Insurance

Fireboy

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Had the call from dealer this afternoon and informed new MG4 would be ready for collection this evening, we contacted insurance company to swap insurance and they could not find car it on their database so could not insure. After contacting them 3 more times we asked to speak to supervisor, he eventually went to another provider and came back with a quote for £1500 a little up on previous insurance of £240.
We will take MG temporary insurance out tomorrow £25 for 5 days.
May take a few days for car to get on Motor Insurance Database.
Did anyone have any issues when insuring their new MG4?

Mine was registered a few days before they informed me it was ready so it was on the database before I started to get the insurance quotes.

I had a broker quote for insurance on my trophy, £1900 !!! But then managed to bring it down to £1700… called my existing company (admiral) who did it for £600… which was fair as the compare sites were around £600 too. This was only a little more expensive than my existing ICE car… always shop around

the dealership gave me the Reg a week before so admiral updated the details before pickup

ask your dealer for drive away insurance. It's with MG direct and is free. That's what i got which allows you to get home and take your time reviewing ridiculous, outrageous, scandalous insurance prices from across the web. :)

Our car isn't searchable by Reg yet, but insurance company accepted it based on make and model.
Mid-term change to policy on the car that we are PXing, was £10 for the remaining couple of months, which makes it around £350 for the year.
I expect that will go up when it actually comes to renewing.

I switched from a GTD Golf, and they gave me £40 back with 1 month remaining on the policy - roughly made it £370. Then the renewal came through and it was £560...

I'm with LV and when I changed mine over they didn't have my reg on their database but just covered it on the make and model with the reg I gave them.
FWIW, make sure you quote "MG Motors UK" as the make not just "MG"
It cost me £16 for the last month of my previous policy (plus £15 adjustment fee) and £246 a month later to renew.

See this thread:

There are stories of insurance costs increasing a lot this year due to various factors.

The insurance industry no doubt wanted to jump on the ‘raise all the prices’ bandwagon…even though some of them have gone entirely to remote working now, so their overheads are bound to be less than they were. It’s like oil : petrol companies in a lot of ways - license to print money!

Remember - If the quote bot comes back with a variation on "Please contact us", it's because the staff want to laugh at you in person! 🤪

EDIT - What? This actually happened to a guy I used to work with 20 years ago, who (at age 23) was trying to insure himself on a used BMW 325i. The quotes that actually had numbers were all over £3k!

Last edited:
Had the call from dealer this afternoon and informed new MG4 would be ready for collection this evening, we contacted insurance company to swap insurance and they could not find car it on their database so could not insure. After contacting them 3 more times we asked to speak to supervisor, he eventually went to another provider and came back with a quote for £1500 a little up on previous insurance of £240.
We will take MG temporary insurance out tomorrow £25 for 5 days.
May take a few days for car to get on Motor Insurance Database.
Did anyone have any issues when insuring their new MG4?
No. We insured with Saga and their quote was very good.

I insured with Adrian Flux £380 protected NCB which at the time i thought was a bit steep. All things considered though and looking at other peoples quotes not too bad.

I paid something like £650 for my MG4 SE LR last September, and that was like over £100 more expensive than my Tesla Model3 Performance! Figured it might have something to do with not many insurance have the MG4 on their system?
But this time I was confident it’s going to be cheaper, but it remains the same, for comparison purposes, I also got a quote for Model3 performance and it shot up to £1500!! Are they taking the pee!!!
Anyone who has a Xpower on order, make sure you sit yourself down first before you look at the premium!

Last edited:
I paid something like £650 for my MG4 SE LR last September, and that was something like over £100 more expensive than my Tesla Model3 Performance! Figured it might have something to do with not many insurance have the MG4 on their system?
Thanks for the heads -up as was hoping the same (similar circumstances)- mines is due in 5 weeks via Saga, so will no doubt find out in the next few weeks.

TBH, I’ve also tried Model Y LR, and that’s also around £1500!!
What’s going on? It can’t be a £1000 more!!
I will definitely get a quote first before I commit myself especially if it’s a performance vehicle.

Yes, had this problem, mine wasn't searchable by reg on the database, so I just picked make/model from drop down list. Insurer for my ICE car wanted about £600. Shopped around and RAC came back under £300. Their policies are underwritten by who? Yes, you guessed it, the insurer of my ICE car! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

TBH, I’ve also tried Model Y LR, and that’s also around £1500!!
What’s going on? It can’t be a £1000 more!!
I will definitely get a quote first before I commit myself especially if it’s a performance vehicle.
... okay I've just done quidco, wtf, yes its £490 from LV! (I think saga was ~£350 last year): hopefully Saga will come with something better, my recently retired sister just noted something similar, theirs went from £300 to £600, but she rang up and got it to £350. I have my old tigian 170 sport (hence my user name) which ive kept from new in 2008, it went from £160 to £180 at renewal this year (again with saga), there is something fishy going on.

Just received my renewal quote for my mg which was delivered last month. £820 for the year. Age 30, had my licence 5 years, no claims. Seems ridiculous price but it has been the best I can find, unfortunately everything including insurance has increased in price!

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 532 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back