Improving interior lighting in MG4

Did exactly the same yesterday, takes minutes & a lot less hassle trying to do in situ

Anyone run a feed off this unit and fitted lights in the back yet ?
I recall seeing someone post about an adaptor that plugs in to that white Molex connector and enables a power feed to other systems - e.g. to give a feed to a dashcam. I could see that being quite unobtrusive.
Hi site well done maybe I was lucky as I didn’t need to take it all out only the lens but if you could find that about the adaptor it might be useful to know about.
Torryhun I did take the whole fitting out on the 4 as I have said above but on my 5 I had to and above the head liner was a maybe 25/30 mm think foam like substance as I was thing of perhaps the same thing fitting a socket of some type for a dash cam no need for lights in the rear of the 5 as they are already there as standard don’t know if this foam thing is in the roof of the four but could be which would make getting a cable to the rear a bit more difficult but probably doable.
Les

As the cluster assembly comes out very easily, it should be easy (for someone considering doing this) to check. :)

I can't remember where I saw that plug adaptor - might have been in the MG4 group on Facebook. A quick search on AliExpress doesn't bring anything up.

Found it - it was this post in the Dashcams thread:

Definitely a worthy upgrade, and straight forward to do.
20230407_143220.jpg

Found it - it was this post in the Dashcams thread:

Well done guru now I have seen it I remember see it myself
Les

Managed to change the bulbs easily enough yesterday afternoon. However, I think for me they're a bit too bright and cold. And my wife hates them!

We're both used to warm halogens in our old cars.

I do see the benefit of having some extra light in the cabin though. I'm likely to order some warmer LEDs with a slightly reduced lumen level from Amazon I think as a compromise. I will try to take some photos for comparison purposes.

Managed to change the bulbs easily enough yesterday afternoon. However, I think for me they're a bit too bright and cold. And my wife hates them!

I do see the benefit of having some extra light in the cabin though. I'm likely to order some warmer LEDs with a slightly reduced lumen level from Amazon I think as a compromise. I will try to take some photos for comparison purposes.
Yes I felt they are a bit floodlight intense and bright white, there's probably a nice middle ground. Will look forward to what you find.

These are meant to be on the warmer side of the light spectrum. I've been meaning to buy some myself, but they are a little pricey.

Are there any other similar bulbs on the car? I ask because in EU I can only get a pack of 10.. which is too much to replace the 2 interior top ones. (waiting for delivery of my MG4).

To be honest what you say you want above is what the car comes with so I would just not bother changing them and save yourself some money.
Les

Just replaced the interior (courtesy) lights on mine - took <15 minutes all in ... and that included having to removed the cluster assembly (because I was pushing with a screwdriver in the wrong place so one of the holders popped out) 🙄🤦‍♂️

But as I had the cluster assembly off, I took a photo of the back it ... so those wondering what it looks like on an SE SR ... :)

Whole assembly:
View attachment 16671

Close up of PCB:
View attachment 16672

PS - removing the cluster assembly was very easy; open the glasses pocket, remove 2 screws, and gently pull down so that the metal spring clips clear the headlining. Then push forward slightly so the plastic retainer tags clear the headlining. And with the cluster assembly off I could easily just press on the back of the lamp holders to stop them popping out again. :)
Which way is towards the front/rear of the car?

The big bit at the bottom of the image is the back of the sunglasses holder, so that bit is towards the windscreen. (The mounting screws are inside there. The other end of the assembly just has a tab which slides above the roof liner - locate that in place, push the other end up so the spring clips engage, then refit the screws. Disassembly is obviously the opposite).

I recently did the front courtesy light upgrade, the LED makes so much difference in comparison to the halogen jobbies, and feels more modern and sleek.

Took me about 90 seconds all in, used an old credit card, wedged between the clear plastic cover and the housing and it popped straight out. Old bulbs out, new ones in. Night and Day difference, I don't need to add rear passenger lights at all now.

Word of warning, the bulbs I got were very long, and just fit in the space when the clear plastic cover is re-installed, a very tight fit.

The big bit at the bottom of the image is the back of the sunglasses holder, so that bit is towards the windscreen. (The mounting screws are inside there. The other end of the assembly just has a tab which slides above the roof liner - locate that in place, push the other end up so the spring clips engage, then refit the screws. Disassembly is obviously the opposite).
Really helpful, thank you!

Took this part off today, really easy, although the little metal spring clips are easily bent out of shape. Easily bent back with needle nose pliers though. Where the tabs slide into the roof liner is a definite point of possible rattles as it’s plastic direct on plastic. There’s room for a little bit of felt/insulating tape or whatever which should prevent that happening, and is an easy fix too.

To be honest what you say you want above is what the car comes with so I would just not bother changing them and save yourself some money.
Les

You're probably right with this Les. We're going to leave it now we're in the spring months anyway and revisit it come the Autumn.

Whereabouts in Wigan are you? We're Standish.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 501 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back