's been working fine for me. Have you been using the car? (Sometimes it seems like the car goes into a deep sleep mode if it's not used for a(n indeterminate) period of time ... unlocking and locking the car in that scenario seems to kick the app back into life.
Thanks. It is true that I have not driven the car for a couple of days. But I have unlocked the car during this time and I have charged it.
Hopefully it will restart scanning.

Does anyone know what to do if you can't get the car and app to bind and you've tried everything mentioned on these forums?

If you tried everything as you state...everything... and assuming the problem that MG were experiencing getting certificates set up etc. is cleared then the only route is the dealership. No help lines, no call an MG genius the best we have is hints and tips unfortunately

If you tried everything as you state...everything... and assuming the problem that MG were experiencing getting certificates set up etc. is cleared then the only route is the dealership. No help lines, no call an MG genius the best we have is hints and tips unfortunately
Okay, thank you. I'll contact the dealership.
I've tried powering off and on again, factory reset, changing the screen to bright etc. The factory reset presented me with a "configuration" page with the 3 steps but no QR codes displayed so I had no option but to "skip", which left me in the same situation as before!

This was happening last week and early this week to others as MG had not fully set up at their end. I would keep trying until you speak to your dealership.

FYI new members

Once your account is set up ensure you note the password. Getting account password reset is a real pain so take heed

Initial bind of account to car
All you are doing is using a phone with the app to link the car vin (via the QR code) with your account to initialize the account connection to the car.

The initial set up phone is not locked to the "bind" it is/was merely a tool to set it up.

You can only do the "bind"/link process once. Once done you will not be presented with a qr code again as the car is already linked to an account.

You can use multiple devices to communicate with the car using the same account user ID and password via the app. This helps, for example, if you are a new phone every year type of person, if your phone is lost/stolen/dies on you, or having two or more drivers sharing the car

Only one active user can communicate with the car at any one time. Any new device logins will force out the current/active/previous login.

There is no method of checking any problems at the MG infrastructure end as of yet. You may experience communication problems occasionally without any clear reason, remembering you need to be in an area where the cars esim can get a good signal in the first place.

The cars communication can currently can go to sleep occasionally, you need to physically unlock the car etc.to reactivate it.

If I'm reading the app' charging screen correctly, it looks like I can remote unlock the cable after I stop the charge?
That would make sharing chargers at work a lot easier! (No need to run outside in the pouring rain to unlock the cable)

FYI new members

Once your account is set up ensure you note the password. Getting account password reset is a real pain so take heed

This is the situation I'm currently stuck with. Was working ok until my old phone packed in and I reinstalled the app in my new one.
Won't let me login with what I'm 99% sure are the correct details. Claims it has sent a password reset link but nothing is ever received.
Sure missing the ability to preheat for 10 mins in the current Arctic blast 🥶

It's the 1% that does it to your mind...upper case, lower case, special character inserted , number missed, did I use the correct email address or 😱....checked spam nothing there....what to do next...

I wonder what the alternative route is....dealer probably but 🤷‍♂️

Annoyingly when I first registered I used just my phone number, I’ve since forgotten the password and the “forgot password” section never sends me a verification text message despite it saying “ successfully sent “.

Anyone successfully reset their password that had initially registered with their phone number ?

I’ve tried MG uk to no avail, tried my dealer but they have let me down as “they don’t deal with the app” well who does ?
Did you manage to get this sorted?

Did you manage to get this sorted?
Yep, but not in a way you expect.

Basically MG UK can’t do anything on the phone ( spoke to a few different people ) I had to email MG UK instead and asked them to remove the binding from my car so I could use my “New” MG account. After a few days they did it.

I still don’t know if the broken verification sms text is still broken, I used my email address for my second MG account now and have the password written down somewhere safe.

Yep, but not in a way you expect.

Basically MG UK can’t do anything on the phone ( spoke to a few different people ) I had to email MG UK instead and asked them to remove the binding from my car so I could use my “New” MG account. After a few days they did it.

I still don’t know if the broken verification sms text is still broken, I used my email address for my second MG account now and have the password written down somewhere safe.
Glad to hear you got sorted. That’s quite the roundabout way to do it though, they really need to better implement password recovery…

Glad to hear you got sorted. That’s quite the roundabout way to do it though, they really need to better implement password recovery…
Agreed, was very stressful at the time as I had rang around my local dealers first and was waiting for calls back off the dealer service managers who were trying to get their head around my situation - password recovery verification not working.

I’m glad someone had put a post for the newbies to register with their email address and save the password somewhere safe immediately ( can easily be forgotten about when you are collecting your new car and doing the handover / initially binding with the salesman )

Hi,
My MG4 was previously bound ok (totally faff but got there) to my iPhone. After recent recalls for updates the app no longer recognises the vehicle. I can log in to app on phone and scan QR code on car screen to log in on car. But when I try to add vehicle on app it requires another QR code. I can only see 'log in' QR code on the car's screen. When logged in on the car's screen there is no 'add vehicle option' showing as various videos show. Any suggestions please?

Hi,
My MG4 was previously bound ok (totally faff but got there) to my iPhone. After recent recalls for updates the app no longer recognises the vehicle. I can log in to app on phone and scan QR code on car screen to log in on car. But when I try to add vehicle on app it requires another QR code. I can only see 'log in' QR code on the car's screen. When logged in on the car's screen there is no 'add vehicle option' showing as various videos show. Any suggestions please?
Is the infotainment screen in dark mode? If it is change it to light mode and see if the second QR code is visible.

Thanks Ian, I had read about that but couldn't find the setting. And the manual on the infotainment screen seems to be in 4 point font so I gave up trying to locate it! Where can I find the setting? It's a Trophy btw if that matters.
Many thanks for your help.

Thanks Ian, I had read about that but couldn't find the setting. And the manual on the infotainment screen seems to be in 4 point font so I gave up trying to locate it! Where can I find the setting? It's a Trophy btw if that matters.
Many thanks for your help.
You can either download the manual here

Or order a printed version here

To change from dark mode to light mode:
Swipe left on the infotainment screen, then Settings, then General, 3rd line from the top in Background auto settings select light.

Thanks again - I'll download a proper copy.

The screen was on light already. It's not that I can't see a QR code that's there, it just has me logged in on the car system and shows a screen with 4 tabs (Account/Travel Plan/POI/Message). On the Account tab there are boxes showing Brand/model/colour/VIN/Contact Person/Contact Phone. In some videos it shows the screen and where the avatar circle appears on the left there is an option to 'add vehicle'. This does not appear on my screen?

There is no selectable option apart from logging out.

On my phone app, it wants me to scan a QR code to add a vehicle. There is no vehicle appearing in the app.

Thanks again - I'll download a proper copy.

The screen was on light already. It's not that I can't see a QR code that's there, it just has me logged in on the car system and shows a screen with 4 tabs (Account/Travel Plan/POI/Message). On the Account tab there are boxes showing Brand/model/colour/VIN/Contact Person/Contact Phone. In some videos it shows the screen and where the avatar circle appears on the left there is an option to 'add vehicle'. This does not appear on my screen?

There is no selectable option apart from logging out.

On my phone app, it wants me to scan a QR code to add a vehicle. There is no vehicle appearing in the app.
Have a look at this You tube video and see if it helps. He binds the car to the phone at the 3:08 mark.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 498 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back