Infotainment screen

I guess if you use Google Maps via Android Auto (or the equivalent from that other manufacturer), and the infotainment screen phutz's out, it will at least still be running on your 'phone. I've just hooked onto this thread, as I had a brief blank screen a couple of days ago, so am a bit concerned, now. Still, if there're software updates, maybe they'll get it sorted. After all, how many of these MG/Roewe cars have they flogged now? The mothership must be aware there's a problem...

I guess if you use Google Maps via Android Auto (or the equivalent from that other manufacturer), and the infotainment screen phutz's out, it will at least still be running on your 'phone. I've just hooked onto this thread, as I had a brief blank screen a couple of days ago, so am a bit concerned, now. Still, if there're software updates, maybe they'll get it sorted. After all, how many of these MG/Roewe cars have they flogged now? The mothership must be aware there's a problem...
They have been aware of this problem for a long time.
Strangely enough, we where out in the car today, taking a 125 mile joy riding.
A one point in the journey, I noticed the screen turn black and the green / orange / blue front screen collapsed right down to the very bottom on the screen.
You could just about see the three colours, about a 10mm coloured band, just about visible running across the bottom of the screen.
The radio was still playing at this point and my phone was NOT connected via a USB.
Then, after about ten seconds, the screen recovered back to full size again without touching anything !.
I don't use my phone for navigation purposes because I have chosen not to have a monthly contract.
I do have a fairly new Garmin portable Sat Nav unit that we can use in both cars, because my wife's car is not equipped with a Sat Nav system.
This could be used as a "Back Up" unit for the ZS EV unit of course, but how many back bits and pieces should you be expected to carry !.
Maybe I should introduce it to the following friends :-
The space saver wheel / battery booster pack / Type 2 charging cable and of course, the necessary 10mm spanner ! o_O.

I've still got the old TomTom so it may not hurt to keep it in the boot for emergencies.

I use my tomtom in preference to the onboard satnav because I'm comfortable with how it works, know it's up to date with maps/speed cams/charge points and the traffic reports are good.

The only thing that sucks big time is Tomtom's voice recognition (

Hi again lovemyev you say you don’t have phone contact but don’t know if you are aware you can down load google maps and use them in car without using any data at all I didn’t realise this fact until a few months ago when my nephew tried to show me have to use CarPlay but it’s handy to have I think I personally get away with using the in car satnav and find it’s quite good well that’s just my opinion of it I know lots of people would much sooner use CarPlay etc but for what I do I don’t find much difference but as I have said many times on here I am not tech savvy at all but I like to try new things out also I think you should add a Road Atlas to your list just in case.
Les

I use my tomtom in preference to the onboard satnav because I'm comfortable with how it works, know it's up to date with maps/speed cams/charge points and the traffic reports are good.

The only thing that sucks big time is Tomtom's voice recognition (
Use what you are familiar with, is always the best policy my friend.
Just a shame don't you think, that you are forced to use a third party device, when the car has a integral unit built into the car ?.
What is the point of it being there if it does not work / perform in the manner it was intended ?.
It's got me beat alright !.
Yeah - The head units are slow and glitchy, this is old news, but the crashing is really not acceptable.
This has been reported by early adopters ( Owner / Test Drivers ) of the ZE EV since November 2019 almost 2 years ago now !.
Update :-
I am aware of the MG software ( MG 0020 ) update for the head units.
Cheers.

Last edited:
Hi again lovemyev you say you don’t have phone contact but don’t know if you are aware you can down load google maps and use them in car without using any data at all I didn’t realise this fact until a few months ago when my nephew tried to show me have to use CarPlay but it’s handy to have I think I personally get away with using the in car satnav and find it’s quite good well that’s just my opinion of it I know lots of people would much sooner use CarPlay etc but for what I do I don’t find much difference but as I have said many times on here I am not tech savvy at all but I like to try new things out also I think you should add a Road Atlas to your list just in case.
Les
Wow ..... Your right @Les burrows, I was not aware of that ?.
As you can gather, my mobile phone knowledge is not that great,I leave that type of stuff to my son who is able to get his phone to make the tea !.
Surly you must be using data when you are streaming live information back to your phone ???.
Hey ........ What the hell to I know !.
I am sure some kind member will comment to confirm / deny our understanding ( or NOT as the case maybe ).
No Pod Cast tonight Les ......... ??.
I have not received a reminder ?.

Hi again lovemyev you say you don’t have phone contact but don’t know if you are aware you can down load google maps and use them in car without using any data at all
For my Android phone I use Navmii which is free and resides entirely on the phone. Downloading and updating maps I do at home via WiFi, completely obviating the need for a phone signal. Maps are well updated and the navigation very good. My only criticism is that the estimated journey times are somewhat optimistic.

Navmii also knows about footpaths and has served me well walking in strange places.

I have a Tom Tom but can't get on with the little 5" screen.

Wow ..... Your right @Les burrows, I was not aware of that ?.
As you can gather, my mobile phone knowledge is not that great,I leave that type of stuff to my son who is able to get his phone to make the tea !.
Surly you must be using data when you are streaming live information back to your phone ???.
Hey ........ What the hell to I know !.
I am sure some kind member will comment to confirm / deny our understanding ( or NOT as the case maybe ).
No Pod Cast tonight Les ......... ??.
I have not received a reminder ?.
No your right pod cast off Stuart Wright’s family have had to Isolate as his son picked up the C19 at some club last week I think it was in Birmingham been pretty sick for a short while but now on the mend I believe.

And yeh your right some body will gives us the full low down on using the phone offline my as I said my nephew showed me but I have to admit I have forgotten a lot of it already car nav ok as long as it stays on
Les

No your right pod cast off Stuart Wright’s family have had to Isolate as his son picked up the C19 at some club last week I think it was in Birmingham been pretty sick for a short while but now on the mend I believe.

And yeh your right some body will gives us the full low down on using the phone offline my as I said my nephew showed me but I have to admit I have forgotten a lot of it already car nav ok as long as it stays on
Les
Wow ..... Glad to hear Stu and his family are now doing okay Les.
It is a very very worrying time !.
Hopefully when Stu feels comfortable to do so and only when he is good and ready, he will be able to resume with the Pod Cast's.
Take good care people, we have come a LONG way, but we are not out of the woods just yet !.

Last edited:
Use what you are familiar with, is always the best policy my friend.
Just a shame don't you think, that you are forced to use a third party device, when the car has a integral unit built into the car ?.
What is the point of it being there if it does not work / perform in the manner it was intended ?.
It - snip

The mg software is at least (free for a time) updatable via download on a usb stick once you have gone through the hoops of signing up. But I have yet to see an inbuilt sat nav that can compete with a 3rd party unit. Ease of use, add ons' like the tt's charger poi's, traffic reports and regular updates all free for life.

Car manufacturers seem to compete to build the clunkiest most user unfriendly infotainment systems. Tesla break the mold a bit but at a cost of £20-£30 thousand extra over a £2-£300 high end satnav....

The screen went blank on a trip out yesterday, but when I pressed the "home" button, it re-appeared. Mebbe it's just some form of errant screen-saver? :unsure: ;)

The screen went blank on a trip out yesterday, but when I pressed the "home" button, it re-appeared. Mebbe it's just some form of errant screen-saver? :unsure: ;)
On the ZS EV - The screen will sometimes recover on its own after about 15 - 20 seconds, other times it will completely reboot back to the MG logo on the screen.
Other times, you get a bit of a “Half Way House” situation where it completely falls on is arse and will over recover after and full power down and power back up again.
There is no consistency to when and how it is likely to crash.
It’s like a Tesco shopping trolley, it has a mind of its own 🤣.
Software bug 🐜 me thinks !.

Friday the 13th has struck! My infotainment system went blank after being stopped charging whilst we spent time at the beach. Wouldn’t re-boot after holding power button or work after stopping/starting car a few times. Will see if works tomorrow morning after car has properly gone to sleep. USB sockets not live either and no indicator sounds.

Wow don’t like the sound of that lot lucky5 hope it kicks in tomorrow for you or a dealer visit is on the cards next I think good luck with it fingers crossed
Les

Friday the 13th has struck! My infotainment system went blank after being stopped charging whilst we spent time at the beach. Wouldn’t re-boot after holding power button or work after stopping/starting car a few times. Will see if works tomorrow morning after car has properly gone to sleep. USB sockets not live either and no indicator sounds.
Mark - I am just wondering mate, how with the members name like "Lucky5".
This HAS to happen on ALL days, like Friday the 13th :eek: !!!!.
If the info unit does not recover itself in the morning, lift the bonnet and with a 10mm spanner, back of the securing nut on the clamp on the BLACK NEGATIVE terminal of the 12 volt battery.
Lift the clamp clear of the battery post and just move the clamp clear of the battery post.
Now LEAVE it disconnected o stand at the side of the battery post.
Leave it disconnected for about 20 mins.
Then, place the clamp firmly back over the battery post and tighten up the 10mm nut to secure the clamp.
Now boot up the car and try the info unit - Okay ?.
Now your your USB sockets should be working correctly again.
It's a bit like the CNT / ALT & DEL fix on a computer, for EV's !.
Oh ........ Now put the magic spanner in a safe place in the car !.
If this has failed ( I don't think it will ) then it's a call to the dealer.
If you need a 10mm spanner in a hurry, just look around for a ZS EV owner, I bet he has one in his car.
Ask me how I know ;) .
Good luck and let us know how you get on !.

Mark - I am just wondering mate, how with the members name like "Lucky5".
This HAS to happen on ALL days, like Friday the 13th :eek: !!!!.
If the info unit does not recover itself in the morning, lift the bonnet and with a 10mm spanner, back of the securing nut on the clamp on the BLACK NEGATIVE terminal of the 12 volt battery.
Lift the clamp clear of the battery post and just move the clamp clear of the battery post.
Now LEAVE it disconnected o stand at the side of the battery post.
Leave it disconnected for about 20 mins.
Then, place the clamp firmly back over the battery post and tighten up the 10mm nut to secure the clamp.
Now boot up the car and try the info unit - Okay ?.
Now your your USB sockets should be working correctly again.
It's a bit like the CNT / ALT & DEL fix on a computer, for EV's !.
Oh ........ Now put the magic spanner in a safe place in the car !.
If this has failed ( I don't think it will ) then it's a call to the dealer.
If you need a 10mm spanner in a hurry, just look around for a ZS EV owner, I bet he has one in his car.
Ask me how I know ;) .
Good luck and let us know how you get on !.
Hiya lovemyev I agree with what you have written here and hopefully it does the trick for lucky 5 mark I think it is.
But I can’t remember in all the post we have seen on this blank screen issue any body saying the have lost usb power and indicator sounds do you? As I said Hopefully the battery disconnect we cure it but my advice to mark is even if it does I would still give your dealer a ring and ask them to record fact in case it does this again.
Les

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom