• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Install a home charger or make do with Granny cable?

Hi Simon,
Sorry you are asking the wrong person with me. I have only driven the car a couple of times and on both occasions couldn't read the instrument panel as I didn't have my reading glasses with me !!
I am really enjoying the car though.
It is a fantastic driving experience.

I cant believe the car wasn't fully charged when you collected the car from the dealer:( my dealer has said the car will be checked and all updates done if not already done clean and fully charged when I collect it.:)

On home charger my dealer got pod point to contact us , which they did I choose the charger as I paid for it myself it was very strange I look on line paid for it then got the forms to complete to claim grant.
then I had to wait for up to 10 days to find out if I was low or high risk of covid-19 and they would not talk to me on the phone until after the 10 days !!. Then they would tell me when it was going to be installed and could be up to 4 weeks after the ten days. I wasn't happy :mad: to wait 10 days to be told it could be longer as the car will be with me long before then. So i call or another company to fit the same charger and they are doing it next Thursday but they are dearer which again is very poor but I wanted it installed before getting the car.
I have to say the vagueness to give a date for fitting was unreal but could be the time of the year with new car reg number coming out.:unsure:

Just wanted to say that I'm part of the new reg problem and I'm sorry there might be a few of us.

If it makes you feel any better I'm receiving my eZS before having my home charging point installed. Only by four days but still I don't intend to charge at home frequently.

The rain on my parade is my supply. I'm entitled to a free upgrade to 80amp, but npower want to change entry point as well. This means I have to pay an electrician to connect consumer units and wait about 6-8 weeks. I'm happy because its a lot of work and my contribution is minimal to be fair. I told them to go ahead with charger install because I would never charge during day.

I'm sorry pod point has messed you around @Oldgrice but things are difficult as you've noticed (covid, September). Hang in there, its worth it and dont worry about 7kW home charge.

The car should have been fully charged at collection from dealer. Poor customer service . I used granny charger until Pod Point put in 7 kw point and did a fantastic job.

Yes I did think that.
Anyway as an update 100 miles in.
Absolutely loving the car.
I am however having a bit of trouble starting the car sometimes. Could be I am out of sequence pressing start button and depressing brake pedal. Maybe because I havnt inserted seat belt before starting somewhere along the line I am doing something wrong.

Yes I did think that.
Anyway as an update 100 miles in.
Absolutely loving the car.
I am however having a bit of trouble starting the car sometimes. Could be I am out of sequence pressing start button and depressing brake pedal. Maybe because I havnt inserted seat belt before starting somewhere along the line I am doing something wrong.
You don't have to fasten your seat belt to start the car but you do have to press and hold the brake pedal down before pushing the start button and keep the brake pedal pressed until "READY" appears on the screen.

Thank you Mark for the advice.
Wife and mother in law came out to admire new car and see me off. Gave them a good laugh when I couldnt get it started

I have only charged my car (admittedly with a slightly smaller battery than the MG) with the granny cable for over 18 months, now (except on a very small number of long distance journeys). But then I'm only doing maybe 80 miles a week. I'm tending to charge once a week, over night with the cable running under the garage door. It's fine and I couldn't justify having a home charger right now. Previously I had a Zappi connected to solar panels, but change of circumstances and have coped fine without.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom