In Line Timer & Granny Charger?

I have had three 7kw chargers fail since December (one was four years old, so out of warranty and the other two were Wallbox units and I'm still trying to get my money back from Wallbox). I have decided to not bother with anymore of them. I'm now using the granny charger and a timer switch. I simply charge the car overnight, on Economy 7, whenever it falls below 50%. Simple and effective.

I have had three 7kw chargers fail since December (one was four years old, so out of warranty and the other two were Wallbox units and I'm still trying to get my money back from Wallbox). I have decided to not bother with anymore of them. I'm now using the granny charger and a timer switch. I simply charge the car overnight, on Economy 7, whenever it falls below 50%. Simple and effective.
What was the cause of the failure of the dumb wall box and what make was it ?.
Can I have a guess, was it a Rolec by any chance ????.
No problem using the Granny, they just restrict how much electric you are able to pull on a timed "Off Peak" rate.
The larger the pack the more difficult it is to take advantage of the cheaper rate when using a slower Granny unit.
This is assuming you ARE on a cheaper "Off Peak" tariff that is !.
It's just a real shame that you have the wiring etc set up, but are not utilising it ?.
Having the facility to charge from the wall box and then have the "Back Up" of a Granny lead is a great place to be.
Charging from home, makes EV ownership SO easy.
My OCD likes a back up plan ! :ROFLMAO: .

What was the cause of the failure of the dumb wall box and what make was it ?.
Can I have a guess, was it a Rolec by any chance ????.
No problem using the Granny, they just restrict how much electric you are able to pull on a timed "Off Peak" rate.
The larger the pack the more difficult it is to take advantage of the cheaper rate when using a slower Granny unit.
This is assuming you ARE on a cheaper "Off Peak" tariff that is !.
It's just a real shame that you have the wiring etc set up, but are not utilising it ?.
Having the facility to charge from the wall box and then have the "Back Up" of a Granny lead is a great place to be.
Charging from home, makes EV ownership SO easy.
My OCD likes a back up plan ! :ROFLMAO: .
The Wallbox (that is the make) will charge for 4 minutes and then shuts down. Yes l am on a "cheap" night-time rate. If I charge for the full seven hours it tops the battery up by approx 25%.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom