Improving interior lighting in MG4

This as already been stated above and it’s a maybe, but in there there will I’m sure be a permanent 12volt supply I would think maybe handy for a dash cam supply with a small 3.5 socket installed Tom please take note when you did your dash cam fit.
Les
That could be a great idea!

My understanding is that these were all created by the SIAC VW Group China one way or another
In the MG ZS EV MK1 there were some VW / Audi cosmetic parts used such as the outter air vents, steering wheel and indicator stalks but my understanding is that's all, the underpinnings are SAIC completely.

VW had to go into partnership with a Chinese firm to be allowed to sell vehicles there and they partnered with SAIC to create SAIC VW whom manufacturers and sells all VWs and Audi's in China

My bulbs arrive today from Amazon could not believe the package only needed a branch but they cut down a tree.
Les

9470174B-D849-4637-B76F-AEE937432BAE.jpeg

I fitted my bulbs yesterday left switch turned on to make sure right way around.
of course in the process I got start of it in was working but pr to much so the fitting went up inside.yes on them both have not yet tried to pull back in to place but as they are both working well will leave alone for a minute so much better

I fitted my bulbs yesterday left switch turned on to make sure right way around.
of course in the process I got start of it in was working but pr to much so the fitting went up inside.yes on them both have not yet tried to pull back in to place but as they are both working well will leave alone for a minute so much better

I came here to say this also. The way to make sure this doesn't happen is to wiggle the bulb out of place and when inserting the new one also. I ll need a pointed nose plier to try and pull it back out. This happened to the driver side light for me, so I wiggled the passenger side into place.

Even with the one on the passenger side, the illumination is soooo much better.

I came here to say this also. The way to make sure this doesn't happen is to wiggle the bulb out of place and when inserting the new one also. I ll need a pointed nose plier to try and pull it back out. This happened to the driver side light for me, so I wiggled the passenger side into place.

Even with the one on the passenger side, the illumination is soooo much better.
Or see one of the posts about removing the whole unit if you can't grab them with pliers. I had the same problem And just ended up doing this to resolve it Improving interior lighting in MG4

Just gotten round to fitting some LEDs bulbs into the wife’s MG4 and my MG5 and quite a difference it makes also.

Picture below of MG4 before I change them Front
B2DB94B5-1E1C-4A8E-B1F8-C983FCC4D226.jpeg

And the rear

0BF49AEC-C9F9-4C3D-8EFD-D247AB075DB1.jpeg

After LEDs are fitted
Front
73A6525A-27AB-4501-B5A5-7613E4A64761.jpeg

And remembering there is no light fitting in the rear of the car but the front is now that bright that it throws enough light in to the rear seats well enough to see the seat belt buckles so has too enable you to fasten them
2071F713-676A-478A-9472-2F1D0C1D3BD6.jpeg

I have posted the pictures of the MG5 in the MG5 section so go take a look
Les

Last edited:
Just gotten round to fitting some LEDs bulbs into the wife’s MG4 and my MG5 and quite a difference it makes also.

Picture below of MG4 before I change them Front
View attachment 16536

And the rear

View attachment 16537
After LEDs are fitted
Front
View attachment 16538
And remembering there is no light fitting in the rear of the car but the front is now that bright that it throws enough light in to the rear seats well enough to see the seat belt buckles so has too enable you to fasten them
View attachment 16539
I have posted the pictures of the MG5 in the MG5 section so go take a look
Les
Les, excellent upgrade, which bulbs did you use?

tsedge and Siteguru that’s correct if you go back to #1 where I posted a video Toms Mans Shed there you will get all you need to know plus a tiny tip which is not in the video his here in this picture so as the bulb holders are quite tight to push the bulbs into I just applied a bit of pressure to the side of them with a screwdriver tip and then gently wiggle the new bulbs in there is not much space and the bulbs need to go in as far as possible to get the cover back on and not touching them the MG 4 was easy really but the 5 was a tad more difficult and on that car I had to remove the light fitting to get them in one other thing to get the lens off in the video Tom used a plastic tool I found a thin screwdriver and a Stanley knife was better to get if off but nice and easy does it, it is tight and the lens could brake.
Les
CC5CB650-B52E-48C7-860C-71B888587557.jpeg

tsedge and Siteguru that’s correct if you go back to #1 where I posted a video Toms Mans Shed there you will get all you need to know plus a tiny tip which is not in the video his here in this picture so as the bulb holders are quite tight to push the bulbs into I just applied a bit of pressure to the side of them with a screwdriver tip and then gently wiggle the new bulbs in there is not much space and the bulbs need to go in as far as possible to get the cover back on and not touching them the MG 4 was easy really but the 5 was a tad more difficult and on that car I had to remove the light fitting to get them in one other thing to get the lens off in the video Tom used a plastic tool I found a thin screwdriver and a Stanley knife was better to get if off but nice and easy does it, it is tight and the lens could brake.
Les
View attachment 16550
Thanks Les, really helpful and much appreciated.

They look very white. Wonder if there are bulps with a warmer color tone?
I think you will find most automotive bulbs are on the whiter side unlike your home lighting where common today is from 2700 kelvin to 6500 kelvin but in this case of car interior light you will find the standard fit capsule bulbs are warm white, to warm for me which is why they have been changed.
Les

Last edited:
Just replaced the interior (courtesy) lights on mine - took <15 minutes all in ... and that included having to removed the cluster assembly (because I was pushing with a screwdriver in the wrong place so one of the holders popped out) 🙄🤦‍♂️

But as I had the cluster assembly off, I took a photo of the back it ... so those wondering what it looks like on an SE SR ... :)

Whole assembly:
1680780263738.png

Close up of PCB:
1680780301016.png

PS - removing the cluster assembly was very easy; open the glasses pocket, remove 2 screws, and gently pull down so that the metal spring clips clear the headlining. Then push forward slightly so the plastic retainer tags clear the headlining. And with the cluster assembly off I could easily just press on the back of the lamp holders to stop them popping out again. :)

Just replaced the interior (courtesy) lights on mine - took <15 minutes all in ... and that included having to removed the cluster assembly (because I was pushing with a screwdriver in the wrong place so one of the holders popped out) 🙄🤦‍♂️

But as I had the cluster assembly off, I took a photo of the back it ... so those wondering what it looks like on an SE SR ... :)

Whole assembly:
View attachment 16671

Close up of PCB:
View attachment 16672

PS - removing the cluster assembly was very easy; open the glasses pocket, remove 2 screws, and gently pull down so that the metal spring clips clear the headlining. Then push forward slightly so the plastic retainer tags clear the headlining. And with the cluster assembly off I could easily just press on the back of the lamp holders to stop them popping out again. :)
Did exactly the same yesterday, takes minutes & a lot less hassle trying to do in situ

Anyone run a feed off this unit and fitted lights in the back yet ?

I recall seeing someone post about an adaptor that plugs in to that white Molex connector and enables a power feed to other systems - e.g. to give a feed to a dashcam. I could see that being quite unobtrusive.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 507 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back