Improving interior lighting in MG4

Eek. I've got a problem. When pushing the new LED into the socket it fell through the plastic molding. I've tried for 15 minutes poking it back into place but the clips on the side are preventing it getting back to its original Position.

I think I need to remove the plastic panel which holds the glasses holder, lights and speaker.

Anybody got any ideas what I should do?

20230120_105838.jpg

Eek. I've got a problem. When pushing the new LED into the socket it fell through the plastic molding. I've tried for 15 minutes poking it back into place but the clips on the side are preventing it getting back to its original Position.

I think I need to remove the plastic panel which holds the glasses holder, lights and speaker.

Anybody got any ideas what I should do?

View attachment 14625
See if this helps

Thanks for the video. Ordered straight after watching the video late last night and they were dispatched almost straight away, arrived and fitted in the car in a matter of minutes and can already see they’re going to make a big difference at night.

See if this helps

Cheers. I removed the sunglasses screws earlier but was a little worried the side clips holding it up would damage it. I'll have ago layer on

Cheers. I removed the sunglasses screws earlier but was a little worried the side clips holding it up would damage it. I'll have ago layer on
Yup - I had the light fitting disappear too. Thankfully I managed to remove the plastic ‘cover’ by removing those screws and then gently prizing the plastic away from the roof lining. Most definitely the hardest part was the spring clips at the sides of where the glasses case is. in getting the plastic out one side spring arm was a little bent out, but I just pushed it back into shape before pushing all the plastic trim back and it located itself fine. One tip - make sure you test your new LEDs before putting the trim back as they could be the wrong way round and you’d need to reseat it to get it to work. I have to say they are a great ‘mod’ as make a massive difference

I managed to pull them back through the hole with long nose pliers. To get them in I found pushing perpendicular with a finger against the side of the holder, whilst gently (with a bit of a wiggle) pushing in the LED, worked with relative ease (I tried with tools to start with, but was getting no where)
1674225496925.jpeg

Well, my bulbs turned up, they'd been left iny next door neighbour's recycling bin - thanks Amazon!
Just fitted them, no problem and bright!
Just a couple of tips, first before pushing the led bulbs in, switch the light on first then start to position the bulb. If it lights great, if not, flip it over.
Second, see when installing the new bulbs, to save pushing the fitting back into the housing, rock them in bit by bit. They'll go in without pushing too hard then.
Regarding the fade out, it is only on the centre switch and seems very digital, i.e. stepped, so I think it's not pwm but a digital reduction in voltage.

Well, my bulbs turned up, they'd been left iny next door neighbour's recycling bin - thanks Amazon!
Just fitted them, no problem and bright!
Just a couple of tips, first before pushing the led bulbs in, switch the light on first then start to position the bulb. If it lights great, if not, flip it over.
Second, see when installing the new bulbs, to save pushing the fitting back into the housing, rock them in bit by bit. They'll go in without pushing too hard then.
Regarding the fade out, it is only on the centre switch and seems very digital, i.e. stepped, so I think it's not pwm but a digital reduction in voltage.
It must have been "national deliver amazon packages to the wrong house day". My package went to the wrong house.

Wow - its literally like night & day (before and after), now its dark - big shout out to Tom's Shed channel. Have you had a look at what else he upto! - he powers the whole shed with a 2KW oil radiator, computer & Telly , off the MG4 - which got his shed upto 34 Deg C after 4 hours of running (in trail mode) - around 47mins if you dont have time - use his affiliate link for the bulbs - if you can, to show our appreciation.

Last edited:
.... just a little warning as Tom in the video noted the new LEDs are slightly thicker, so are stiff in getting them in, I've managed to push the holder up in its hole - I'm sure I'll resolve it (but am waiting for the temperature to rise a bit today!!)
I did the same, even though Tom said to be careful 🤦. Then couldn't grab it with the pliers I had.
So more investigation and remove the 2 screws in the sunglasses holder, the use the spudger tool to work your way back down the side of the whole unit and it frees up and pivots out at the rear end. Grabbed the offending lamp holder put it back in place, fixed the leds in while it was out to avoid any further trouble and put it all back in place. Was quite simple and no force needed at any stage. Obviously copy me at your own risk, I found it easier that getting the plastic defuser out.
Hope that helps and the LEDs are way better than the original 🙂

EDIT just seen the link back to the other 😉, and the other helpful post above that explains exactly the same ☺️. See the picture 2 posts below to see where the metal clips are that are the thing to be most careful of when removing.

Last edited:
I did the same, even though Tom said to be careful 🤦. Then couldn't grab it with the pliers I had.
So more investigation and remove the 2 screws in the sunglasses holder, the use the spudger tool to work your way back down the side of the whole unit and it frees up and pivots out at the rear end. Grabbed the offending lamp holder put it back in place, fixed the leds in while it was out to avoid any further trouble and put it all back in place. Was quite simple and no force needed at any stage. Obviously copy me at your own risk, I found it easier that getting the plastic defuser out.

EDIT just seen the link back to the other 😉, and the other helpful post above that explains exactly the same ☺️

I managed the rescue the situation with long pliers - but what is up there?, do you reckon that one could run a fly lead to the back of the car?, for more interior lights? (not that it may need it-but it is daft to have no lights in the back given the dark interior in the 1st place ( I've 2 LED's spare - which need a home!).

I managed the rescue the situation with long pliers - but what is up there?, do you reckon that one could run a fly lead to the back of the car?, for more interior lights? (not that it may need it-but it is daft to have no lights in the back given the dark interior in the 1st place ( I've 2 LED's spare - which need a home!).
This any help to understand what's there and your options.

Attachments

• PXL_20230120_183055975~2.jpg
    PXL_20230120_183055975~2.jpg
    461.6 KB · Views: 223

EDIT just seen the link back to the other 😉, and the other helpful post above that explains exactly the same ☺️
Brilliant - to be honest I was expecting the traditional, aka agricultural circuit boards from 10-30 years ago - I've only ever had VW's - yes I do know that the ID3 and MG4 have the same underpinnings (albeit even I can see where one would splice in to get light in the rear))- this is more consumer modern electronics! - Mmmm!

Brilliant - to be honest I was expecting the traditional, aka agricultural circuit boards from 10-30 years ago - I've only ever had VW's - yes I do know that the ID3 and MG4 have the same underpinnings - this is more consumer modern electronics! - Mmmm!
The MG4 bears no relation to the ID3, other than being in the same vehicle class and thus being a direct competitor. AFAIK they share no common components whatsoever.

This any help to understand what's there and your options.
That’s a handy photo. Looks like it would be really easy to piggy back off the front lights. Then, using a flexible cable rod or similar to feed the cable along to the rear. Open a small hole and fit a lightweight light fitting. Who’s gonna be the guinea pig?

That’s a handy photo. Looks like it would be really easy to piggy back off the front lights. Then, using a flexible cable rod or similar to feed the cable along to the rear. Open a small hole and fit a lightweight light fitting. Who’s gonna be the guinea pig?
This as already been stated above and it’s a maybe, but in there there will I’m sure be a permanent 12volt supply I would think maybe handy for a dash cam supply with a small 3.5 socket installed Tom please take note when you did your dash cam fit.
Les

sold out! will need to check again in a few days - it might be the first accessory to arrive after the car!

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 532 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back