Infrastructure rant- 1st long road trip disaster (long one)

As a matter of interest @Tom Hartley, did you come down all the way by motorway, that would account for the lower range ?
I believe the range is reduced by about 15% if you're at 70mph, so you'l probably get 130-140 miles.
Apologies if you think I was questioning your experience.....I wasn't.

I do question the assertion that 161 miles is not possible on a charge in any circumstances.....it is.

Hi and without wishing to continue the matter too far, I did think you were "questioning" and the 161 range based on the experience outlined was found not to be possible.

Hi and without wishing to continue the matter too far, I did think you were "questioning" and the 161 range based on the experience outlined was found not to be possible.
Fair enough....sorry if it sounded like a criticism.

However, your first sentence.....

The headline 161 mile range for the ZS EV is seemingly somewhat of a myth, whatever the season / temperature.

Just looks like the car is not possible of achieving that range when many on here have achieved it.

Apologies for the confusion.

Fair enough....sorry if it sounded like a criticism.

However, your first sentence.....

The headline 161 mile range for the ZS EV is seemingly somewhat of a myth, whatever the season / temperature.

Just looks like the car is not possible of achieving that range when many on here have achieved it.

Apologies for the confusion.
Maximum range is so dependant on so many factors.
There are massively different mpkWh people quote having honestly obtained.

One could validly say, in the most ideal weather conditions, I have got 5mpkWh on a journey. Some one else could quite validly in the same weather conditions quote they got less than 3MpkWh.
Driving at 30mph vs 60mph vs 70mph makes such a difference.
Driving with a very light right foot vs heavy right foot makes a big difference.

I think what matters when complaining or praising the car, is to compare it to other EVs out there.
It is a fact that the ZS has a smaller battery and has worse efficiency than most other similar EVs, but at the end of the day that is why the price is so much cheaper than other similar EVs.

It's folks (mine included) expectations that are were unfortunately not realistic before they purchased (probably their first) EV.
Despite my research; I did not at all appreciate how much effect the range is truely affected by weather conditions - 40% loss in the depths of winter compared to perfect summer conditions is quite possible, even rain causes reasonable loss; I did not realise how much difference the speed made - particularly because the ZS has the aero efficiency of a brick lol;
Until range figures are quoted in different conditions, new EVs owners are going to be disappointed! I would like to see an official range figure quoted for driving at 70mph at 0c.

If you are in Hull (as in Kingston upon Hull), then Whitby is only about 65 miles away depending on your route, so approx 130 return. No motorways, so you won't be burning through the electrons at 70 :) Within range of ZS EV at this time of year, if a little careful.

You could add a few miles at the Aldi 7kws for safety, or stop at Pickering or Malton or Scarborough depending on route for a rapid.
Also Lidl at Scaborough, Tesco at Scarborough,free.

TBH I expected more with the urban figure being quoted as 200 miles, but 160 ish is fine for my usage.

I fail to see the logic, or business sense in why a company would go to the expense of providing a charging point and then making it awkward for people to use and pay for.
Surely keeping points maintained, easy to use and pay is the best way of ensuring they get good return for their cost of installation!
Also persistent abusers, leaving their cars plugged in when charging is complete must be known to the companies and should be warned.
Again an occupied bay,where charging is completed, prevents someone else charging and thereby earning money for the provider.
Someone parked for hours at a pump in a filling station would be moved on very quickly. It’s time charging providers smarten their act for the good of all

Maximum range is so dependant on so many factors.
There are massively different mpkWh people quote having honestly obtained.

One could validly say, in the most ideal weather conditions, I have got 5mpkWh on a journey. Some one else could quite validly in the same weather conditions quote they got less than 3MpkWh.
Driving at 30mph vs 60mph vs 70mph makes such a difference.
Driving with a very light right foot vs heavy right foot makes a big difference.
Until range figures are quoted in different conditions, new EVs owners are going to be disappointed! I would like to see an official range figure quoted for driving at 70mph at 0c.
But surely reporting a range figure at 70mph, or any other speed, would be no more useful than the WLTP figures. As you quite rightly pointed out they depend on so many variables.

I'm sure you have seen this but in case you or others haven't, the EV database has more realistic data for all EVs, the data for the ZS EV is here MG ZS EV

This should be one of the first ports of call when checking out an EV.

But surely reporting a range figure at 70mph, or any other speed, would be no more useful than the WLTP figures. As you quite rightly pointed out they depend on so many variables.

I'm sure you have seen this but in case you or others haven't, the EV database has more realistic data for all EVs, the data for the ZS EV is here MG ZS EV

This should be one of the first ports of call when checking out an EV.
I can't remember if I looked on EV database before I bought the car or after.

What I was getting at was that I think manufacturers should have to show "worse case" figures, it's so important on an EV unlike on an ICE car with a big tank. 70mph & 0c seem like good figures to give a reasonable idea to buyers. It's the only way to properly inform all buyer and stop a lot of people from buying the wrong spec car.
The problem though, is doing a test in repeatable/therefore indoor conditions, how can the drag effect be involved.
It's probably something the government regulators should be looking into.

After having an ev for nearly 10 years Zap map is the way to go. Always have a few sites just in case of failure. Definitely the A1 is usually good for infrastructure and usually a few miles off it there are fast chargers available.

After driving evs for nearly 10 years Zap map is the way to go. A1 is usually great and many fast chargers available a few miles from it.

You need to stop for longer than 10 minutes, that is nowhere near long enough! Charge to 80% each and every time then continue your journey. I drive between my home in Scotland and Cheltenham, 650 miles round trip and have zero issues. Stick with Instavolt and Osprey mostly as they are the most reliable

I have a couple of fairly regular long journeys, Lancaster 250 miles and Exeter 300 miles . Both journeys I plan a stop about 125 miles in, which means one 20 min stop on an instavolt rapid and on to my destination with 20% or so left. I always plan the journey on Zap-Map with instavolt my go to charger, must have been lucky I guess as no problems yet ( well there’s the kiss of death if I ever heard it 😱😱)

Some hope on the horizon: Tesla has said they will open their Supercharger network to other EVs in about a year.
Always working, always convenient for journeys.
Before we get Tesla cars, we struggled with very poor charging infrastructure.
Hold on! With Tesla and Gridserve you will be well-served!

Hmmm, that saga is making me wonder whether going for an MG5 is really a good decision. Fortunately nowadays I rarely do long journeys, but I would seriously consider using an ICE car instead. Does it imply that you really need to have an account with each provider prior to setting off, as you won't know which ones will be available (I understand that new chargers have to accept contactless payment) ?
So I went from Grantham to Oxford and back (270 miles) in MG5 with one charge at Abingdon for about 30 mins using Instavolt because they nearly always have more than one charger and are ultra reliable. No problem at all. I also went from Grantham to Castle Douglas with 2 charges at Thirsk and Dumfries no problem, again Instavolt.

Hi
I feel your frustration
I have been driving EV for 4.5 years and used to travel from South to Yorkshire every week. My latest nightmare was a few months ago in Weymouth and every BP/Polar charger that I went for had issues to a point that I drove to Portland with only 10% charge in the tank and used the Podpoint charger and cancelled my BP/Polar membership for good after paying them £7.85 each month for all those years

Good evening
We planned a similar journey from South Lincs to Edinburgh yesterday. ABRP planned two stops. One short stop, 16mins at Wetherby then a further 32mins just north of Newcastle! This is our first long journey. Wetherby was an absolute nightmare! Three parking bays for 6 chargers. Two spaces taken by people waiting to reach 100%! One just started. Several other vehicles waiting. Nowhere to park as the whole place was heaving, people losing their tempers etc etc. So decided to drive further up the A1. Found a charger at a farm shop. £1 per kWh!!! available but incredibly slow! Put 7kw in for insurance. Carried on to Washington North. 4 empty bays, plugged straight in, tapped credit card, reasonably fast charge for 1 hour up to 95%! About to disconnect when the charger switched off with a clunk! Ok, disconnected, packed up ready to leave, car wouldn’t restart due to battery fault showing on dash display!!! PANIC!!! Tried twice, same result, then thought, try computer reset method, turned off, both out of car, lock it up, wait a few seconds, open car it started perfectly no fault messages, continue drive to Edinburgh! Relief! Nearly 300 miles covered, mostly at motorway speeds, MG5 loaded with holiday luggage and two adults, average 3.9 per kw. Very pleased with the result but better planning required for return journey!
I come a few miles off the A1 to use the Instavolt at Thirsk ( 4 x 50kW Rapids) only thing to note is that they are on southbound so you go 1 mile further on northbound and up and over road and down onto southbound. Also next to a garage and a Starbucks which is handy. I have come to the conclusion that the solution is Instavolt, and also go for where there are 50 kW chargers because all the people with the expensive Audis etc won't go there because they want the faster 125 kW chargers.

I fail to see the logic, or business sense in why a company would go to the expense of providing a charging point and then making it awkward for people to use and pay for.
Surely keeping points maintained, easy to use and pay is the best way of ensuring they get good return for their cost of installation!
Also persistent abusers, leaving their cars plugged in when charging is complete must be known to the companies and should be warned.
Again an occupied bay,where charging is completed, prevents someone else charging and thereby earning money for the provider.
Someone parked for hours at a pump in a filling station would be moved on very quickly. It’s time charging providers smarten their act for the good of all
I think that they should automatically apply a surcharge after 60 minutes connection time by the minute of £2 per minute, and over 90% on all rapids by the kW of £5 per kW. That variable charging would sort it out!

How hard would it be on rapids or any other charger to say if your plugged in after 50 minutes price per KWH goes up to something ridiculous to deter over stayers, if still plugged in after full charge this switched to a per minute plugged in charge?

Would deter the inconsiderates.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom